Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

To Dynamat or not?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Dynamat or not?!

Hey all, looking for input...

I am about to upgrade my audio system (new HU, amp, sub, cap, speakers) and I was looking for advice on using the Dynamat (or other product). I have done lots of systems in lots of cars, but I have never done used this type of thing.

Should I go to through the work and cost of this step? What is good for? What would I gain? Where should I do it?

Any input or advice would be great!

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dynamat is great! If you have the funds and more importantly the time to apply it or get it done, then go for it! It will help reduce any unwanted vibes that may be a direct result of a high power sound system, as well as if you plan on adding some major bass. It also helps reduce road noise and keeps the inside of your cabin quiter, which is a plus for any sound system, stock or not. Most high end cars these days even some mid-class vehicles are now coming with a dynamat like coating and or sheet in the doors, pillars and body work, to further keep road, drivetrain and engine noises to a minimum. Once again, if you have the resources and the time to do it, its always a plus! If you dont want to go to crazy, only apply it to some of the more critical areas of your car like the trunk, the lid, the doors, behind and underneath your dash, and don't forget your licence plates (as they love to rattle - and Dynamat even makes special cut small pieces exactly for that). All in all, you cant go wrong it!

Old 01-06-2005, 07:21 AM
I am adding a sub (I think with 4080's box), so should I just do the trunk as a start?

How much does the stuff cost? Where is the best place to get it?

Old 01-06-2005, 09:08 AM
I would do the doors. Will help with midrange and midbass. Doors tend to resonate a lot. You'll probably be blown away at the difference, even when you shut your doors.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:06 PM
yea sound deadening materials help. Dynamat makes good stuff but they are very expensive. I think its over 120 for 36 sq feet. You can get a lot more from elemental designs with edead which is similar to dynamat. I dont know if edead is as good as dynamt or not but i doubt that you would be able to tell a difference, I think ed sells edead for 1 buck a sq foot. if you do your whole car, I would recommend at least 70 sq feet. good luck

Old 01-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought this when i did my install. Pretty good price. Shipping was free but slow (1 week). Definitely makes a big difference in outside noise level. My car is much quieter inside now and this enhances the music quality.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:01 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
yes...do it.

does it help? it's a question you have to answer yourself. i think there is a solid theory behind using sound deadening material, especially inside a car.

cheapest place is on Ebay. $120 shipped for a bulk pack. one pack allowed me to do the two doors, both rear qtr panels, underneath the backseat and under the trunk.

i bought another pack to do the trunk and eventually the wheel well (inside the car) and underneath the carpet.

IT IS A LOT OF HARD WORK!!!

a heat gun as well as a rubber roller will help. sharp cutting utensil (razor) and bandaids.

here's some pics...

Old 01-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dynamatted my doors, rear sear area (especially the wheel well area), and trunk. You can see pics in my sig.