Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

* * Navigation Help * *

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2010 | 02:36 PM
|
* * Navigation Help * *

Hi Everyone

I own a 03 G35 coupe and I am looking to purchase a navigation system for it. I am not quiet sure on what I should look for, or if I should go aftermarket or OEM, however I am looking for a navigation system that is VERY detailed. I don't care too much about what add-ons the navigation supports along as the system is VERY VERY DETAILED with TURNS & SENSE OF DIRECTION.

All opinions and comments are welcomed!

Thanks for everyone's time!!

Old 08-20-2010 | 03:24 PM
probably cheaper to buy a Double Din kit and aftermarket headunit. unless someone has a oem navi kit they can sell you

Old 08-20-2010 | 03:25 PM
Old 08-20-2010 | 03:27 PM
|
Originally Posted by GThirtyFive4Me
probably cheaper to buy a Double Din kit and aftermarket headunit. unless someone has a oem navi kit they can sell you
but which one is better and more DETAILED oem or an aftermarket deck? I was also told that I would lose my steer wheel buttons if I go after market?

thanks for your reply!

Old 08-20-2010 | 03:29 PM
well if your good with electronics and wiring then go for OEM.. i posted Link for OEM NAVI kit.. for sale on ebay mad cheap.. all you need is to get the wiring.

Old 08-20-2010 | 03:31 PM
|
Originally Posted by GThirtyFive4Me
well if your good with electronics and wiring then go for OEM.. i posted Link for OEM NAVI kit.. for sale on ebay mad cheap.. all you need is to get the wiring.
but are the OEM navi's MORE detailed then after market? and what after market deck could come in comparison to it.

Old 08-20-2010 | 05:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
No, OEM sucks compared to a $100 garmin.

Don't waste your time or money doing it.

Old 08-20-2010 | 05:56 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Any aftermarket deck with navigation is probably going to be better.

If navigation is your top priority, Kenwood headunits have garmin built-in, but you pay a big premium for it.

I'm very happy with the navigation built into the new Pioneer units, and if that 30% deal is still going on amazon, you can get the kick-*** X920BT for under $600!

Old 08-20-2010 | 11:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Any aftermarket deck with navigation is probably going to be better.

If navigation is your top priority, Kenwood headunits have garmin built-in, but you pay a big premium for it.

I'm very happy with the navigation built into the new Pioneer units, and if that 30% deal is still going on amazon, you can get the kick-*** X920BT for under $600!
hey bro, which is better out of the two kenwood or or pioneer? and are you using a new pioneer deck? and is the navigation DETAILED?

Old 08-21-2010 | 03:14 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Go to a store and check out the nav on both of them, or hit up youtube and watch people showing them off and make your choice. They're both DETAILED.

Old 08-21-2010 | 09:29 AM
|
Go to a store and check out the nav on both of them, or hit up youtube and watch people showing them off and make your choice. They're both DETAILED.
thnks for your quick replies bro! and I was wondering will I lose sound quality of my bose speakers? im not looking to change any speakers or anything just the deck.

Old 08-21-2010 | 11:58 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Some people have had problems with quietness with an aftermarket headunit replacing the Bose unit. Those who have had that problem have had success with the PAC ROEM-NIS2 in place of the standard wiring harness (Metra 70-7551).

Old 08-21-2010 | 12:03 PM
|
Some people have had problems with quietness with an aftermarket headunit replacing the Bose unit. Those who have had that problem have had success with the PAC ROEM-NIS2 in place of the standard wiring harness (Metra 70-7551).
what do you mean by "quietness" meaning that the bose system isnt as loud as it use to be with the stock deck? also do you have a aftermarket in dash navi and if so which one?

Old 08-21-2010 | 02:49 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Yeah, the 03-04s seem to have it worse as far as not going to full volume.

It's from the headunits not putting out the differential-balanced signal. Basically without a differential-balanced signal, the Bose amp sees half of the intensity of the audio signal as noise and cuts it out. In both the 05's I've done, this wasn't very noticeable, while from reports on here, the 03-04s it's pretty bad.

I have a Pioneer F90BT in one and Z110BT in my other.

Old 08-21-2010 | 03:38 PM
|
Yeah, the 03-04s seem to have it worse as far as not going to full volume.

It's from the headunits not putting out the differential-balanced signal. Basically without a differential-balanced signal, the Bose amp sees half of the intensity of the audio signal as noise and cuts it out. In both the 05's I've done, this wasn't very noticeable, while from reports on here, the 03-04s it's pretty bad.

I have a Pioneer F90BT in one and Z110BT in my other.
hey bro if i purchase a pioneer OR kenwood in dash navigation, would i need to buy the separate box to use the GPS feature of the deck? or everything I need will be in the box. for example a lot of these in dash navigations allow you to hookup ipods and rear view cams but you need to buy add-ons to take advantage of such features...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: * * Navigation Help * *