Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

JDM kit /w single din radio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM kit /w single din radio?

Does anybody have a picture of a JDM kit with a single din radio? I am interested in swapping out my factory non-bose setup with a new device and am looking at single din as I don't want a DVD device and can not afford a NAVI based unit.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Yeah, check the gallery link in my ddin shopping/ resource list at the top of this forum.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
why dont u want a DVD device? They look very nice! I have a single din flip out dvd player(ill post a pic for u later) but i think double din DVD's look better in the G.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steezy777
why dont u want a DVD device? They look very nice! I have a single din flip out dvd player(ill post a pic for u later) but i think double din DVD's look better in the G.
i have seen lots of pictures. You are correct, they do look nice. However, I can't afford the ones I want (double DIN /w Navigation) but could swing a very nice $250 single din that could do everything that I truly need (ipod control and blue tooth)

The DVD devices that I am looking at all tend to be $400~$600 and the NAVI ones are all around $700.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:10 PM
ahh ic

Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Single din units are far more superior quality wise over double dins, although you give up the option of being able to have a video display. Eclipse decks (lots of older ones), older Alpines, and the Clarion DRZ9255 are some excellent decks....especially with some of them having a copper chassis. Anybody going purely for sound quality would more than likely go with a single din unit....although others would opt for an Alpine double din and use a processor with it.

OP, here's a pretty decent double din if you're interested. It's a factory refurb though, so I'm not sure how you feel about it. It's on eBay as well. Comes with the blackbird portable navi that can be placed inside the unit as well. It's the newer version of the blackbird (well, newer opposed to the first one and the first one had weak signals, this is supposed to be better). Also comes with a bypass module (TR7) to get video while driving.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-IVA-W505-6-5-inch-Car-DVD-Player-FREE-SHIPPING-/320723561337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aac9d2b79#ht_500wt_1156
*edit: thought it was a buy it now auction...worth a shot keeping an eye on it. there's a couple with bidding on them.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by The Stimulation
Single din units are far more superior quality wise over double dins, although you give up the option of being able to have a video display. Eclipse decks (lots of older ones), older Alpines, and the Clarion DRZ9255 are some excellent decks....especially with some of them having a copper chassis. Anybody going purely for sound quality would more than likely go with a single din unit....although others would opt for an Alpine double din and use a processor with it.

OP, here's a pretty decent double din if you're interested. It's a factory refurb though, so I'm not sure how you feel about it. It's on eBay as well. Comes with the blackbird portable navi that can be placed inside the unit as well. It's the newer version of the blackbird (well, newer opposed to the first one and the first one had weak signals, this is supposed to be better). Also comes with a bypass module (TR7) to get video while driving.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-IVA-W505-...#ht_500wt_1156

*edit: thought it was a buy it now auction...worth a shot keeping an eye on it. there's a couple with bidding on them.
Are they? i had no idea... Ill have to do more research on that! My single din has a screen taking up half the internals so i can see how they may have needed to sacrafice some quality to get the screen in there :|

Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-IVA-W505-...#ht_500wt_1156

The minute the car is in motion, and wind and engine noise come into play, or you're playing from a compressed audio source, any sound quality benefits of the ultimate-SQ headunit goes right out the window.

Go for the ease of use and other benefits of a DDin.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Sooooo a DD HU is better? Ugh i wish i knew more about HU quality. Im always so focused on amps n drivers :P i luv it!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The minute the car is in motion, and wind and engine noise come into play, or you're playing from a compressed audio source, any sound quality benefits of the ultimate-SQ headunit goes right out the window.

Go for the ease of use and other benefits of a DDin.
Correct...when I was mentioning these units I didn't elaborate. Guys that I know into SQ drive with windows up and for pure listening purposes, vehicle stopped. But of course you have to drive to get from one point to another. Outside noise is where sound deadening comes into play of course. Plus if you're using FLAC discs, you can retain the quality...well much better than an MP3 cd or iPod at least.

Sooooo a DD HU is better? Ugh i wish i knew more about HU quality. Im always so focused on amps n drivers :P i luv it!
No, single din is generally better. Take what I say with a grain of salt. When I'm talking about quality, I'm talking for those that are into SQ (sound quality). Total high end, crazy processing and tuning, time alignment, etc. For 99% of the crowd out there, it won't make a difference. Any head unit will typically do. I'd suggest sticking to something with a higher pre-out voltage. You'll notice a huge difference from a 2V to a 5V pre-out and you can keep the gains on the amp lower with a higher pre-out on the HU.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is another idea of what you can do with a single din player.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Correct...when I was mentioning these units I didn't elaborate. Guys that I know into SQ drive with windows up and for pure listening purposes, vehicle stopped. But of course you have to drive to get from one point to another. Outside noise is where sound deadening comes into play of course. Plus if you're using FLAC discs, you can retain the quality...well much better than an MP3 cd or iPod at least.
If I'm not moving, I'll just use my home theatre.

I can still tell the difference between my 128k MP3s and the 320k MP3s while driving though, even without a super-SQ single-din unit.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
what are FLAC disks? yeah, i have heard upgrading from 2v preout to 4v preout makes a world of difference :/ on my kenwood i have a "high input" its a speaker line input, im using it for my navi voice cuz the line out converter was to quiet. but would that give me better audio quality as opposed to using my RCA inputs?