Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

100w+ coax reccomendations...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100w+ coax reccomendations...

i recently purchased an xtant x604 amp and focal 165k2's componets for the front. can anyone reccomend a good coaxial speaker for the rear that can handle 100w continously. i considered the focal coax but i dont think it can handle that much. any input?

Old 12-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Just get the Focal Coax, don't worry about the wattage. People get too damn caught up with wattage on speakers.

Old 12-27-2004, 04:19 PM
because you have to match the speaker with the amp... thats why you gotta worry about the wattage. if you under power a speaker you dont get enough out of it, if you over power you can mess it up. i dont know about the focals, but from my experience do match the power on the amp and the speaker for best results

Old 12-28-2004, 08:06 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Power matching the speaker to the amp is nowhere near as important as properly tuning the system. With crossovers and gains set properly (so that no distortion or clipping is present) any good, reputable, speaker should be able to handle twice the RMS wattage. In most cases it is NOT power that blows speakers, its distortion. It is possible to have non-audible distortion, so that is why it is important to set the gains properly. Most people view gains as a 'volume' control when in acutality they are menat to match the output of the source unit to the input circuitry of the amp.

The only way to properly set a gain is using a test CD and an o'scope. However, any experianced installer should be able to set them by ear, and get them close enough that there should be no issues.

Crossovers are important because most rear speakers shouldn't play below 150-250hz in a properly designed system. To create low bass tones you have to move air, and rear speakers just weren't designed to do that. Cross your rears over around 200hz and use your sub for the bass notes.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:02 AM
Symalik you remind me of customers at my old job. I'm glad I got out of the retail business.

Kpierson knows what I was talking about. But he did a great job of explaining what i was too lazy to do.