Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading speakers and amp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading speakers and amp

so i plan on changing out the speakers and amp because the bose speakers sound like **** with my f90bt (not sure if its the bose speakers or the fact that i dont know what im doing with the EQ and other settings on the f90bt). if i were to replace the speakers and amp, would i be able to just use the existing wiring thats in the car, or would i have to run new wires up to the speakers from the amp?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 AM
What's the size (ga) of those wires running from the Bose amp to the Bose speakers? I suspect that, well, yes you'd be able to use them, speaker wire is speaker wire is speaker wire, provided connections are good and that wire protective shielding isn't torn.

What are you planning on buying for new amp + speakers, just out of curiosity?
If you're just fielding for ideas at this time, and I know some are dead links, but here's a good starting point...
http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=324255

Old 04-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you will have to run new wires if you plan on bypassing the bose set up

its not really hard to do.

Running the wires thought the front doors is a little hard, but more time consuming than anything

their is a DIY if you search a bit.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM
im just trying to get ideas for down the line. there are a few other upgrades that i want to do to the car before replacing the speakers and amp. Would just replacing the speakers while still using the bose amp show some better results?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 AM
speakers will make a difference . You can use 2ohm or 4ohm with the bose set up.

Please dont think that just because its a 4ohm driver you will get less output. It will be about even

An amp would be your best choice for better sound and more output.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
is it better just to upgrade the speakers and amp, or would upgrading just the speakers be fine?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:36 AM
upgrading to a good amp and a good set of speakers will make a HUGE change from stock.

Your only limit is budget and installer skills

Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Ultimate fact: the Bose amp is a real POS compared to any decent stereo/multi-chan aftermarket amp. Your call.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
upgrading to a good amp and a good set of speakers will make a HUGE change from stock.

Your only limit is budget and installer skills
havent really came up with a budget yet because i havent looked at speaker/amp prices in a while. i dont know what to expect to pay for a decent set of everything or even what brands/models are considered good now-a-days. I dont care about having the absolute best out there, but i also dont want the crappiest stuff either. maybe you guys could suggest some stuff and ill look at the prices and see if the prices sound good to me?

i do know i dont want a sub, but i do like some bass, so keep that in mind when making suggestions.

as far as my skills go, i intalled my f90bt(uncluding back up cam) myself. the wiring job behind the f90 doesnt look the prettiest, but all joints are soldered and taped.

other thing to keep in mind. ive never worked with speaker or sub amps before, so this would be a first if i installed it myself.

Last edited by bina12834; 04-05-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Whats your overall budget?

Amp/Speakers/wires/etc... Get a budget you are comfortable with.

Always remember that you can upgrade whenever.

I would get some decent wires, since you will more than likely not change them out.

Knukonceptz.com for wires.

Amps and speakers are all subjective to your ears.

Ive tried $500 sets that people loved. My ears didn't like em.

Do you have a car toys or similar close to you? A local shop?

This will give you a good starting place to what kinda sound you are looking for.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Yeah... can't really advise on prices if we don't know where you're gonna be buying from. There are huge price diff's between CarToys & online retailers.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
Whats your overall budget?

Amp/Speakers/wires/etc... Get a budget you are comfortable with.

Always remember that you can upgrade whenever.

I would get some decent wires, since you will more than likely not change them out.

Knukonceptz.com for wires.

Amps and speakers are all subjective to your ears.

Ive tried $500 sets that people loved. My ears didn't like em.

Do you have a car toys or similar close to you? A local shop?

This will give you a good starting place to what kinda sound you are looking for.
like i said above, i dont even know what speakers/amps are good these days or even what i should be expecting to pay. maybe you guys can suggest some combos and ill let you know whether the prices are more or less than im willing to pay?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by drozzy
Yeah... can't really advise on prices if we don't know where you're gonna be buying from. There are huge price diff's between CarToys & online retailers.
i dont really have a specific place that i was going to look at. i dont mind buying online or in a store. there isnt a car toys by me. i was expecting to buy everything online since they usually yield the better deals and lower prices.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
What kind of music do you listen to, primarily? Are you a bass junkie, or more a picky SQ listener? [goal being __% SPL / __% SQ]

What other systems have you heard in the past, can you describe them to us? What did, didn't you like about them?

Have you even looked at The Menu, from caraudioforum.com which I linked in my 1st post here?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 AM
probably one of the better entry to mid component

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SPX-17REF.html

For an amp. I like Rockfords new small amps. Im currently running a P3002. 100watts RMS per side. It sounds really good and ran me about $300 at best buy.

Id say $500-$600 if your buying online and installing it yourself is a good budget.

Probably close to $1000 if you are getting a set of speakers and amp installed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: upgrading speakers and amp