Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help with double din, steering wheel controls. what to go with?? Opinions please :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Help with double din, steering wheel controls. what to go with?? Opinions please :)

Hello,

Finally had my ac control board fail on my 2003 coupe with 145k. Figure the car will go another 100k....we will see.

As for the ac its stuck on full blast, which is fine since it was 115 degrees in AZ.

Heres my problem:
I want to fix the problem so what do I need?

I assume a new head unit, metra double din kit, and something to retain my steering wheel controls???

I assume this will fix the ac problem and my broke CD bose system. Had not used CDs in 2 years Been using the tape player adapter to a MP3 player

Any feedback on current double din users for head unit, steering wheel controls, and double din kits would be very helpful...

Do I need to remove the BOSE amps or just run everything like it is? This is my wife's DD commuter and she does not need a high end system so I just want to replace the head unit and ac controls, but still retain the steering wheel controls. What do you guys suggest? We use a mp3 player most of the time anyways. might be nice to have gps, but then again everyone has it on the cellphone anyways.....

thanks guys and gals

Old 08-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
If all you're looking for is basic, my recommendation is the
Pioneer AVH-2300DVD Pioneer AVH-2300DVD

Just get one of them and everything on the "metra trim" installation from My Shopping List and you'll be good to go for under $450.The
Metra Axxess ASWC Metra Axxess ASWC
makes for an easy way to keep the steering wheel controls.

I've got a fairly extensive comparison between the metra and JDM kits, with plenty of photos comparing the two in the FAQ section of my shopping list, along with photos in my gallery.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:38 PM
thanks!

I actually read your post today. I have some time...It was 115 degrees yesterday and the car was parked at my wifes work, no covered parking....

Anyways on her way home it is operating fine again, the ac controls? I am sure it is on the way out, but now I have time to research and shop around. Seems like everyone is Pioneer pro here? Looks like I cant go wrong with a Pioneer, just a replacement of the Bose. Our Bose lasted 9 years without issues so I guess its time to upgrade it

Old 08-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Realtor
I actually read your post today. I have some time...It was 115 degrees yesterday and the car was parked at my wifes work, no covered parking....

Anyways on her way home it is operating fine again, the ac controls? I am sure it is on the way out, but now I have time to research and shop around. Seems like everyone is Pioneer pro here? Looks like I cant go wrong with a Pioneer, just a replacement of the Bose. Our Bose lasted 9 years without issues so I guess its time to upgrade it
Pioneer's good, but if you're looking to step into a navigation unit, I'd go JVC or Kenwood. JVC has the google maps map database, while Kenwood has Garmin's. Both are much more up to date than the Navteq source that Pioneer uses. However, I'd still recommend mounting a good garmin in the top cubby, as it puts the navigation screen at a much better angle for the driver, and many garmins are available with lifetime maps and free lifetime traffic data.

JVC's interface is kinda ugly, but is fantastically fast, while Kenwood's ok and a bit slow. Pioneer's interface is the best I've used, but not as fast as JVC.

Once you're on the road moving the sound quality difference between major brands is less than the road/wind noise, so unless you're doing a lot of sound quality listening while parked you probably won't hear any difference.

If you DO do a lot of parked sound-quality-oriented listening, Kenwoods usually can be tuned more.

I haven't looked much into Alpine and Clarion's latest offerings, but if there's one in the price range you're shooting for with the features you want, they're ok too.

I just usually find that Pioneer offers the best performance/price, especially for the basic DDin units, like the 2300.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I thought it was 3200 not 2300???

Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

3200 is their previous generation unit available with built-in bluetooth.
2300 is a current-gen entry-level double din unit.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the 4300?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

the 4300's a great unit too, but without built-in bluetooth, I'd almost prefer the 3300, since the 4300 + the bluetooth adapter nears the price of the X930BT, which includes bluetooth and navigation.

What with all the states coming up with hands-free laws, all military posts requiring hands-free phone use only and the sheer convenience, bluetooth is a fairly high priority for me.
In the same price range, I'd recommend the
Kenwood DDX418 Kenwood DDX418

7" screens really aren't noticeably bigger in daily use than a 6.1", and the physical volume **** is handy at times.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 PM
ok Pioneer 2300

Ok I think you are right the Pioneer will be a perfect replacement. The 2300DVD. I found a local installer that sells the unit and install for $280 plus metra kit. What steering wheel controls do you recommend to go with this unit? I plan on buying the metra kit and steering wheel controls so he can put it all in for me.

thanks for all the help so far guys

Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think most get the PAC SWI for steering wheel control.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Realtor
Ok I think you are right the Pioneer will be a perfect replacement. The 2300DVD. I found a local installer that sells the unit and install for $280 plus metra kit. What steering wheel controls do you recommend to go with this unit? I plan on buying the metra kit and steering wheel controls so he can put it all in for me.

thanks for all the help so far guys
The ASWC is an easier install since you don't have to solder in resistors, but If they're doing the install, the steering wheel adapter won't matter, as it's a trivial installation for anyone with experience.

Just make sure they don't overcharge - the PAC SWI-PS and Metra Axxess ASWC both work fine and average for $40 online.

The following users liked this post:
Realtor (09-02-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question re: Pioneer AVH-2300DVD

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
If all you're looking for is basic, my recommendation is the Pioneer AVH-2300DVD.
Hello, this is my first real post on these forums!! (I'm sorry that it is so long. ) I just found the site about a month ago...sure wish I had found it sooner!!! I bought my stock 2004 G35 coupe AT (Premium, Aero, Bose) in Jan 2011 and have had so, SO many questions...and I recently discovered that the vast majority of them were already addressed/answered here on G35Driver! So thanks to everyone here for being so helpful!

On that note, I recently completed my first major mod to my car--installing the above-mentioned Pioneer AVH-2300 DVD--all by myself!!! In case it wasn't already obvious, LOL, yes, I'm a female, and I had never installed a car radio before, but I even managed to solder the resistors by myself and thus got the steering wheel interface working correctly (HUGE YAY), largely thanks to Wrathernaut's sticky and the video from Bythebay, so again, thank you. As trivial as an audio install may seem to those of you who are already more experienced with mods, I was pretty darned proud of ripping my dash apart, getting a double-din installed, and then successfully putting the dash back together. (BTW, I've now also got new rims/tires and a plenum spacer installed....and Tanabe coilovers, an AIT bumper, and projector headlights are going on later this week!!! )

Anyway, I am posting now because I have some questions related to a relatively low-volume issue that I've discovered after getting my new HU installed...BUT I think it is not the same issue that is frequently referenced here in the forums (that I found on searching) due to the choice of wiring harness (or, at least, I don't think it is--I ordered the HU from Crutchfield and received a custom wiring harness, which I don't believe is the same as either the PAC or Metra mentioned in Wrathernaut's sticky, but maybe I am wrong about that).

In any case, on my new setup (which does use the factory Bose amp and speakers for now--I don't have an aftermarket sub or amps yet), the volume actually sounds decent to me at 30-35 (the max is 40) on this HU, as I can hear music well at this level even with the windows rolled down and the sunroof open....but even so, I have to admit that it's not REALLY loud, even at 40. The overall max volume was definitely much, much louder with the old Bose (I could crank it to the point that my eardrums hurt...not that I did this often, but at least I *could*). Personally, however, I am going for sound quality over volume, and although the sound quality on my new setup admittedly still leaves much to be desired since the stock Bose speakers are still in place, at least it sounds much cleaner and crisper with the Pioneer HU than with the Bose HU. So, the volume issue is not a huge deal to me in the grand scheme of things, but it does bother me a little. Regardless, I am hoping to achieve (eventually) really good sound quality in my car, as I drive about 150 miles per day, which means that I spend quite a bit of time listening to music in my G, so I want to do things right, and am willing to invest where needed. I had thought that getting the entry-level 2300DVD would at least cover my HU bases (i.e., I had felt that any Pioneer HU, even at the entry-level = great quality), and since I didn't need Bluetooth, Pandora, or navigation capabilities, I figured that what I saved on getting a simpler HU could be kept for other performance mods, and/or better speakers/amps and a sub if I thought the sound quality was still lacking after the HU swap.......but after completing my install and realizing that indeed, not only is the sound quality still lacking (as I had expected), but the volume levels are also borderline too low (unexpected), I started trying to troubleshoot my issues and research the specs on this HU....

...which finally brings me to my actual set of questions: I am currently wondering if the low-volume issue in my setup could be due to the fact that this particular HU only outputs 2 volts per channel, versus 4 volts per channel (like its more expensive sibling that is next in the line-up--the 3300bt, I think it is)? I tried searching the forums for anything on this idea, but the search tool unfortunately omits "2" "two" and "per" when I try to type in terms, so I haven't been able to find anything on this to date.

--Essentially, do you guys think that if I had gotten a HU with 4 volts per channel, the volume problem I have described would be minimized or even non-existent, even with the stock Bose amp?

--If the answer to the above question is yes, do you think I will be able to circumvent the current volume problem by sooner, rather than later, replacing the Bose amp with a better aftermarket amp, replacing the 2-ohm Bose speakers with nicer component speakers and tweeters for the front, and eventually, putting a nice sub in the trunk with a second dedicated amp?

--If the answer to the above question is yes, will it even be possible to wire all the components I have just described into my system, when the 2300DVD only has 4 channels and no dedicated subwoofer preamp outs? I was also hoping to be able to keep the rear side speakers and rear deck speakers for rear fill (I tried listening to my system with and without the rears and even in the driver's seat, I could tell a difference--the sound was much more full with the rears active), but I just don't understand how all this can be connected with only 4 available channels. Without dedicated subwoofer preamp outs, I also won't have much control over the subwoofer, will I?

In conclusion, if I am right about the 2V issue (which I might not be!!), it seems like I am damned if I do, damned if I don't if I keep the 2300DVD....i.e., if the volume problem is due to the 2V per channel, but circumventable with the addition of more power via a new speaker amp, new front speakers, new tweeters, new sub amp, and new sub, it seems like it is still going to be impossible (or at least extremely difficult) to connect all this with the available inputs/outputs on the HU....so it seems like I will have to replace the HU either way for a more fully-featured one! I guess I hope I am wrong, and that maybe the wiring harness really is the volume culprit...but even so, as I've said, I feel that the overall sound quality is still lacking with just the HU swap, so I would still want to install all the other components I mentioned, so any advice on how this could be done while keeping the current HU would be much appreciated...trust me, I would have already ripped the HU out and tried putting another one in just to see, but it took me SUCH an embarrassingly long time to get the HU in, I would rather not take it back out if there is any way this setup could be salvaged to attain the level of sound quality I desire...but if it is hopeless, it is hopeless, and I will bite the bullet and take it out. :P Thanks so much in advance for any input at all that anyone may have on these issues/questions!!!

Last edited by Cataclysmic; 10-12-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Cataclysmic
Hello, this is my first real post on these forums!! (I'm sorry that it is so long. ) I just found the site about a month ago...sure wish I had found it sooner!!! I bought my stock 2004 G35 coupe AT (Premium, Aero, Bose) in Jan 2011 and have had so, SO many questions...and I recently discovered that the vast majority of them were already addressed/answered here on G35Driver! So thanks to everyone here for being so helpful!

On that note, I recently completed my first major mod to my car--installing the above-mentioned Pioneer AVH-2300 DVD--all by myself!!! In case it wasn't already obvious, LOL, yes, I'm a female, and I had never installed a car radio before, but I even managed to solder the resistors by myself and thus got the steering wheel interface working correctly (HUGE YAY), largely thanks to Wrathernaut's sticky and the video from Bythebay, so again, thank you. As trivial as an audio install may seem to those of you who are already more experienced with mods, I was pretty darned proud of ripping my dash apart, getting a double-din installed, and then successfully putting the dash back together. (BTW, I've now also got new rims/tires and a plenum spacer installed....and Tanabe coilovers, an AIT bumper, and projector headlights are going on later this week!!! )

Anyway, I am posting now because I have some questions related to a relatively low-volume issue that I've discovered after getting my new HU installed...BUT I think it is not the same issue that is frequently referenced here in the forums (that I found on searching) due to the choice of wiring harness (or, at least, I don't think it is--I ordered the HU from Crutchfield and received a custom wiring harness, which I don't believe is the same as either the PAC or Metra mentioned in Wrathernaut's sticky, but maybe I am wrong about that).

In any case, on my new setup (which does use the factory Bose amp and speakers for now--I don't have an aftermarket sub or amps yet), the volume actually sounds decent to me at 30-35 (the max is 40) on this HU, as I can hear music well at this level even with the windows rolled down and the sunroof open....but even so, I have to admit that it's not REALLY loud, even at 40. The overall max volume was definitely much, much louder with the old Bose (I could crank it to the point that my eardrums hurt...not that I did this often, but at least I *could*). Personally, however, I am going for sound quality over volume, and although the sound quality on my new setup admittedly still leaves much to be desired since the stock Bose speakers are still in place, at least it sounds much cleaner and crisper with the Pioneer HU than with the Bose HU. So, the volume issue is not a huge deal to me in the grand scheme of things, but it does bother me a little. Regardless, I am hoping to achieve (eventually) really good sound quality in my car, as I drive about 150 miles per day, which means that I spend quite a bit of time listening to music in my G, so I want to do things right, and am willing to invest where needed. I had thought that getting the entry-level 2300DVD would at least cover my HU bases (i.e., I had felt that any Pioneer HU, even at the entry-level = great quality), and since I didn't need Bluetooth, Pandora, or navigation capabilities, I figured that what I saved on getting a simpler HU could be kept for other performance mods, and/or better speakers/amps and a sub if I thought the sound quality was still lacking after the HU swap.......but after completing my install and realizing that indeed, not only is the sound quality still lacking (as I had expected), but the volume levels are also borderline too low (unexpected), I started trying to troubleshoot my issues and research the specs on this HU....

...which finally brings me to my actual set of questions: I am currently wondering if the low-volume issue in my setup could be due to the fact that this particular HU only outputs 2 volts per channel, versus 4 volts per channel (like its more expensive sibling that is next in the line-up--the 3300bt, I think it is)? I tried searching the forums for anything on this idea, but the search tool unfortunately omits "2" "two" and "per" when I try to type in terms, so I haven't been able to find anything on this to date.

--Essentially, do you guys think that if I had gotten a HU with 4 volts per channel, the volume problem I have described would be minimized or even non-existent, even with the stock Bose amp?

--If the answer to the above question is yes, do you think I will be able to circumvent the current volume problem by sooner, rather than later, replacing the Bose amp with a better aftermarket amp, replacing the 2-ohm Bose speakers with nicer component speakers and tweeters for the front, and eventually, putting a nice sub in the trunk with a second dedicated amp?

--If the answer to the above question is yes, will it even be possible to wire all the components I have just described into my system, when the 2300DVD only has 4 channels and no dedicated subwoofer preamp outs? I was also hoping to be able to keep the rear side speakers and rear deck speakers for rear fill (I tried listening to my system with and without the rears and even in the driver's seat, I could tell a difference--the sound was much more full with the rears active), but I just don't understand how all this can be connected with only 4 available channels. Without dedicated subwoofer preamp outs, I also won't have much control over the subwoofer, will I?

In conclusion, if I am right about the 2V issue (which I might not be!!), it seems like I am damned if I do, damned if I don't if I keep the 2300DVD....i.e., if the volume problem is due to the 2V per channel, but circumventable with the addition of more power via a new speaker amp, new front speakers, new tweeters, new sub amp, and new sub, it seems like it is still going to be impossible (or at least extremely difficult) to connect all this with the available inputs/outputs on the HU....so it seems like I will have to replace the HU either way for a more fully-featured one! I guess I hope I am wrong, and that maybe the wiring harness really is the volume culprit...but even so, as I've said, I feel that the overall sound quality is still lacking with just the HU swap, so I would still want to install all the other components I mentioned, so any advice on how this could be done while keeping the current HU would be much appreciated...trust me, I would have already ripped the HU out and tried putting another one in just to see, but it took me SUCH an embarrassingly long time to get the HU in, I would rather not take it back out if there is any way this setup could be salvaged to attain the level of sound quality I desire...but if it is hopeless, it is hopeless, and I will bite the bullet and take it out. :P Thanks so much in advance for any input at all that anyone may have on these issues/questions!!!
I don't see anywhere that you mention if you used the PAC ROEM-NIS2 adapter, or a regular harness. If it's not a ROEM-NIS2, that would definitely account for the low volume. The Bose headunit ouputs are below 2v, so I doubt that's your problem.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I don't see anywhere that you mention if you used the PAC ROEM-NIS2 adapter, or a regular harness. If it's not a ROEM-NIS2, that would definitely account for the low volume. The Bose headunit ouputs are below 2v, so I doubt that's your problem.
Originally Posted by Cataclysmic;
I have some questions related to a relatively low-volume issue that I've discovered after getting my new HU installed...BUT I think it is not the same issue that is frequently referenced here in the forums (that I found on searching) due to the choice of wiring harness (or, at least, I don't think it is--I ordered the HU from Crutchfield and received a custom wiring harness, which I don't believe is the same as either the PAC or Metra mentioned in Wrathernaut's sticky, but maybe I am wrong about that).
Hi, thanks so much for your prompt reply! As I said above, I ordered the HU from Crutchfield, and a wiring harness (that I didn't choose) was included with my purchase. I had thought it was a custom-made harness from Crutchfield (and thus I had thought it was *neither* the PAC ROEM-NIS2 nor the Metra 70-5551), but after you posted, I checked and saw on the instruction sheet that it says "120 70-5551," so I am assuming it IS the Metra harness, but that Crutchfield did not label it specifically as such.

Anyway, like I also said above, the volume is really NOT THAT QUIET. I believe you said in your shopping list sticky that while you and a few others have had decent results with the 70-5551, for most cars (especially the 03-04, and I do have an 04) it causes the system to become "get out your hearing aid quiet." Again, like I said, however, it seems that my setup is one of the ones that is "decent," as it sounds clean and fairly loud even with both windows rolled down and the sunroof open at listening level 30-35. With the windows rolled UP, it is quite loud around 28-30. The volume level is really acceptable, just not ideal. Again, however, the volume issue is not really my main concern: the sound quality is. To clarify, since I am on a budget, I wanted to change my sound system systematically: my original plan had been to purchase the HU, install it, and see how the stock amp and speakers fared and if I could live with the resulting sound quality. Apparently, I can't. The main problem is that I actually unfortunately didn't realize when I ordered the 2300DVD that it only had 4 channels and 2 volts per channel and no subwoofer preamp outs; I had mistakenly assumed that the only differences between it and the others in the lineup were the removal of Bluetooth and Pandora capabilities, which I don't need since I already have a standalone Bluetooth headset and a Blackberry (which apparently doesn't work with the Pandora on Pioneer HUs, or so I've been told, but I think I've figured out a workaround anyway by just streaming Pandora directly from my device and inputting it into the deck via the AUX jack). Anyway, I only found out about the lesser specs when I went to troubleshoot the volume issue (that, again, doesn't really bother me that much).

In any case, since I have decided that the new HU plus the old Bose amp and speakers are still not delivering what I want, I am going to have to make some changes (new speakers, add a sub, amp for speakers and amp for sub), regardless. So, I am willing to go in and change the wiring harness to the PAC ROEM-NIS2 you suggested to address the lower-priority volume issue, but again, since I plan to add two more amps and new speakers, that would render the PAC ROEM-NIS2 unnecessary, right? Besides, if I go in just to do that, I could easily change the HU, instead.

So, I guess I am altering my original questions a bit: if you don't think the volume issue is caused by 2 vs 4 volts per channel, just for my own knowledge's sake (please forgive the noob questions), would you mind please commenting on what exactly is the advantage, if any, of having 4 volts per channel on the HU, especially if one is going to add an aftermarket amp anyway? Then, given the setup I have stated that I think I want (new front component speakers, tweeters, and an amp to drive them; plus a sub in the trunk and a dedicated amp for the sub, AND I want to keep the stock Bose rear side speakers and rear deck speakers), can you please comment if you think changing my Pioneer 2300DVD for one with 4 volts per channel and 6 available channels plus subwoofer preamp outs would be recommended for all this? I just don't understand how I could possibly wire all the new stuff with only 4 available channels on a HU like the 2300DVD. It actually seems like I will need 8 channels on the HU?? Is that right? How could I make 6 work (or will I definitely have to drop one set of the rear fill speakers)? OR do you think I could still somehow be able to make the 2300DVD work for what I want to do? It sure would be great if I could take the money that would have gone to buy a better HU and invest that in better speakers, amps, sub. Thanks again for any additional input you may have!

Last edited by Cataclysmic; 10-14-2011 at 11:56 PM.