Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How does the stock bose suck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How does the stock bose suck?

I'm no audio guru.. Probably my weakest point when it comes to cars.. Every single car i've owned had a BOSE premium audio system in it.. They have all sounded good and all have gotten complements from friends. Especially the G's..

I do admit that my 93 Acura Legend's Bose Premium sound was WAY better, louder, cleaner, bassier, and more crisp sounding than my 03 G35 but the G is good.

Just wondering in full detailed explanation how does the bose suck? Whats better? Is it low quality cheap parts? I know the HU is not made by bose though..

Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
it's not THAT bad compared to other factory systems. Then again, the other systems don't have a seperate amp, subwoofers, and a high sticker price.

With all those extra components and the amount of money people willing to pay for bose, the sound should be much better than what it is. Heck, with a cheap aftermarket headunit, cheap aftermarket amp, and an 8inch sub(or even a pair of 6x9s), i can almost guarantee the sound would be 5x better than bose and would still cost less. Just my opinion.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i mean the bose in my coupe gets the job done, im not a fan of big amps and w/e but sometimes i even drive with it off because i just wanna hear my exhaust

Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bass is boomy, mids are none existent and highs aren't overly clear. We also have a 2008 Honda CRV EX-L with the upgraded sound system and it literally blows the G's Bose system out of the water.

I do a bit of recording and have some high end Sennheiser headphones, so it's quite possible I'm just picky. But I was rather disappointed with the G's sound system. If only upgrading to quality speakers, amp and sub wasn't a $2000 kick to the groin. At that point I'd rather listen to the sweet, sweet exhaust

Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 AM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
sbf

Old 08-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Unlike most of the people here, I had two G35s. One with the base system, one with the Bose system. Both sedans. The base system sounded clearer and much better when the volume was way up.

It just solidifies the fact that bose isn't an audio company. They're a marketing company that happens to sell audio stuff. It's no different from any of those trashy multi-level marketing pyramid schemes out there. Yeah, there's something they sell to make it legal, but really, the product doesn't matter, they're just trying to get people to buy it under the impression that it's "premium".

There is nothing out there, *nothing* that bose makes that is better than anything comparably priced.

I'm pretty sure the only reason any manufacturers choose them is some huge kick-backs from the deal.

Bose makes their stuff bad enough that it sounds "different" from high-quality gear, which tends to sound similar to other high-quality gear (similarly great!). They're manage to deceive the naive and uninformed that that difference is better. It's like selling poop sandwiches at a roast beef sandwich convention for 10x the price, it's different, so they claim it's better.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hahaha alright I get it.. So its more of a not worth it at all what-so-ever for the price thing and way cheaper systems sound better.

Got it. I don't really care about the expensive package thing because I bought the car used and it had it in there anyways.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, when I bought my second sedan, it had the Bose system in it. At first I thought it sounded fine, maybe better than my wife's base system. Then, after listening to CDs on mine (still stock) I listened to those songs as MP3s from ones burned earlier for my wife's car.

MP3s sounded better coming from her car than the source CDs did playing in my car.

Bose doesn't publish specifications on their products, probably for two reasons:
1) Their parts are so cheap they probably couldn't match them reliably and get sued for false advertising.
2) They're embarassed by what what their actual specifications are.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt pay more for it but its all opinion. I was actually surprised how good it sounded with only changing the radio.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually love mine For me the sound is amazing and even when turned up to the max, the quality is still high .

Bose is definitely not for guys who want to entertain their block.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The bose isnt really bose

some parts are made by clarion, which isnt anything new. Lots of companies use the same parts as others.

From a stock perspective...it seems most cars just have to much bass. And its not even like they try. The bass is boomy and WAY over emphasized .

My wifes CX-7 sounds like a night club with all the boomy bass. its awful and im gonna swap it out next spring.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
The old school Delco radios with 6x9's used to slam! haha

Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the front speakers for one is not good... i swapped out the front with polk 6.5 components (cheap but good sound) and that alone was fine for me as im not a bass head nor do i listen to music all that loud.

but i was getting tired of looking at the eye sore (cassette deck) on my 04 so decided to keep the car and swap out the HU with dd and have MP3 capability. i still have the same polk and bose system in my car. im okay with it. not the best sound but it'll do for me.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not all the speakers that result in the unsatisfactory sound. A few months ago I installed the new JBL MS-8 in my '04 Sedan with Bose using all the factory speakers and deck and it sounding 5 times better then before. I've since ditched all the factory equipment besides the factory deck and sub on the rear deck. Decent speakers can sound pretty damn good with some damn good processing. Keep in mind that the MS-8 has an internal 8 channel amp built in that powered all the speakers and more processing power then a space shuttle.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:33 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You can make excuses for it all day long, but in the end, the $2,000 the Bose system added to the price is the worst $2,000 amp, four speakers, two tweeters and a sub (or pair of 6x9s) that $2,000 can buy.

Therefore, it sucks, sucks, sucks!