Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a little help with building my system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a little help with building my system

im beggining to build my system in a g35 sedan and have a question when starting to build a system should i buy the subs first or should i buy the components for the front? first? and also im thinking of going with the SA-12 as i heard there solid subs and they can get very loud? but dont know how much power to feed to them and what amp to use..

also with running these subs what comps can i run up front that sound great and can get very loud at times...i dont like sharp tweeters much i prefer more smooth natural sound

are those the best subs i can get for the price range?

Well my budget for everything is probably 1600 dollars that's includes install and subs and component speakers for the front and the wiring and upgraded power I might need .. I already have the pioneer 4300 headunit ..

I listen to mostly hip hop and Rnb..reggae and dubstep
As far as trunk space goes I would like to keep a little bit of space and no I can't install my own equipment .. So a little help in the right direction would be nice

Last edited by kidgotheat; 02-07-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: a little more info
Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
with an sa 12 your gonna want at least 1.5 - 1.75 cubes, im in the middle of my build and im using 2 sa 12s in a 3.5 cube box after displacement tuned to 32hz. got dual 2 ohms and wiring down to .5 ohms on a bc2000. they are great subs that can handle way over rated rms. id say you will be able to get loud on a good 1000 watt amp with that sub, just make sure you figure in what the amp does at what ohm and get a sub to match.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the Sundown SA series are fantastic subs. they'er 600wrms iirc, can handle twice that, they like a ported box, and get plenty loud if you build a proper box (or have one built, which I'd suggest)

As for which to do first, I'd focus on front components and a highs amp for them. You'll appreciate being able to hear everything crystal clear more than a ton of bass over-powering your front stage.

with that budget, since you already have a head, you could probably afford some decent components, look into the following brands:

Rainbow audio
DLS audio
Dynaudio (pricey)
Hertz audio
CDT audio
Boston Acoustics
JL audio (my last choice)

any of these combined with a decent 2/4 channel amp would sound great. Add sound deadening to your front doors to get rid of some road noise, and increase heard bass response and general SQ

The following users liked this post:
Pals4life (03-02-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
dont need 1000w for an sa12

500-600 is more than enough

Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by marteb73
the Sundown SA series are fantastic subs. they'er 600wrms iirc, can handle twice that, they like a ported box, and get plenty loud if you build a proper box (or have one built, which I'd suggest)

As for which to do first, I'd focus on front components and a highs amp for them. You'll appreciate being able to hear everything crystal clear more than a ton of bass over-powering your front stage.

with that budget, since you already have a head, you could probably afford some decent components, look into the following brands:

Rainbow audio
DLS audio
Dynaudio (pricey)
Hertz audio
CDT audio
Boston Acoustics
JL audio (my last choice)

any of these combined with a decent 2/4 channel amp would sound great. Add sound deadening to your front doors to get rid of some road noise, and increase heard bass response and general SQ
thanks for all the info and advise ya ive heard the Sa-12's love the power and can handle ton of it

and since you said i should look into buying a set of comps first , of the brands you listed above is there any specific set of comps that you would recommend from personal expierence that can get pretty loud but still maintain great SQ?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by eggyhustles
dont need 1000w for an sa12

500-600 is more than enough
really only 500-600? ive heard they can handle much more...

and eggy i know you told me you have heard a number of different comps ..is there any that you would recommend that get kind of loud but maintain great SQ? i know its all about personal preference but im just looking for a list of comps which people recommend so i can possibly try to hear them myself

Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kidgotheat

and eggy i know you told me you have heard a number of different comps ..is there any that you would recommend that get kind of loud but maintain great SQ? i know its all about personal preference but im just looking for a list of comps which people recommend so i can possibly try to hear them myself
brandon from d4s.com was putting 2 sa 12s to a saz 3500 at .5 ohms, you cant get away with overpowering these subs. like i said ill have mine on a bc2000 at .5, ill probably be seeing around 1250-1300 per sub depending on box rise impedance and electrical. ill do some testing with a clamp meter when i get everything set up.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
Personally I would start off with the speakers, then move to the subs. OR wait a little longer and get it all at once, that way you dont need to pull everything apart twice.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 AM

If you put 1000w to the sa12, under real world conditions, you'll gain an extra 3db in output. Not even noticeable.

Power is meaningless most of the time when it comes to subs. Your box plays a much more important factor. People get hyped up by numbers too much.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 AM
thanks for all the info and advise ya ive heard the Sa-12's love the power and can handle ton of it

and since you said i should look into buying a set of comps first , of the brands you listed above is there any specific set of comps that you would recommend from personal expierence that can get pretty loud but still maintain great SQ?
absolutely,

Rainbow SLC's, best comp set I've ever heard for less than ~$250..German made, silk dome tweet, 75rms (I fed them 150w/side and they loved it)

http://www.rainbowcaraudio.com/slc265-25ng.html .... last I checked (probably more now) there were fewer than 5 authorized dealers in the US for Rainbow, I know a guy out of NJ who carries them.

The SLCs sounded better or equally as good as, Boston SPZ, JL C5, Focals at twice the price.. etc. the others I mention are great as well (Hertz has some quality affordable options) but the DLS and DYNaudio get expensive quick. Look into DLS Up6 or Morel or DYN if you really want some SQ (those rainbows are NO slouch tho!), Id highly suggest amping and deadening with anything you choose... no sense in setting up a nice front stage and getting unwanted resonation within your doors or lack of power...

I believe generally, most would be able to hear a 3db difference. its commonly argued that a 3db gain is twice the acoustical output.. but either way, its not a bad idea to stick around or at the RMS of the woofer, maybe a bit more. It would be okay to put 1000w to an SA12, I've seen it numerous times. If you're new to amps, just take it easy with the gain. There are other options for woofers if you have or want more power on tap.

Last edited by marteb73; 02-09-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Incorrect.

double the power=3db gain

double acoustical output=10 db.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM
the point we're arguing is moot anyways, I also don't care

Old 02-09-2012, 02:06 PM
absolutely,

Rainbow SLC's, best comp set I've ever heard for less than ~$250..German made, silk dome tweet, 75rms (I fed them 150w/side and they loved it)

http://www.rainbowcaraudio.com/slc265-25ng.html .... last I checked (probably more now) there were fewer than 5 authorized dealers in the US for Rainbow, I know a guy out of NJ who carries them.

The SLCs sounded better or equally as good as, Boston SPZ, JL C5, Focals at twice the price.. etc. the others I mention are great as well (Hertz has some quality affordable options) but the DLS and DYNaudio get expensive quick. Look into DLS Up6 or Morel or DYN if you really want some SQ (those rainbows are NO slouch tho!), Id highly suggest amping and deadening with anything you choose... no sense in setting up a nice front stage and getting unwanted resonation within your doors or lack of power...

I believe generally, most would be able to hear a 3db difference. its commonly argued that a 3db gain is twice the acoustical output.. but either way, its not a bad idea to stick around or at the RMS of the woofer, maybe a bit more. It would be okay to put 1000w to an SA12, I've seen it numerous times. If you're new to amps, just take it easy with the gain. There are other options for woofers if you have or want more power on tap.
Thanks for the infoo those rainbows that u mentioned do they get loud?or are they strictly for SQ? A lot of people have recommended to me the ID CTX65cs I've read a lot of good reviews but does anyone here have any expierence with these?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Yes, the SLCs will get loud, but it isn't what was #1 in their design.

Anything Image Dynamics are nice as well.

I've heard CDTs personally and they get loud while retaining clarity, just another option...

Old 02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Yes, the SLCs will get loud, but it isn't what was #1 in their design.

Anything Image Dynamics are nice as well.

I've heard CDTs personally and they get loud while retaining clarity, just another option...
Is there any cdts in specific which u recommend and do you know any shops in ny that I can demo them?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: a little help with building my system