Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikNYC
Yup, that's what i did. I also remember having to trim down four little numb from the jdm bezel for it to sit flush too.
yeah i dint touch the bezel, i would have been pissed if would haves messed up lol, hopefully i get to finish everything tommorow.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by michael454rs
yeah i dint touch the bezel, i would have been pissed if would haves messed up lol, hopefully i get to finish everything tommorow.
Sounds good. Once it's all said and done, install the latest firmware that was just released a couple days ago.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...l=DMX7704S#app

Old 10-22-2017, 01:49 PM
so i wire everything plugged everythng in and it works but the radio wont turn off when i shut down the car. sterring wheel control not working either light flashes green and red

Last edited by michael454rs; 10-22-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:44 PM
so i gave up for today, for the life of me i could not figure out how to get the radio to shut off when i turn of the car. in the process i managed to mess up both the kenwood harness and pac audio harness from cutting and splicing trying to see what i did wrong. i followed the diagrams and nothing. Ive done this many time but right now im stuck and cant figure out what to do. i need to get a replacement harness for my stereo and the pac audio harness as well. As for the asw1c no luck either. i did the connections in the trunk and and did not insert the plug back into the module. In the front i cut the wires and added a pig tail for removal just in case i sell the car but did not have any luck. followed the instructions as well to the specific wires luck. snapped a pic of where i made my connections

i got ground and switched power from the radio.

what do you guys recommend i check as far as the stereo issues. i made all the right connections checked a million time i just dont know what i can be doing wrong.

Last edited by michael454rs; 10-22-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a pic of the head unit installed its the dmx7704s.

yeah i had to leave a little sunken in but i looks amazing i di not had drill any new whole just modified the bezel that with head unit. i just ran all the wiring for amp whic was a pain in the butt, taped into rever wire at the kick panel as well. tommorow i will be cutting the three wires in tbe trunk for the steering wheel controls as well as wiring the aswc1 and the pac audion adapter, i also purchased a flush mount dual usb cable and will mount in the center glove box.
Originally Posted by ErikNYC
Looks good. Did you trim the radio bezel down? I remember trimming around the edge of the bezel and cutting two nubs off to allow the radio to sit as flush as possible.

PS: You will love this radio. Great price, and Waze works well with it.
How did you guys manage to get the jdm dd kit faceplate to mate with the bracket with the Kenwood trim on? I trimmed the bottom two edges to get the trim to slide into the jdm faceplate but when I tried screwing the jdm faceplate onto the bracket, it wouldn't mate because of the trim interfering.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
so i gave up for today, for the life of me i could not figure out how to get the radio to shut off when i turn of the car. in the process i managed to mess up both the kenwood harness and pac audio harness from cutting and splicing trying to see what i did wrong. i followed the diagrams and nothing. Ive done this many time but right now im stuck and cant figure out what to do. i need to get a replacement harness for my stereo and the pac audio harness as well. As for the asw1c no luck either. i did the connections in the trunk and and did not insert the plug back into the module. In the front i cut the wires and added a pig tail for removal just in case i sell the car but did not have any luck. followed the instructions as well to the specific wires luck. snapped a pic of where i made my connections

i got ground and switched power from the radio.

what do you guys recommend i check as far as the stereo issues. i made all the right connections checked a million time i just dont know what i can be doing wrong.
Well, for starters, that yellow wire from that harness needs to be grounded to the chassis for the reference ground or the ASWC won't be able to read anything from the steering wheel controls. Without pictures of the other harnesses, I can't give any more help.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Well, for starters, that yellow wire from that harness needs to be grounded to the chassis for the reference ground or the ASWC won't be able to read anything from the steering wheel controls. Without pictures of the other harnesses, I can't give any more help.
yeah i notuced that after checking out o the vehicle. so just to recap the yellow wire i will ground to the metal brace at the bottom can i also ground the aswc wire to the same ground?

as for the pac audio returned it and im going with the
70-7550. from all the splicing and connecting i butchered the head unit harness as well, so i ordered one as well i will wire everything up and will take a pictures so you can check it out. ill wire up the aswc tommorow and take pictures for reference. thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by michael454rs; 10-24-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Genthusiast35
How did you guys manage to get the jdm dd kit faceplate to mate with the bracket with the Kenwood trim on? I trimmed the bottom two edges to get the trim to slide into the jdm faceplate but when I tried screwing the jdm faceplate onto the bracket, it wouldn't mate because of the trim interfering.
the trim bezel for the kenwood head unit i had to cut in tapered way to get it to fit flush my cuts were not that great but the jdm bezel hides them well.

The following users liked this post:
ErikNYC (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 PM
the trim bezel for the kenwood head unit i had to cut in tapered way to get it to fit flush my cuts were not that great but the jdm bezel hides them well.
Yeah but isn't the trim bezel too thick? I tapered it as well but it wouldn't allow the faceplate to mate with the bracket. Hmmm.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
yeah i notuced that after checking out o the vehicle. so just to recap the yellow wire i will ground to the metal brace at the bottom can i also ground the aswc wire to the same ground?

as for the pac audio returned it and im going with the
70-7550. from all the splicing and connecting i butchered the head u it harnessas well so i ordered one as well i will wire everything up and will take a picture so you can check it out. ill wire up the aswc tommorow and take pictures for reference. thanks in advance guys.
Sorry if I missed this, but I assume you are non-Bose?

OEM NIS2 made a difference in the stock speaker sound quality of my car for sure w

Old 10-24-2017, 01:48 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Genthusiast35
Yeah but isn't the trim bezel too thick? I tapered it as well but it wouldn't allow the faceplate to mate with the bracket. Hmmm.
Dremel it down until it fits.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Sorry if I missed this, but I assume you are non-Bose?

OEM NIS2 made a difference in the stock speaker sound quality of my car for sure w
I do have the Bose system. what I cant figure out is why my head unit keeps receiving power and wont shut off when I turn the vehicle off. After relooking everything over everything seemed to be connected correctly like the write up states, the only difference was that I also connected the power antenna wire from the head unit the switched power wire.

the description of the antenna wire on the owners manual is as followed

Depending on what antenna you are using connect either to control terminal of the motor antenna or to the power terminal for the booster amplifier of the film type antenna. (max. 300mA, 12V)

here is a pic of the wiring diagram and description.

the write say nothing about the blue antenna wire coming from the head unit so I figured they all went together. can this be causing my head unit to still be receiving power after the car is shut down. even after the door is open cutting accessory power the unit still stays on. with stock unit it would shut off.

Last edited by michael454rs; 10-24-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
The blue from the headunit goes to the switched power of the car, or red From the car. Maybe you hooked up an always on (yellow) wire in there.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:22 AM
I do have the Bose system. what I cant figure out is why my head unit keeps receiving power and wont shut off when I turn the vehicle off. After relooking everything over everything seemed to be connected correctly like the write up states, the only difference was that I also connected the power antenna wire from the head unit the switched power wire.

the description of the antenna wire on the owners manual is as followed

Depending on what antenna you are using connect either to control terminal of the motor antenna or to the power terminal for the booster amplifier of the film type antenna. (max. 300mA, 12V)

here is a pic of the wiring diagram and description.

the write say nothing about the blue antenna wire coming from the head unit so I figured they all went together. can this be causing my head unit to still be receiving power after the car is shut down. even after the door is open cutting accessory power the unit still stays on. with stock unit it would shut off.
Should've just gotten the PAC ROEM-NIS2. Would've made your life so much easier.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
The blue from the headunit goes to the switched power of the car, or red From the car. Maybe you hooked up an always on (yellow) wire in there.
what about the blue from the adapter harness where does that one go?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List