Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

g35 non-nav to oem Nav system help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I'm chiming in late, but avoid the stock nav - but for one reason only - the mini-joystick. more times that not, it fails. if I could replace that mini-joystick with something else, I would.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont see anything wrong with installing a factory nav. yes a garmin would be cheaper but its not the same. im 95% sure your car will have the correct wiring needed you will gust need a 05+ screen, nav controls, and dvd

Old 09-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by lechols155
i dont see anything wrong with installing a factory nav. yes a garmin would be cheaper but its not the same. im 95% sure your car will have the correct wiring needed you will gust need a 05+ screen, nav controls, and dvd
Yes, there's nothing "wrong" with installing a factory nav except for the plethora of reasons already stated. "Not the same", yes, as in an Infiniti is not the same as a Kia. While the Kia may have built-in theft protection as being horrible, it's worse in pretty much every other way, except in the case of the OEM navigation system, unlike the Kia it's actually more expensive than what's better.
You think there's reason to go with OEM navigation. That's your opinion and throwing that into this thread is fine.

However:

95% sure based on what, your a-s-sumptions? You're 100% wrong. Please refrain from just making stuff up based on other cars you may or may not have worked with. There's wiring diagrams, service manuals and posts from people who have some history from this car that give information based on facts. It's nice that you want to help, but throwing out completely false information doesn't help anyone, and serves as some confusion from somebody who may be skimming the threads.

No, there is not wiring for navigation in the non-navigation cars.
05+ is also wrong. The 05s have different navigation from the 06s and 07s. And the 03s. And the 04s.

There's also the issue of the height of the trim in the non-nav cars vs. nav cars in 05-07s, but you forgot that too in the list of parts required you just thought of based on your "experience". If you'd even taken your radio out once, you'd know there's no extra harnesses back there that would correspond to a navigation system.

Sorry to come off harsh, but when you jump in late to a thread and contradict answers with stuff you've flat out pulled out of your butt, you're detrimental to a board that's here to help people out. If you bother to look at any of the service manuals, threads on OEM nav installations, or this very thread you wouldn't need to make stuff up.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM
sorry i didnt know you were a g35 wiring expert. how many g35 radios have you changed? my point is if the guy wants to put in a factory nav why are you telling him a garmin is better. if thats what he want and has the $$$ to do it then go for it.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

sorry i didnt know you were a g35 wiring expert. how many g35 radios have you changed? my point is if the guy wants to put in a factory nav why are you telling him a garmin is better. if thats what he want and has the $$$ to do it then go for it.
How many personally? 5.
How many have I walked other users through with help? I lost track long, long ago.
How many have referenced my FAQ/shopping/resource list? Well, the hits on that post are up to well over 7,000, so I would have to guess that at least a few dozen have taken my advice there.
How many people have I helped through wiring to keep nav voice? About a half dozen.
How many installations of OEM nav to non-nav equipped models when the guy couldn't be talked out of it? two.
How to re-wire an 06 navigation system to work in an 05? one.
So yeah, I would say I'm as close to an expert as this forum has for wiring up the radio.

Your opinion of the Garmin vs. OEM is fine to post, but posting up "I'm 95% sure that this will work" contrary to "expert" advice is silly.

I'm telling him that a Garmin is better because of the time, money and expertise required in the stock nav installation. It's advice that can save the requester time, money and end up with a better system in the end.

Call me crazy, but helping people save time, money and frustration is not something you have to explain, while posting up an incomplete list of required parts and making it sound easy is the exact opposite.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=Wrathernaut;5330924]How many personally? 5.
I'm telling him that a Garmin is better because of the time, money and expertise required in the stock nav installation. It's advice that can save the requester time, money and end up with a better system in the end.

just seems to me you are trying to force a garmin on to him and not just give your opinion.

can you let us know ALL parts needed for a non nav to favtory nav install. and about how long it would take to complete.
i believe thats what mjholla19 was asking in the first place

Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Not forcing at all, just trying to make them realize the mistake they're making in attempting this. If it were a simple plug & play installation, it wouldn't be bad at all, but where it's a ton more work for something far inferior, it's worth making them painfully aware of what they're considering.

can you let us know ALL parts needed for a non nav to favtory nav install. and about how long it would take to complete.
Did you even bother reading anything in this thread:
Third Post - my very first reply to the thread.

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You need to spend more than a DDin will cost you.
You will have an outdated, crappy navigation system.

Or you could spend $100 and buy a portable navigation system that is in every way better.

You need:
05 Headunit + Nav screen combo
05 Nav unit (dvd drive piece)
05 Nav Wiring harness
GPS antenna
About 12 man hours

Stock navigation sucks worse than a $100 garmin, either go with a slick in-dash unit and risk it getting stolen, or do the garmin.

If you search, you'll find somebody full installation experience doing the stock retrofit to get an idea of what you'd be getting in to.
In short, everything in this picture, plus the DVD unit.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-02-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:44 PM
i did read the entire thread not sure how i missed your first post. i can see it being a hard install sense infiniti has a separate wire harness for nav and non nav cars. if you read my first post i listed everything you did but left out the antenna. i made a mistake, i have worked on a non nav radio and thought there were plugs for the nav.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

i did read the entire thread not sure how i missed your first post. i can see it being a hard install sense infiniti has a separate wire harness for nav and non nav cars. if you read my first post i listed everything you did but left out the antenna. i made a mistake, i have worked on a non nav radio and thought there were plugs for the nav.
You listed everything that anyone with common sense would know - the big parts that are obviously necessary to the install. Beyond that, everything was flat out wrong. You omitted the parts that aren't in plain sight, and even those that are in plain sight, you were wrong about - only an 05 unit will work in an 05, not 05+, and the wiring isn't there.

Again, great that you want to help, but doing a little research before posting in ignorance is always a good thing.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:44 AM
lol you just hate anyone that doesnt agree with you. i thought the wiring was there, you said its not ok i was wrong thats why i said 95% sure not defiantly. other than that i was right

Old 09-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

lol you just hate anyone that doesnt agree with you. i thought the wiring was there, you said its not ok i was wrong thats why i said 95% sure not defiantly. other than that i was right
The only part you were right about was expressing your opinion that the factory nav is ok, and the blatantly obvious components required, even then, you were wrong with the fact that any 05+ would work.

Caveating bunk you made up with no knowledge or research on the subject with "95%" doesn't change the fact that you put out 100% misleading information.

Regardless, this conversation has strayed way too far from the thread's intent at this point, so unless somebody posts up questions about the conversion that haven't already been discussed, I'm done with it.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not to hijack this thread (at which it appears to be going down a dangerous path already) - wrathernaut, is there a way to "mod" out the mini-joystick? or could mine just be old and busted, thus my troubles....

Old 09-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I've never dissected the joystick, but from what I've seen of it from doing the Dual zone conversion, I would guess that it's five microswitches, which, with some careful soldering, could be replaced with other buttons. If I had an original to play with an a multimeter out here, I could check it out more in-depth, but I'm about 4 months away from my car at this point.

If somebody were willing to ship one out with a multimeter, I could play with it.
I think it wouldn't be too difficult to put a similarly-sized four-button ring in there with a middle button, and just wire the contacts to the original board.

I think a setup like a four or 8-way D-Pad from a game controller like from a sega genesis or similar when they were actual switches, with an enter key off to the side could work very easily int he space provided.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-03-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Oh and on-topic, I dug up the thread from the OEM Nav install, hopefully the pictures are all still working:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...uiped-g-3.html

Final tally from jfdeltoro:
Yea i hear ya,
Total spent was:

$650 on a used unit
$175 on a used harness
$30-$40 on misc wiring pieces like taps, shrinkwrap, electrical tape, tools. blah blah blah.

Total time spent: about 3 days work, if i had a matching harness... maybe one day.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Wrathernaut i dont think it will be that easy here is a pic of the joystick controller

as far as the other discussion im out thanks for the bashing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: g35 non-nav to oem Nav system help