Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GeneratorLabs VS. AvElectronics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GeneratorLabs VS. AvElectronics

Alright. I don't mean to start a flame war by no means.

I'm in the market to mod my stock NAVI.
Just wanted to know which option was the way to go.

From what i've red and seen, here are my theories and conclusions. If they're wrong, please point them out. It will not only help me but others having a hard time deciding.

***AvElectronics***

PROS: Offers multiple lines for different video feeds. Allows you to switch from NAV to DVD/PS2/Xbox. You can also use a rearview cam if installed.

CONS: Sound quality suffers from FM Modulation. You can use a tape adapter for better quality but will not be digital quality.

Questions/Comments:
If there was a way to make the sound digital, maybe through the SAT prewire, we might have a perfect setup. Is this a possibility?

***GeneratorLabs Interface***

PROS: Superior video quality. (not that i've seen but people that have seen it agree) Ease of install.

CONS: Also uses FM Modulator.

Questions/Comments: As with the avelectronics piece, can this setup be run so that the sound quality is digital?

As stated before, i'm not an expert on the interfaces mentioned above. If anyone can chime in and offer their opinions, advise and suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all that input!!!

| 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Premium Pkg | Aero Pkg | Navigation | SKYLINE+GT350 emblems | Clear Corners | 35% & 50% Tints |

Old 10-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: GeneratorLabs VS. AvElectronics

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/aai.htm

PART# AAI-NIS

You're prayers have already been answered.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:29 AM

I was under the impression the GeneratorLabs Interface is only available for XBox?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:54 AM

GeneratorLabs is currently working on a video cable for the PS2 as we speak. I've been keeping in touch with him on a weekly basis on this. Should be ready anytime soon.

Black 5AT Coupe, Navi, Falken Koblenz 19", HKS Legamax Exhaust, ZTube/Stillen, Grounding Kit, RSR Springs, Tokico DSpec Shocks

Old 10-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

So you're only pro for the Generator is superior video quality. The nav screen is so small I don't think you'll notice the difference. I have the AV unit and love it. I wish I had the new model that allows different sources to be played on different monitors. The PAC upgrade is more than worth the money and your sound will be cd/dvd quality.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
G35Driver.com Business Cards

Old 10-20-2004, 07:31 AM

Actually the nav screen is of high quality and any imperfections in video quality can be seen easily, Anything less than perfect video input would be a shame on such a good monitor

Old 10-20-2004, 07:29 PM

So, the GeneratorLab unit actually produces greater resolution than the AVElectronic unit?

Damn...now I'm torn. I was all set to purchase the AV unit because it had more options that I was interested in.

Trending Topics

Old 10-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is from what I gathered.

Generator:

Pro: PRICE!
Con: Require a X-Box. Can't use another video input device. X-Box is very large and hard to mount in a convinient location.

Possibility: Doesn't make any sense how it only works with the X-Box. If the cable is simply utilize standard AV output from X-Box, there is no reason why this unit can't just use a standard AV input as well.

AV Electronic:

Pro: Possible TV tuner. Multiple AV input. Remote available. Switch between video sources. Proven design.

Con: PRICE! Unit is quite large. Requires separate power source.

CPV35 G35C Maliblue

Old 10-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

It's large but it fits perfectly in the kick panel.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
G35Driver.com Business Cards

Old 10-21-2004, 07:12 AM

The navbox doesnt utilize "standard AV output" from the xbox, It utilizes it's component video output source, For those of you that have seen an xbox connected by component video to a high quality TV than you know the capabilities of the video quality.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:56 PM

So the PAC unit takes a composite RCA input? If so, then the quality isn't as great as the Generator unit since it uses RGB right? GENERATORLABS, or can anyone out there confirm this?

Black 5AT Coupe, Navi, Falken Koblenz 19", HKS Legamax Exhaust, ZTube/Stillen, Grounding Kit, RSR Springs, Tokico DSpec Shocks

Old 10-22-2004, 09:14 PM

Yeah, that's right. The PAC unit is more versatile in that sense (that it can be easily connected to almost anything) - but a true RGB input like the Generator unit would most likely have a better picture quality.

FYI guys: I have a xBox on my Navi through the AV unit. The quality is not bad at all. There are times where I have some difficulty reading the small text on the menus - but it is still legible. Otherwise, for games and movies - it is just fine. I have not had any complaints from friends whatsoever.

Just for comparison sake - the PAC unit uses a standard RCA input, just like the AV Electronics. I imagine the picture quality would be nearly the same.

---------------------------------
**** Official PAC Aux Input Dealer!!! ****
SWI-X units available also!

Navi-Conversion Kits at Discounted Pricing
*Authorized AV Electronic Dealer*

Old 10-23-2004, 09:02 PM

do you know anyone with a modded x-box running a computer that you could plug into you navi. i'm looking into doing this but i'm not too sure if i would be able to read the text on the screen and i haven't seen any pics of it.

Steve

G-Squad Hi-Res Gallery

Old 11-22-2004, 03:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see, would it be difficult to add an extra component input into the NavBox then? I have a PS2 with component cable. Mounting the X-Box is such a PITA I am thinking about just stashing it behind the driver seat when I use it. When I want to play the PS2 I'll just throw the PS2 in the same place.

CPV35 G35C Maliblue

Old 11-22-2004, 12:20 PM

If someone here was following the thread about the PAC video inputs - they are out now and I can ship them next week. I spoke to PAC yesterday - and they have already sold quite a few already.

I posted this here because PAC unit is an alternative to the Generator unit and the AV unit. Check out the other thread which I detail both the AV and the PAC units. It should be of some help.

In short, the AV Unit is for multiple inputs and outputs (plus many many other features), and the PAC unit (which connects in a similar fashion) allows the connection of 1 input only, without sound (no remote either). For sound, most users would probably install the PAC AAI-NIS for nearly perfect sound for their source.

Pricing for the PAC is obviously less than the AV unit...

---------------------------------
**** Official PAC Aux Input Dealer!!! ****
SWI-X units available also!

Navi-Conversion Kits at Discounted Pricing
*Authorized AV Electronic Dealer*