Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Mini Itx Computer w/ touch screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2005 | 07:57 PM
|
Mini Itx Computer w/ touch screen

Ok...im planning on putting in a mini computer with an 80 gig hard drive, cdwriter/dvd player, wireless card, with a mini itx motherboard. Im probably going to put it in my trunk, unless it fits in the compartment above the glove compartment. Anyways, my question is can i hook the video out of the computer into the AUX. IN in the factory amp (and if so...what else do i need to do). I dont really want to bother with new speakers or a sub as i had them in my old car and it got old. I think the sound in the g35 coupe is good enough. I have a JL 500/1 amp that i could replace the factory amp with if the speakers are rated for 500 watts (not sure...but i dont think so). I have a JL 10w3v2 with custom case but dont want to waste all my trunk room with that. (Its actually on ebay right now) So i guess my question is whats the best way to get the sound out of the computer into the factory sound system. Im planning on hooking up a touch screen with options for navigation, dvd, and music using a linux program.

Old 01-03-2005 | 08:48 PM
|
not the video out....i meant the audio out

Old 01-04-2005 | 08:56 AM
Staff Alumni
Using a PAC AAI-NIS unit that will use the "SAT" button on your Bose radio. Assuming you don't have satellite and have the SAT button.

Old 01-04-2005 | 10:03 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
I measured it out and you can probably fit an ITX board in the upperglovebox along with a 2.5" hard drive and DC power supply using the digitalwheelz single DIN converter http://www.digitalwheelz.com/G35DinConverter_About.htm. Also fitting a WiFi card and DVD / CD may even be possible, but its really pushing it. I would recommend putting just the DVD / CD in the upper glovebox via USB and the CPU in the trunk.

Also have you considered going with a shuttle XPC. It's a tiny bit bigger then an ITX solution, but you get a lot more power and upgradability for the same money and it runs cool and quiet. OPUS also makes a bracket for thier power supply specifically for use with the XPC.

Also what are you going to use for NAV on linux? I know theres GPSDrive, but that seems to be more mapping then navigation.

Old 01-04-2005 | 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
I measured it out and you can probably fit an ITX board in the upperglovebox along with a 2.5" hard drive and DC power supply using the digitalwheelz single DIN converter http://www.digitalwheelz.com/G35DinConverter_About.htm.
VERY nice work on the coversion kit. As I have the factory nav, it's not something I would use.....but I'm curious about something. How do you hook the DVD player you used, (which I assume has RCA outputs) to the computer? I gather you use a video board with a video in? Or is the video on the motherboard you use?

Old 01-04-2005 | 11:49 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
If your asking about the BOSS DVD player you saw in pictures on my site, the answer is I don't use that DVD player with my carputer. That was just a prototype I temporarily installed for testing the DIN converter. I now have a slim slot loading DVD drive for the computer installed. I use a laptop IDE -> 3.5" ide converter to a IDE -> USB 2.0 converter to hook it up to the carputer.

Old 01-04-2005 | 10:09 PM
How about Micro-ITX? Not sure if those are even out yet, but I've got a few projects waiting for their appearance....

Old 01-04-2005 | 10:41 PM
I plan to install this in the upper glove box: http://indashpc.org/in_dash_pc.html

I just need to get the funds and time.

Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
I measured it out and you can probably fit an ITX board in the upperglovebox along with a 2.5" hard drive and DC power supply using the digitalwheelz single DIN converter http://www.digitalwheelz.com/G35DinConverter_About.htm. Also fitting a WiFi card and DVD / CD may even be possible, but its really pushing it. I would recommend putting just the DVD / CD in the upper glovebox via USB and the CPU in the trunk.

Also have you considered going with a shuttle XPC. It's a tiny bit bigger then an ITX solution, but you get a lot more power and upgradability for the same money and it runs cool and quiet. OPUS also makes a bracket for thier power supply specifically for use with the XPC.

Also what are you going to use for NAV on linux? I know theres GPSDrive, but that seems to be more mapping then navigation.

Old 01-04-2005 | 10:51 PM
|
Now if i put the computer in my trunk, im planning on loading a gps program as well as using the harddrive for music, and im gonna run wires to the front upper glove compartment and put in a dvd/cdrw drive. How do you hook it up to the factory bose system using the PAC AAI-NIS? This seems like the easiest and best way to connect the carputer to the sound system. Just need to know how?? thanks.

Old 01-05-2005 | 09:49 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Originally Posted by Airs414
How do you hook it up to the factory bose system using the PAC AAI-NIS? This seems like the easiest and best way to connect the carputer to the sound system. Just need to know how?? thanks.
Its the best, but it's definitly not the easiest since you have to take out the radio to do it, but after you do that, all you have to do is swap a plug in the back of the radio for the AAI-NIS one then just hook 2 rca cables up to it.

Old 01-05-2005 | 01:49 PM
|
Is there a DIY for that....I cant find one??

Old 01-05-2005 | 02:24 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Not specifically, you can download the installation instructions for the digitalwheelz screen housing and follow the first chapter of instructions for disassembling the center console to get access to the radio. Everything else should be trivial or covered by the AAI-NIS installation manual.

http://www.digitalwheelz.com/G35Scre...tallation.html

Old 01-06-2005 | 01:03 AM
Correction to previous post, not Micro-ITX but rather Nano-ITX, which measures 12cm x 12cm. Word is those are due out Q2 '05.

Old 01-06-2005 | 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by firefox
I plan to install this in the upper glove box: http://indashpc.org/in_dash_pc.html

I just need to get the funds and time.
What size is the disk on a chip? Who makes that?

Old 01-11-2005 | 03:39 PM
I have some pics of the pac aai-nis hookups in the back of the bose if they help....
here's the link..
http://www.chupkin.com/album83

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mini Itx Computer w/ touch screen