Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AC/Stereo shutoff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC/Stereo shutoff

I drive an '04 Infiniti G35 sedan, and my AC and stereo controls ahve completely shut off. After a bit of research I think it's the problem referenced in the thread below and can be fixed by "rebuilding the power supply AND the CD mechanism".

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...adio-ac-7.html

Is the fix above correct for the problem? Where should I go to get this fixed, and what specifically should I be asking for? I live in the north Dallas area.

I also want to get an Ipod dock or aux cable installed. I'm not sure which one is needed or (if both are acceptable) cheaper. I just want a convenient way to hook my Ipod up to my stereo that isn't terrible quality like an fm transmitter. Also, would it be required to get a new head unit? Additionally, My right front speaker makes some weird noises/vibrations. I can't remember what exactly because my stereo hasn't worked for a while. Does this require a new speaker or...? Should I just ask the technician at the place I decide to go? Would I get this installed at the same time and place as the ac/stereo problem above?

My front bumper paint is all flaking off as well. I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations as to where to go. I checked the "where to go for..." thread and will probably go xtremecollisions because of the proximity unless someone has a better recommendation.

I'm sorry for the pretty long thread, but I'm completely new to pretty much all of this (my previous vehicle never needed any maintenance like this).

I have an identical thread here in the dfw forum:
https://g35driver.com/forums/dfw-g35...ml#post5438882
The problem didn't seem too common, so I wanted to make sure I got the right advice in addition to where to go.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Maniacal
I drive an '04 Infiniti G35 sedan, and my AC and stereo controls ahve completely shut off. After a bit of research I think it's the problem referenced in the thread below and can be fixed by "rebuilding the power supply AND the CD mechanism".

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...adio-ac-7.html

Is the fix above correct for the problem? Where should I go to get this fixed, and what specifically should I be asking for? I live in the north Dallas area.

I also want to get an Ipod dock or aux cable installed. I'm not sure which one is needed or (if both are acceptable) cheaper. I just want a convenient way to hook my Ipod up to my stereo that isn't terrible quality like an fm transmitter. Also, would it be required to get a new head unit? Additionally, My right front speaker makes some weird noises/vibrations. I can't remember what exactly because my stereo hasn't worked for a while. Does this require a new speaker or...? Should I just ask the technician at the place I decide to go? Would I get this installed at the same time and place as the ac/stereo problem above?
You want your radio/ac problem fixed and you want to use an iPod with it?

Get a new double din stereo. Both problem solved.

If the speaker problem persists with the new stereo, it can be dealt with separately.

Is/was your factory unit Bose or not Bose?

Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Is/was your factory unit Bose or not Bose?
Thanks, and it's Bose.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, just hit up my shopping list sticky to see what parts you need in addition to the stereo.

Best for iPod support are Pioneer, the 3200DVD, 3200BT and 4200DVD are very popular choices for good reason. If you want to add navigation, the X920BT or Z120BT are great units. Kenwoods are a bit better for navigation, but I think their poor interface for iPod and higher price for similar units makes them harder to recommend.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yeah, just hit up my shopping list sticky to see what parts you need in addition to the stereo.

Best for iPod support are Pioneer, the 3200DVD, 3200BT and 4200DVD are very popular choices for good reason. If you want to add navigation, the X920BT or Z120BT are great units. Kenwoods are a bit better for navigation, but I think their poor interface for iPod and higher price for similar units makes them harder to recommend.
So, just to double check, I can buy all the following through amazon and bring them to most car audio places, and they could do the install?
1. Metra 40-NI10 - AM/FM Antenna adapter.
2. Metra Installation Kit Infiniti G35 03-04 Silver
3. Metra 70-7551 (Bose) Wiring Harness
4. Steering Wheel Interface that matches the brand of receiver I choose.
5. Receiver

I was looking at the receivers you recommended, and realized I don't need Ipod support sense they all have sd memory card slots. Does this change your recommendations for receivers? I would like to get a nav unit, but would only consider a used one (too expensive). Have you had any experience with used units?
Thanks for your help!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, just with the 03-04, you should probably go with the ROEM-NIS instead of the Metra 70-7551. Some have had it work with the 70-7551, and those people don't complain about it, so no idea what % do work, but there's enough that have had it fail, that it's probably best to go with the ROEM-NIS instead.

SD card support is usually much worse than iPod, since the iPod has a database that can be searched through fast and easily by artist, album, genre, year, playlist... whereas SD card, you're stuck with whatever file structure you have. If you have like a few albums worth, it's ok. If you're like me and carry thousands of songs, there's no choice but iPod.

Used is used, each will be different, but a car stereo just kinda does its thing, there's no maintenance for a headunit, no tires to rotate or oil to change. So long as everything works, you should be fine with it. I would only buy a current-generation used headunit though. Last year's gen might be ok (4100, 3100, D3) but anything older than that, I'd avoid, since they're going to be slower and may not even support the newer iPods, or may even require an adapter to connect to an iPod.