Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Making a single din player look decent in a G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Making a single din player look decent in a G35

I could've installed this with the standard cubby hole below the CD player buts that just to boring and looks terrible. Instead I decided to move the player to the middle and trim the front in plexiglass. The CD player I'm using is an Addzest HX-D1 which should be back in my possession after some upgrades from a member on DIYMA.com. So, I'm doing what I can without it at the moment.

First thing on the to-do list was figure out a way secure the plexiglass to the dash kit. I had one of my co-workers weld on tabs to the front of the bracket that holds the radio. The brackets just sandwich the acrylic to the backside of the dash kit. Another thing I had to do to the metal bracket was drill out the four holes on the side because they got in the way of the radio with it being moved. As you can see I have some foam wrapped on the brackets also.

To get a general idea of what this will look like and I needed to figure out the best way to cut the acyclic here's a shot below. The hole is too small as you can see. Since I don't have the player I'm not sure how big to make the hole. I'll be moving the player back so the face is flush with the plexi. One thing I need to look into is if it's possible to move it back that far and not hit anything.

On another note, I'll be having another build thread for installing these in the a-pillars.

That's all for today.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmmm nice stuff

what's your username on diyma?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
looks really nice! are you going to mold/ glass/ fabric the A-pillars with the tweeters or just drill holes and pop them in? I am thinking of going with some nice components and putting the tweeters in the Pillars (A and B) but just want to drill and put them in because the tan headliner material is hard to replicate. single din finisher looks great too!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM
I've got the same username over on diyma.

I'll be molding them into the pillars. Looking at aiming them at the center dome light. I've got to get them somwhat on-axis since I won't be running tweeters. Please don't install tweeters in your b-pillars, put them in the sail panels. My L1pro's are installed in mine at the moment.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
niuce!!! cant wait to see the finished product!!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Here are the finished pics. I'm not one for getting in progress shots but to be honest, it's not hard to do. As you can see the only thing that sticks out far is the volume ****. Nothing I can really do about it. I've thought about making a plug of some sort to cover the player up when not in use.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
looks nice but is it just me or is it tilted to the left?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by zoop425
looks nice but is it just me or is it tilted to the left?
Thank you.

Good eye! It may have moved a little. I made the new holes through the bracket slotted a little for adjustment.