Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Can't decide-JVC KWNT 30HD of Pioneer AVIC X930BT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Can't decide-JVC KWNT 30HD of Pioneer AVIC X930BT

Well after 2 years of holding out it's time to upgrade. My 05 stock Bose unit is starting to have issues reading CDs and I want it out of the car.

I have to say researching DDs can be exhausting. Many thanks go out in advance to Wrathernut who has made the process infinitely simpler with his threads and helpful posts. So here's my dilemma, I'm looking for the following things in a new radio.
1. Bluetooth phone
2. Bluetooth streaming especially for Pandora from my droid
3. Nav
4. HD radio (the Pioneer requires an extra adapter)
5. Compatibility with the stock speakers
6. Volume control **** (silly I know but important)
7. Detachable face plate
8. User friendly interface
9. The ability to make Mt. Fuji the background (kidding here but it does look cool. I know the Pioneer has that capability, not sure about the JVC)

So it seems that both of these units fit the bill and they are in the same price range with the Pioneer a little more needing the HD radio add-on. I do have XM and am not willing to lose that but both units come with available XM kits.

So on to my questions.
1. Is there any significant difference between these 2 units, especially quality of sound?
2. If you would recommend one over the other what's your reasoning?
3. Is there another unit you would recommend over the other 2 I mentioned?

I think I've figured out all of the peripheral BS I'll need thanks to the Shopping List Sticky and I have a friend I trust that will be doing the install. Any and all comments are welcome and TIA in advance for your opinions.

Researching all of this has made me feel like a n00b again.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 PM

Thread title fail, I meant 'or'

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
You should look into the Z130BT

I just bought it for my car
It has built in:

Real time traffic information (Free)
Built in bluetooth
Built in HD tuner

The only thing it doesn't have is a removable face ( the x930BT i believe is just a small part that comes off) and a volume ****

Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 PM

That one's really nice but a little out of my price range.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Yeah, if you want a detachable face to deter theft, the JVC is the way to go. The JVC has better navigation too.

The Pioneer has just a little section that comes off, while the entire face of the JVC comes off.

Once the vehicle is on the road, the road and wind noise will negate any sound quality difference between the decks.

Interface is better on the Pioneer in term of user-friendliness and prettiness, but the JVC wins for speed.

Just based on owning the Z120 for some time now (upgraded from Z110), which is essentially the same as the X930BT and playing with the JVC unit for a bit, I'd go with the JVC for the far better map data (google maps vs. navteq).

The Z130 would be great for the traffic tuner & stuff and the fact that it accept voice commands for navigation, but it doesn't fit your budget, and doesn't have a volume dial or detachable face either.

So yeah, my vote is JVC - I've actually considered selling my Z120BT (or my wife's X910BT and giving her mine) for that deck.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-12-2011 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the insight. I've decided to go with the JVC after hours of exhaustive research. BUT, here's the million dollar question. Will the sound of the system dramatically improve over the Bose if I leave the stock speakers in? All of the bells and whistles the deck offers are cool, but I am leery to drop close to $1000 if there's not going to be an improvement in sound.

Also if I pull the trigger here's my list of other needed parts, did I mention everything I'll need? This will go in an 05 sedan with Bose.

1. Metra Axxess ASWC
2. Metra 40-NI10
3. PAC ROEM-NIS2
4. JDM Dual-Zone AC Controller 27500-AC505 (I thought there wasn't a faceplate that ran the dual A/C controls?)
5. Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring (do I need this? I could only find it in black)

And I need to add an XM kit and will more than likely add a back up cam. On the XM kit can I re-use the sat. antennae already on my car or will I have to use one that comes with the kit?

Thanks again everyone for your help, I love my Driver family!!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Thanks for the insight. I've decided to go with the JVC after hours of exhaustive research. BUT, here's the million dollar question. Will the sound of the system dramatically improve over the Bose if I leave the stock speakers in? All of the bells and whistles the deck offers are cool, but I am leery to drop close to $1000 if there's not going to be an improvement in sound.

Also if I pull the trigger here's my list of other needed parts, did I mention everything I'll need? This will go in an 05 sedan with Bose.

1. Metra Axxess ASWC
2. Metra 40-NI10
3. PAC ROEM-NIS2
4. JDM Dual-Zone AC Controller 27500-AC505 (I thought there wasn't a faceplate that ran the dual A/C controls?)
5. Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring (do I need this? I could only find it in black)

And I need to add an XM kit and will more than likely add a back up cam. On the XM kit can I re-use the sat. antennae already on my car or will I have to use one that comes with the kit?

Thanks again everyone for your help, I love my Driver family!!
No, you will not get a huge improvement in sound quality, because you're leaving the worst component of the Bose system in there - the amp. It will be better, but the Bose amp has horrendous EQ'ing built-in that the PAC ROEM-NIS2 can only do so much to compensate for.

Dropping $300 or so on a 5 or 6 channel amp to replace the Bose, in combination with the new headunit will give some good improvements, but without some good components to replace the Bose speakers, you can only do so much.

As for the XM thing, I really wish somebody would report back after trying to just splice the factory antenna to the aftermarket receiver's antenna plug. I don't see why it wouldn't work from looking at the wiring diagrams, but I've never had a chance to try it, and again, nobody's reported trying it.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 PM

That's what I expected to hear, but at this point that won't keep me from going this route. I've read through a few threads that mentioned getting better sound with the DD by replacing the speakers with better quality components, but it sounds like I'll need to replace the amp down the road for any significant difference. But that's easy enough to do, could I make the Bose sub work with a new amp or will it become a fancy paperweight?

And I'm not brave enough to try the sat antenna splice so I'm no help there, sorry.

Will the stock XM antenna lead not fit the new HU?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

That's what I expected to hear, but at this point that won't keep me from going this route. I've read through a few threads that mentioned getting better sound with the DD by replacing the speakers with better quality components, but it sounds like I'll need to replace the amp down the road for any significant difference. But that's easy enough to do, could I make the Bose sub work with a new amp or will it become a fancy paperweight?

And I'm not brave enough to try the sat antenna splice so I'm no help there, sorry.

Will the stock XM antenna lead not fit the new HU?
The bose sub is a paperweight. It'll continue to produce audible things with a new amplifier though.

The stock lead won't work.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 PM

Cool, that gives me a god starting point. I spoke to a rep at Crutchfield and it seems the 30HD is the updated version of the 3HDT, but while it adds updated maps, it loses the traffic function. He said all other features are identical, so I think I'm going to look for the 3HDT. It seems to be about $100 cheaper on average searching numerous sites on the web, and JVC offers map upgrades from time to time.

Appreciate all your guidance.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

No problem, and good luck.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i went wit hthe JVC HU and very pleased. very fast from start up and switching applications, to my ipod, back to nav, then to HD radio, etc. the bluetooth is very handy and streaming is actually quite good.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 PM

Did you get the 3HDT or the newer 30HD? I'm really happy with my choice on the JVC it's everything else that has me

At this point I'm suffering from information overload, there are so many choices for each component I want. I need to quit over thinking things, settle on my choices and be done with it.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by G35sedan03
i went wit hthe JVC HU and very pleased. very fast from start up and switching applications, to my ipod, back to nav, then to HD radio, etc. the bluetooth is very handy and streaming is actually quite good.
Yep, this is what I've been saying - JVC isn't the prettiest of the interfaces out there, but it's fast.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you get the 3HDT or the newer 30HD? I'm really happy with my choice on the JVC it's everything else that has me

At this point I'm suffering from information overload, there are so many choices for each component I want. I need to quit over thinking things, settle on my choices and be done with it.
i got the 3HDT, got a good bundle price from crutchfield with the metra kit and other stuff. i like the fact that most of the stuff is built in, i added the rear view camera as well and it's good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't decide-JVC KWNT 30HD of Pioneer AVIC X930BT