Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Dead Bose Radio/AC controls... help with decisions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010 | 10:20 PM
|
Dead Bose Radio/AC controls... help with decisions...

My bose died and killed my ac/heat controls along with it. I have read the threads here on the subject and wanted to find out some additional information, so i registered.

I have a 2003 G35 sedan. The ac and radio controls are dead, but I can control the radio via my steering wheel controls.

I was thinking of having my radio repaired via ebay for $150, but I read a post by wrathernaut where he told another user that by having it fixed he only resolved 1 of his 3 problems. I guess I'm not following what the other 2 problems are. Anyone know? Sorry don't have a link to that post.

My other option is to follow the guide that is posted as a sticky here and buy a aftermarket unit. The problem is I don't want to spend a lot of money and I want the replacement to fit in and not look like it was done aftermarket. Anyone have suggestions for head unit that would look ok? I was thinking of a touch screen such as this pioneer, but cheaper.... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVHP....html?tp=20217

Also, is it possible to just buy the jdm ac controls and fit them into the stock dash with a little modification of the dash?

Old 11-03-2010 | 02:35 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
There's 3 *very common* problems with the stock radio:
1) controls go out like you have.
2) CD errors where it can't read CDs.
3) unit fails completely and the even the steering wheel controls don't work.

Options are waste money on another stock unit or DDin or waste money repairing a stock unit.

No, you can't replace just the ac controls and keep a stock unit. See the "This is why you need the JDM AC controls sticky"

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:27 AM
|
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
There's 3 *very common* problems with the stock radio:
1) controls go out like you have.
2) CD errors where it can't read CDs.
3) unit fails completely and the even the steering wheel controls don't work.
Thanks for the info!

Options are waste money on another stock unit or DDin or waste money repairing a stock unit.
Is the aftermarket solution a better option? Also, do these repaired units eventually fail again?

No, you can't replace just the ac controls and keep a stock unit. See the "This is why you need the JDM AC controls sticky"
I think I worded my question wrong. I do understand that you have to replace the controls. What I meant to ask was can I get rid of the stock radio and controls... keep the exterior dash and get a aftermarket head unit and just purchase the JDM controls? I would use a dremel or something along the lines to modify the dash unit. Has anyone tried something like this?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:31 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Originally Posted by samm
Thanks for the info!

Is the aftermarket solution a better option? Also, do these repaired units eventually fail again?
Yes, aftermarket radios don't have the same problematic power supply and other failure-prone components. I haven't seen anybody's JDM a/c controls from an aftermarket installation fail.

I can't speak for units repaired by 3rd-party radio repair shops, but the re-manufactured factory units have the same problems and failures.

I think I worded my question wrong. I do understand that you have to replace the controls. What I meant to ask was can I get rid of the stock radio and controls... keep the exterior dash and get a aftermarket head unit and just purchase the JDM controls? I would use a dremel or something along the lines to modify the dash unit. Has anyone tried something like this?

Thanks again for your help!
Yes, somebody's tried it, at least with an 05+, in order to keep the rosewood dash. You end up with a much larger than DDin opening to fill.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...tock-face.html

If you're really handy with a dremel and such, it can turn out fine, otherwise, do it right.

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:32 AM
|
I forgot to add that this morning my radio and ac controls were both working. Does this mean their is some loose wiring or something?

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:40 AM
|
Yes, aftermarket radios don't have the same problematic power supply and other failure-prone components. I haven't seen anybody's JDM a/c controls from an aftermarket installation fail.

I can't speak for units repaired by 3rd-party radio repair shops, but the re-manufactured factory units have the same problems and failures.

Yes, somebody's tried it, at least with an 05+, in order to keep the rosewood dash. You end up with a much larger than DDin opening to fill.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...tock-face.html

If you're really handy with a dremel and such, it can turn out fine, otherwise, do it right.
Thanks again for the info!

Any suggestions on a aftermarket radio? I want something that looks clean like the one in the link you provided and cheap!

Old 11-03-2010 | 10:28 AM
|
For those interested in purchasing a refurbished unit off of ebay:

I asked the seller/refurbisher if the repair is it a permanent fix or can the issue replicate? This was his response:

It is not permenent. We will make our refurbished radio work longer.

Old 11-03-2010 | 10:47 AM
^ i think a better question would be, how long do they guarantee their work for?

Old 11-03-2010 | 10:58 AM
|
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
^ i think a better question would be, how long do they guarantee their work for?
90 day warranty. I don't want to spend $200 and then have it die... I'm going to just get an aftermarket radio... cost will be higher, but should last a bit.

Old 11-03-2010 | 12:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
I'm a fan of the current gen of Pioneer units - 3200DVD, 3200BT, 4200DVD, X920BT, Z120BT.

4200DVD is about the same look as the Z110BT, but lacks the navigation or bluetooth.

Old 11-03-2010 | 12:41 PM
|
I'm a fan of the current gen of Pioneer units - 3200DVD, 3200BT, 4200DVD, X920BT, Z120BT.

4200DVD is about the same look as the Z110BT, but lacks the navigation or bluetooth.
Thanks again for the info! Is there anything specific I need to look at when I make a head unit purchase to make sure that the woofer works?

Old 11-03-2010 | 05:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Nope, the bose amp takes 4 channels in and generates the woofer channel out of the other four.

Just get everything on my shopping list and you're good to go.

Old 11-06-2010 | 06:20 PM
|
Thanks again for the info.

Question: I have a nice set of polk audio speakers that will fit the G35. I'm thinking of replacing the four bose speakers with them. What would I have to do differently? Also, could I replace the 4 speakers and keep the bose sub?

Last edited by samm; 11-06-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: missing words
Old 11-07-2010 | 09:25 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
If your speakers are 2 ohm (no idea without you stating model) that's probably too low for the Bose amp.
If they're 4 ohm they would be fine.

You're fine keeping the sub.

Old 11-07-2010 | 05:33 PM
|
Polk MOMO MMC650 and Polk MOMO MMC525. I believe they are 4ohm speakers, but they are abnormally wide below the speaker. Don't know how big the speaker opening in the g35 is, but hopefully they fit.

650 - http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pr...recent/mmc650/
525 - http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pr...recent/mmc525/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dead Bose Radio/AC controls... help with decisions...