Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

CD Player bit the dust...single din questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CD Player bit the dust...single din questions

The other day I got the infamous "CD ERR F0" code and was told to post here for help. It was skipping all the time anyways so I'm just going to replace that POS.

I would get a dual din screen but I don't exactly park in the best area all the time. My car will be unattended for many hours at my college were cars have been known to be broken into. So I have a Pioneer DEH-P400UB single din head unit from my old car, which would be a much better choice since I can remove the face plate. Plus it's like new and I already have it!

My first question is, what is the best solution for the single din kit? I looked around but everyone says something different. And next, I had this radio installed in a Honda, will it plug right into the g35 or is the connector different? I heard something about bose or something being weird (not to mention steering controls). Will this head unit work ok in this car? Sorry for all the questions, wiring/electronics is my weakness.

Looked at the metra kit but the fake rubbery buttons look stupid IMO. Will I need a double din kit like this:
https://g35driver.com/forums/interio...ontroller.html
(he labeled it oem but isn't it jdm..??)

BTW, car is a 03 coupe 6mt w/ Bose. TIA!

Old 12-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
You can always get creative with the factory trim to make a false face to put over the DDin:

From the outside:

Without the window obstructing the view:

And with the false face remove:

But if you want to go single-din, the best option is the (OEM) JDM DDin kit like you linked to and a single-din pocket. Not sure which is the best option for a pocket, but a local car audio shop should be able to hook you up with one.

As for the wiring, so long as you have the headunit's harness, all you'll need is the PAC ROEM-NIS2 to keep the bose amplifier working as usual.

Steering wheel controls can be kept by picking up a metra axxess aswc.

Also, noticed you're in north carolina... if you feel like a little drive down to Savannah, GA, I'll give you a hand. I work for free (ok, you might need to take care of lunch) but I'm only available for the next two weeks, then I'll be gone for a while.

The following users liked this post:
WataG (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Wow, appreciate the detailed response man.

Still think I'm going single din, not that creative...lol! Cool idea though. I'll look around for these parts and probably get the amp/steering control wiring from Amazon.

Thanks for offering to install it too, awesome. I'd take you up on that but I myself will be out of town twice within the next two weeks. When you say you will be gone a while, how long do you think it'll be? Just curious, might take you up on that later if possible.

I'll see if my buddy can install it, if not I'll probably get back with you on the install. I'm sure installing all that stuff won't be that cheap from an audio shop. ><"

Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WataG

Still think I'm going single din, not that creative...lol! Cool idea though. I'll look around for these parts and probably get the amp/steering control wiring from Amazon.

Thanks for offering to install it too, awesome. I'd take you up on that but I myself will be out of town twice within the next two weeks. When you say you will be gone a while, how long do you think it'll be? Just curious, might take you up on that later if possible.

I'll see if my buddy can install it, if not I'll probably get back with you on the install. I'm sure installing all that stuff won't be that cheap from an audio shop. ><"
Feel like making a trip toward Atlanta? I'm also willing to give ya a hand, did mine last night...well half of it lol HU gets here today...I'm pretty available too if ya can't get ahold of Wathernaut! ROAD TRIPPPPPPP!

WataG (12-22-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

A while is until about October 2012, but I am literally free all day, everyday until after new year's, so if you can get the car here anytime between now and then, we can knock it out.

WataG (12-22-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Cool, thanks fellas! Funny, I bought my G in Cumming, GA and my sis just got a Scion in Atlanta. Maybe it's a sign...

Let me talk to my mechanic friend and figure out the days of my trips. Then I'll pm one of you guys depending on if my buddy can do it and what time I'll be able to make the trip.

Happy holidays!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 AM
One more question before I buy. Will this JDM dash kit work? I believe I don't need to order the climate controls since I already have them? This kit says it's for a non-nav model which my car is. If anyone knows if my existing oem climate controls will fit in this double din dash kit let me know! Plus it's black which I think would look cool lol. The dash kits with the climate control are $200 more!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-DOUBLE-D...#ht_1559wt_932

Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

WataG (12-22-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Lol....ah, gotcha. Should've searched for that one. Guess I'm off to collect the parts!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Pretty much decided on the black metra kit. I asked my mechanic friend and he said he can install it no problem more than likely. Told him I was going to buy the JDM black kit b/c the buttons looked way better and he looked at my like I was crazy when I said it was $350 instead of $150...., so after thinking about it I guess it does make better sense to get the metra.

But I wanted to be sure I'm getting everything I'll need. I saw in your sticky that you said an antenna adapter is needed. Here are the 4 parts I'm gonna buy. Metra kit comes with a pocket so I should literally have everything I need for a single din install w/ steering wheel controls and bose amp hooked up.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

I'm guessing anyone with basic head unit installing knowledge will be able to do this lol? Thanks again Wrath!!

Last edited by WataG; 12-22-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Pretty much decided on the black metra kit. I asked my mechanic friend and he said he can install it no problem more than likely. Told him I was going to buy the JDM black kit b/c the buttons looked way better and he looked at my like I was crazy when I said it was $350 instead of $150...., so after thinking about it I guess it does make better sense to get the metra.

But I wanted to be sure I'm getting everything I'll need. I saw in your sticky that you said an antenna adapter is needed. Here are the 4 parts I'm gonna buy. Metra kit comes with a pocket so I should literally have everything I need for a single din install w/ steering wheel controls and bose amp hooked up.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Infiniti...ar=1&carId=001

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000CE9OY2

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-ASWC-Uni...4604542&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0002BESI2

I'm guessing anyone with basic head unit installing knowledge will be able to do this lol? Thanks again Wrath!!
Yeah, should be fine with those parts.

As for going metra... keeping the car looking like it should is definitely worth the $150-200 extra IMO. Think of it this way: If somebody offered you $200 to replace your hood with a a perfectly functional replica that looked *almost* right, but was the wrong material, would you do it? If not, why would you voluntarily do the same thing to your interior? Especially it's one of the interior pieces you see and touch the most, secondly only to the steering wheel?

Old 12-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Hmm, great as soon as I thought I had it figured out...lol! What made me think was my friend saying literally nobody will notice except for me. Might was well spend the money saved on a much needed drop! We'll see, I'll figure out which one I want to go with soon and get this done.