Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

USA spec PA15-INFI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by crc1996
Hi all... Just purchased an 07 G35x with factory installed NAV and have been researching adding an iPod adapter. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, it sounds like the USA Spec PA15-INF is the best choice since it hooks up in the trunk. Sounds like the major challenges are making sure it is grounded properly, setting the DIP switches correctly and running/hiding the wire for the actual iPod hookup. Is that correct?

Or would it be easier to get the NIS version and install the unit behind the radio unit (in which case I'm hoping someone has a link to instructions for radio removal in an 07 G35 sedan...)

Thanks much for any help/feedback!
Nope, doesn't work.

The USA SPEC site doesn't list anything compatible with factory navigation-equipped 07-08 G35 Sedans, neither does PAC Audio.

That still leaves wired FM modulators if you want to go that route. You won't have any control over the iPod through the car.

The following users liked this post:
crc1996 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Nope, doesn't work.

The USA SPEC site doesn't list anything compatible with factory navigation-equipped 07-08 G35 Sedans, neither does PAC Audio.

That still leaves wired FM modulators if you want to go that route. You won't have any control over the iPod through the car.
Ugh! That's what I was afraid of. You'd think since Infiniti added the iPod integration directly into the '08 model someone could have figured out how to wire it into the '07. From what I understand, the issue is because of the XM traffic being integrated into the factory NAV.

I wonder if there is a way I can drop the XM in place of the iPod integration? I really would like a direct connect with iPod control through the steering wheel...

Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 AM
And I don't care about XM. I'd rather stream from Pandora.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ugh! That's what I was afraid of. You'd think since Infiniti added the iPod integration directly into the '08 model someone could have figured out how to wire it into the '07. From what I understand, the issue is because of the XM traffic being integrated into the factory NAV.

I wonder if there is a way I can drop the XM in place of the iPod integration? I really would like a direct connect with iPod control through the steering wheel...
Well, the early 03's had incompatible-with-everything bastard radios too, so I guess we know which engineers get the least amount of time to develop for new models over at Infiniti.

EDIT: Just checked the 2007's manual. The reason that it definitely won't work, is that the satellite adapter is integrated into the main a/v unit. The only satellite radio connection on it is for the antenna (red).

But, there's some hope if you know an electrical engineer - the external CD changer (blue) has control signals that could be translated, and the audio is simple analog stereo, so you could go that way. No idea if they're using the same signals, but the PA11-NIS was made to interface as an external cd changer, so it might be as simple as splicing in a PA11-NIS to the cd changer's wires in the trunk.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 01-12-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: research was done. even more.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:51 PM
I could live with that trade - iPod for CD changer. I'll have to poke around and see if someone may already have done this successfully. Or maybe there's even a way to do it with existing USA Spec adapter that's just not advertised?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I could live with that trade - iPod for CD changer. I'll have to poke around and see if someone may already have done this successfully. Or maybe there's even a way to do it with existing USA Spec adapter that's just not advertised?
I didn't find anything from initial searches, but I seem to be the one guy willing to compare service manuals for this kind of thing.

If it's that simple, the PA11 would probably just need to be powered and the communication wires and analog signal wires mapped, which wouldn't be difficult. There's more wires on the PA11 since it passes through other communication wires, but it still *might* work.

The big problem is whether the older model cd changers used the same communications.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 01-12-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

So, I compared the two. The plugs look like they're mirrored, but it's a little unclear if the 07 is showing the male harness, or the female end on the CD-changer, so it may actually just be plug-n-play. Here's the wiring diagram and pinout for the plugs, 06 satellite on top, and 07 cd-changer on the bottom. If somebody wants to give it a go, here's all the help you'll need. The colors shown are the vehicle's wire colors NOT the PA11-NIS.

The reference values for the Request and Communication signals are in the same volt range, so.... I'd say it's worth a shot.

More info... looking at the PA11-NIS harnesses, it looks like you can move the pins with some minor disassembly. Just don't lose track of the pins as you go:

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 01-12-2015 at 11:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crc1996 (01-15-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Pa15-infi

Quick Quality of life question in reference to the PA15-INFI vs PA15-NIS

I'm fully aware that they are synonymous in nature, and just hook up in different places. But when you have the INFI, how long is the actual cable to hook up your ipod? Where would you store it, and how accessible is it to remove and load music on?

I have a 2006 Sedan with SAT, if i were to use the NIS i understand it would hook into the back of the radio itself, and use the interface button "SAT" on the radio just the same. Is that correct? This way i could fish the cable into a glove box or other easily accessible area.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:55 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
its fairly long i think 8ft. I hve my module under the pass seat running from the shifter area up to the center console under the clock. I have about 2ft excess under the seat.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
So, I compared the two. The plugs look like they're mirrored, but it's a little unclear if the 07 is showing the male harness, or the female end on the CD-changer, so it may actually just be plug-n-play. Here's the wiring diagram and pinout for the plugs, 06 satellite on top, and 07 cd-changer on the bottom. If somebody wants to give it a go, here's all the help you'll need. The colors shown are the vehicle's wire colors NOT the PA11-NIS.

The reference values for the Request and Communication signals are in the same volt range, so.... I'd say it's worth a shot.

More info... looking at the PA11-NIS harnesses, it looks like you can move the pins with some minor disassembly. Just don't lose track of the pins as you go:

Now THIS is interesting and may be worth spending $150 to order one and try to make it work. Downside is I have to turn around and sell it on eBay, right?

Thanks very much for digging into this - I just didn't have the experience to know what to look for (nor a copy of the 07 G35 manual )

Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Now THIS is interesting and may be worth spending $150 to order one and try to make it work. Downside is I have to turn around and sell it on eBay, right?

Thanks very much for digging into this - I just didn't have the experience to know what to look for (nor a copy of the 07 G35 manual )
Well, *if* it works and you try and sell it, you can list it as the only one in the world

I'm still torn on whether it would work. On one hand if it were this simple, why wouldn't USA SPEC do it themselves? But then you remember that Infiniti themselves didn't produce an Infiniti version of the iPod connector they had available for Maximas and Altimas, which was also just re-arranging the wires.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:47 PM
By any chance do you have access to the schematic/color diagram for the PAS-11 INF? Or is it the same? They are both for sale on Amazon at around $120 right now!

Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

By any chance do you have access to the schematic/color diagram for the PAS-11 INF? Or is it the same? They are both for sale on Amazon at around $120 right now!
The colors aren't mapped out in the manual for the PA11, so you'll have to just check which wires are power (by looking for the two wires on one side of the harness (everything else in the middle or side). By comparing the PA11 harness to the factory harness it will be obvious whether it will plug right in or needs to be mirrored in the 07.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Okay, so I finally got around to trying out this experiment. And the harness plugs do not match. There is no adapter from the PA11 NIS that connects to the cd changer plug. Eerrggg! Does anyone know if the adapters in the INF model are different? I guess the only other option is to disassemble one of the adapters on the INS and match up the wires to the cd changer plug manually. Without the schematic for the PA11, do you think it's safe to assume the wires should simply be paired color for color? That makes the most sense to me.

Last edited by crc1996; 02-07-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Okay, so I finally got around to trying out this experiment. And the harness plugs do not match. There is no adapter from the PA11 NIS that connects to the cd changer plug. Eerrggg! Does anyone know if the adapters in the INF model are different? I guess the only other option is to disassemble one of the adapters on the INS and match up the wires to the cd changer plug manually. Without the schematic for the PA11, do you think it's safe to assume the wires should simply be paired color for color? That makes the most sense to me.
Matching up wires manually is probably going to be the only way to test it. The wires from the car aren't going to match colors with the PA11, you'll have to go by the info posted earlier to determine which wires to connect up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: USA spec PA15-INFI