Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Replacing Bose sub

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Bose sub

Im right now looking at subwoofers to replace the bose sub. Would this JL audio 8in Sub fit in the same place where the bose one is
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=37

if not what would you recommend?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...surements.html

It looks like it'll fit in the stock mounting hole just fine:

(A) Diameter Overall: 8.5 in. / 216 mm
(B) Mounting Hole Diameter: 6.94 in. / 176 mm
(C) Bolt Hole Circle: 7.39 in. / 188 mm
(D) Magnet Diameter: 5.79 in. / 147 mm
(E) Mounting Depth: 6.83 in. / 173 mm

It's taller than the stock unit by about two inches, but I think it'll still fit between the deck and the trunk carpeting trim.

I'm more worried that it won't fit under the Bose grille on the back though, there was about 1" of stuff above the mounting surface with the Bose sub, while the JL looks like it's got that much + whatever the excursion of the JL does when under power (.75 inches). I did not measure the distance above the deck that the factory grill rises, but it looks like it'll be very close.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...surements.html

It looks like it'll fit in the stock mounting hole just fine:

(A) Diameter Overall: 8.5 in. / 216 mm
(B) Mounting Hole Diameter: 6.94 in. / 176 mm
(C) Bolt Hole Circle: 7.39 in. / 188 mm
(D) Magnet Diameter: 5.79 in. / 147 mm
(E) Mounting Depth: 6.83 in. / 173 mm

It's taller than the stock unit by about two inches, but I think it'll still fit between the deck and the trunk carpeting trim.

I'm more worried that it won't fit under the Bose grille on the back though, there was about 1" of stuff above the mounting surface with the Bose sub, while the JL looks like it's got that much + whatever the excursion of the JL does when under power (.75 inches). I did not measure the distance above the deck that the factory grill rises, but it looks like it'll be very close.

Dude you exceeded what i was expecting and did an awesome job at answering the question. im giving you a 10/10 rating on that. Thank you so much for the detail about all of it and the pictures really helped. and thats cool expect for the grill part but ill find a way around that. im just hearing that the bose system isnt that good and my friend has a 2003 g35 with the bose system and it wasnt good but i thought it was just blown out. So i was looking at the best subwoofer i could get that would replace the bose one for the fact i dont want to get a box and that i dont want the sub located in the trunk when i could fit one in the bose subwoofers place. Would you recommend another brand that has any good 8in subs?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I am going with Pioneer 8" TS-SW841D -it is VERY shallow mount and I do not think it has a lot of excursion due to design.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by obender66
I am going with Pioneer 8" TS-SW841D -it is VERY shallow mount and I do not think it has a lot of excursion due to design.
There's enough room for something that isn't a shallow mount. There's no reason to sacrifice sound quality and value for something like that.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 PM
There's enough room for something that isn't a shallow mount. There's no reason to sacrifice sound quality and value for something like that.
I want quality bass. I'm looking for the best i can buy and that wont sound like crap. Bass means alot since i listen to house and dubstep alot

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by AustinRalls
I want quality bass. I'm looking for the best i can buy and that wont sound like crap. Bass means alot since i listen to house and dubstep alot
If that's what you're after, you'd probably be better served by a ported 10", but I understand not wanting to give up any space.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 PM
If that's what you're after, you'd probably be better served by a ported 10", but I understand not wanting to give up any space.
Im not looking for a loud bass but i am looking for a clear and quality sound. and yes i would love a 10. But im just wanting to look for a good quality 8' sub.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:31 PM
There's also no reason to knock product down because it lists for $179 and not $500. Since I got my Pioneer for $80 shipped I really doubt that JL will sound 6 times better.
I also do not want of 17 lbs(freakin extra rim!) of extra weight in my weekend racer...so to each its own?

Old 04-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
+1 I am actually interested in installing an 8" sub in the enclosure. I dont have Bose, so the space is empty in my car. What would be a good recommendation, I dont want to loose trunk space...

Old 04-16-2011, 02:00 PM
There's also no reason to knock product down because it lists for $179 and not $500. Since I got my Pioneer for $80 shipped I really doubt that JL will sound 6 times better.
I also do not want of 17 lbs(freakin extra rim!) of extra weight in my weekend racer...so to each its own?
Yes but adding 17 lb is better then adding a 10 or 12 and a box, and honestly i wont be racing all that much and i dont think a few more pounds will matter in your time. i weigh 160. and i bet other people i race will weigh more. its not a valid reason why not to get the best sub i can get. There have been very good reviews on this sub, and i dont really trust that a 179 sub will last long to the music i listen to and possible how loud i listen to it. Dubstep uses a huge amount of bass and it will sound crappy with cheaper subs.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinRalls
Im not looking for a loud bass but i am looking for a clear and quality sound. and yes i would love a 10. But im just wanting to look for a good quality 8' sub.
who said anything about loud

I wouldn't put ANY sub in the rear deck. It'll rattle like hell and sound like crap.

1 or 2 of these would do http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SWR-843D.html

Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Oh no, here comes the facts:

Pioneer TS-SW841D
Frequency Response: 30Hz to 1,500 Hz

JL 8w7
Frequency Response: 23Hz - 250 Hz

Tell me, how many shallow mount 8" Pioneers do you need to hit a 25Hz bass note? 6? 8? Infinity? They NEVER will. Where's the value in that?

There's no reason to use a shallow mount unless it's absolutely necessary.

As for weekend racer... I can remove my ~50lbs of enclosure and sub in about 2 minutes

Old 04-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Hotdawwgman
+1 I am actually interested in installing an 8" sub in the enclosure. I dont have Bose, so the space is empty in my car. What would be a good recommendation, I dont want to loose trunk space...
Although you have a 7" hole in your rear deck, your rear deck trim doesn't have a grille in it, and it doesn't have the ~2" elevation from the deck either, so you're not going to get much of anything to fit in the first place, let alone something that's going to move.

You don't lose much space with a boxology (formerly known as 4080) enclosure at all, and it comes out in 2min or less if you really need the space behind a wheel to fit something in there.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Oh no, here comes the facts:

Pioneer TS-SW841D
Frequency Response: 30Hz to 1,500 Hz

JL 8w7
Frequency Response: 23Hz - 250 Hz

Tell me, how many shallow mount 8" Pioneers do you need to hit a 25Hz bass note? 6? 8? Infinity? They NEVER will. Where's the value in that?

There's no reason to use a shallow mount unless it's absolutely necessary.

As for weekend racer... I can remove my ~50lbs of enclosure and sub in about 2 minutes
That's all same as "bench racing" -buying products based on printed specs. What about sensitivity? Pioneer has a 3 db advantage due to unique spiderless design. 3db-it's double the amp power. I have only 160 wrms bridged to drive it. I will need 320 wrms amp for JL sub to get same output.(that JL ** disclaimer about sensitivity is lame-laws of physics are laws of physics)
Pioneer's basket is also designed to be mini enclosure, which is a huge benefit in free air installation. I actually hooked it up to home stereo to test it-no baffle at all. It had a nice kick from ancient 30 watt receiver without any crossover ! Nothing you can expect from a sub which is just sitting on the floor.
I do not listen to ghetto "Bass is tha ****e" recordings to care about 25Hz notes. Those 25 hz at what? -6 db?-8db? Did you see the actual curve? Sub is going into factory spot along with few layers of Fat Mat and will sound great. No box!
My first sound off was in 1997 with Pioneer sub and I love their stuff. I was turned off JL products by that bald fvck working for JL who was ****eing on car audio forums about the same time.

I do not deny that JL will sound better, but definitely not $400 better...And I own home audio system pushing well into 5 digits...including 1978 Denon turntable

I reiterate-to each it's own. I just want to present an alternative to other G members.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing Bose sub