Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doing something wrong but don't know what

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doing something wrong but don't know what

hey guys i got 05 coupe w bose.

i haven't ordered the JDM piece yet but i got the harness in the mail today, just wanted to check out if my old head unit and accessories still work fine. i have no reason to think it wouldn't work except that it's been sitting in a box for 2 years.

so there are 4 harness pieces that go from the car to the stock head unit/ac unit. i take out the two that go to the stereo, put them into my 70-7550 which is connected properly to my kenwood and i can't get any power or anything out of the kenwood. i thought it might be a blown fuse but it's not. so i found an old pioneer head unit, tried that one too, and not getting any power. can't figure out what i'm doing wrong here. any ideas? i plugged the stock radio back in and it's working as expected. WTF

thanks

Old 05-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not familiar with G35 radios, but it sounds like you don't have any power going to your aftermarket radio. Maybe you picked up the wrong harness?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
It's the wrong harness, but that isn't this problem.

Where did you run the ground during this?

The stock headunit grounds through the body itself, so unless you've grounded the new harness directly to the body it's unlikely to power up.

If the harness is fully connected, check your fuses.

Now if you get everything connected and there's a bunch of noise, you need the PAC ROEM-NIS2 in place of the 70-7550 harness.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:20 AM
ok you are saying i have the wrong harness? I don't understand that cause i actually used your guide to pick out the harness. which harness should i have gotten? thanks for the quick response!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:30 AM
by the way i did check fuses and everything's good. when i say i used your guide to pick out the harness, i used the '2005 coupe with bose replacing factory amp'. i haven't replaced the amp yet, but should that matter? all i'm trying to do is power it up.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Okay, if you're replacing the amp, then you got the right one. It appeared you were trying to keep using the Bose amp at first.

If fuses are good, then just make sure the ground wire from the new headunit's harness is grounded.
If you've a multimeter, it would be easiest to check to make sure power's coming in properly.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 AM
well i'm not replacing the amp i'm just going to bypass it after the new HU is installed. right now the amp is stil plugged in. does that make a difference? i'm thinking i should still get power to the unit, right?

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Check ground first as everyone else has suggested. I used the two screws under the radio as that is the same factory grounding location (bracket).

Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
ok i never answered wrathernuts question about where i grounded. my deck has a black wire and i hooked it up to the ground wire coming out of the harness. are you all telling me i need to do something different like hook up the ground/black wire from my HU's harness to one of the screws under the radio? sorry if this sounds so stupid but i don't remember doing this for any of my other vehicles. it has been a while though.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by thedaynos
ok i never answered wrathernuts question about where i grounded. my deck has a black wire and i hooked it up to the ground wire coming out of the harness. are you all telling me i need to do something different like hook up the ground/black wire from my HU's harness to one of the screws under the radio? sorry if this sounds so stupid but i don't remember doing this for any of my other vehicles. it has been a while though.
It would appear you just tied two ground wires together, none of which is connected to the body of the car to actually ground it.

Connect those black wires to the metal of the car as BaracaG35 mentioned, and you should be powered up.