Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

03 Coupe Bose Upgrade Debate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metra will work, yes
It's a bigger job than it seems like..

Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
The metra 70-7551 will give you very low output as it does nothing to compensate for the balanced signal requirement of the Bose amp. Return it and get the pac roem nis2. The SWI-PS will work fine, but is just as expensive and much more complicated to install vs the axxess.

Originally Posted by JVSavarese
Very good advice!

I just ordered the Metra 70-7551, which I thought was for the factory Bose system. Wrong? And the steering contols ... PAC SWI-PS? Also wrong?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
OP, Wrathernaut is definitely the gentlemen you needed to talk to. I've read his write ups and DIYs, and he knows his stuff!! Congrats on the progress made.

-Sean

Old 12-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
JVSavarese, you definitely should have taken this to the A/V forum, some of us have sedans and rarely venture into this forum here.

Anyway, you got a solid price on the 4200DVD, but on a budget like yours, I would have recommended the 3200DVD for $260 from sonicelectronix, or $330 3200BT as they would also include the required antenna adapter free. Yes, it's a slightly smaller screeen, but I've got a 6.1" pioneer in my wife's, and a 7" in mine, and the size difference is irrelevant.

You need the silver finish trim to go with your interior.

The Pioneer like 99.9% of headunits outputs an unbalanced signal. The Bose amp requires a balanced signal. You'll have to get the PAC ROEM-NIS2 (~$40) instead of a regular wiring harness to keep using the Bose amp.

After picking up the Metra trim kit ($150), Metra Axxess ASWC to keep steering wheel controls ($40), antenna adapter ($10), and ROEM-NIS2 ($40) you're pretty much at your full $600 budget.

Once you've got a budget for the next round of upgrades, swing by the A/V forum, and you'll get a lot better recommendations. I'm not the only A/V nut who rarely treads in this forum.

Okay, I'll order the correct harness. The Metra dash kit for the Titanium interior is Silver, correct? I'm ordering that also, but the tan and the silver look similar.

Since I am tapped out budget wise, I thought I might still do sub/amp wiring to the trunk so we can add later on. Is that practical/possible? That way I could address the sub part down the road when I can afford it, but won't have to go back in for surgery.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM
The sub install is simple, pretty sure you can do it yourself. I've only paid for one stereo install my whole life. Check the sticky for adding a sub, it's pretty straight forward. I'm on a budget to so I understand. Matter of fact I'm still using a Precision Power amp from the 90s. Good luck on your upgrade, sure she'll like it. You can add a sub later for a decent price just keep in mind that a lot of G35 owners have a lot of money and expensive taste. My friends are always surprised how little I spend on certain items compared to their performance.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by JVSavarese
Okay, I'll order the correct harness. The Metra dash kit for the Titanium interior is Silver, correct? I'm ordering that also, but the tan and the silver look similar.

Since I am tapped out budget wise, I thought I might still do sub/amp wiring to the trunk so we can add later on. Is that practical/possible? That way I could address the sub part down the road when I can afford it, but won't have to go back in for surgery.
Well, you'll have to get to the back of the headunit to swap out the audio signal wires later anyway, so running those wires isn't going to save any time at this point. Similarly, the power wiring for the amp isn't really helped at all by doing it with the radio, so there's no reason to try and piggyback the amp wiring during this installation.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 12-19-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Well, you'll have to get to the back of the headunit to swap out the audio signal wires later anyway, so running those wires isn't going to save any time at this point. Similarly, the power wiring for the amp isn't really helped at all by doing it with the radio, so there's no reason to try and piggyback the amp wiring during this installation.
I'm still working on the Metra color problem. I plan on visiting some local shops on Monday and see what I can find out. Hopefully they'll know right off the bat if my kit is the Metra norm or if I need a different color. The vendor said he was cool with a return later next week after I got my ducks in a row.

I said I was going to wait on the sub, but I found a deal I thought was too good to pass up. Lightly used by a married young lady. Looks brand new, but I honestly don't know if it's much. I bought an Eclipse Amp XA1000, Infinity 1252w Sub, Sealed box. The size works for the trunk and I paid 80.00 for the package. I need to pick up a wire kit (4 gauge?) and so it ends up it will be part of the install. To review: 4200DVD, Metra Kit, keeping the factory speakers and amp for now (yes, got the wire kit harness you suggested and the steering control harness you suggested, antenna harness). Navigation another time ... not this time. I am sitting at 675.00. Over budget, but I think I did well.

Anything I need to know about the addition of the Sub and amp to my original plan?

Do I need something special so my daughter can use her Ipod with the 4200? I saw something about ipod video not working without buying yet another something?

Old 12-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
With a budget like that, i wouldn't have thrown a dd unit in there. You're spending 150 on just the metra kit. That could have went to speakers.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You'll need the specific iPod cable, there's cheap versions on eBay, but their results are unpredictable.

Nothing special about adding the sub and amp to what you have, since you're replacing the headunit as well. I would run the three pairs of RCAs to the trunk from the headunit though, it'll save you from having to get to the back of the headunit again when you replace the amp for the speakers in the future.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:23 PM
You'll need the specific iPod cable, there's cheap versions on eBay, but their results are unpredictable.

Nothing special about adding the sub and amp to what you have, since you're replacing the headunit as well. I would run the three pairs of RCAs to the trunk from the headunit though, it'll save you from having to get to the back of the headunit again when you replace the amp for the speakers in the future.
Great tip ... I'll likely upgrade the remaining factory for her birthday.

You know, everyone has an opinion. We are thrilled with what we've done for the buck. My daughter decided she wanted the DD DVD, so that's what I had to run with and I don't regret anything.

Merry Christmas to everyone and stay safe New Years. Wrath, I'm sure you'll hear back from me once we open the install can of worms ... Tue or Wed.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

There's nothing regretable about the 4200DVD. I slightly regret not doing it and using the $500 more I spent on the Z110 towards a standalone Garmin, but I love the integration.

I may not be around much the middle-to-end of this week... I've got travel and reacquainting to do.

I'll help whenever I can though.