Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

About to Do the Double Din Replacement on an 03 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to Do the Double Din Replacement on an 03 Coupe

As the title says, I am about to take the plunge and hit the double din replacement this weekend (Saturday, 9/1/12). Right now, I can't think of anything that I'm unprepared for... but I am offering to take any pictures that people want while I am doing the install. There are enough DIY's for the actual procedure, but I will have the ability to snap any miscellaneous pics that people request.

I based the parts that I would need off of Wrathernaut's Double Din Shopping and Resource List.

Some other Threads that I found useful were:
The Metra instructions for installation on the 03 Coupe
The Metra Axxis Manual
WRATHERNAUT's 05-07 Stereo Removal Video
cninham's door speaker installation photos
I'm sure that there are other's, but that is what I have bookmarked right now.

My Installation Plan
I have an iPhone 4 in an otter box case. I have the belt clip that I am going to try and modify so that I can mount it in my non-nav cubby (see photo from afloridahottie here). If I can't get this to happen during the install (when I can take the cubby out and look at it closer), I plan on routing the iPhone connector cord to my arm rest.

I bought a cheap backup camera as a last minute installation decision. If I have everything apart, I might as well install the wiring for a camera (reverse cord and RCA input) so that I don't have to blow everything apart later for such a simple thing. I figure that the Esky should come with an RCA cord (for cheap). I'm not a huge fan of the camera look, but I just didn't have time to do additional research (and it was one of the cheapest temporary options). Suggestions for a better camera is requested. I also have not decided if I am going to hook up the camera to the reverse lights, or if I want to tap into the stock Bose wiring for power. I am just trying to determine if having the camera always powered on when the car is on will be detrimental to the camera itself.

I am planning on running the mic for the HU to an area around the rear view mirror (see Wrathernaut's photo here). We will see how this goes when the time comes.

In addition, I decided to go ahead and prewire my car for a 5-channel amp and a sub. I honestly don't have the time to replace the speakers, add an amp and a sub right now... but I will probably finish off the stereo after I take my Professional Engineering exam in October. I will run the 4-gauge power wire (for the amp), a set of 4-channel RCA interconnects (for front and rear speakers), and a set of 2-channel RCA interconnects (for the sub) loose into the trunk. I plan on capping all of the connections (and leaving out the fuse for the power cord) until I get around to replacing the speakers (suggestion for speakers and amp are appreciated). The routing path I am planning on taking is down the driver's side for the 6 RCA channels and the backup camera RCA and down the passenger side for the 4-gauge power cord. This should help in eliminating any interference that the wires might have if they are run too close together.

Notes So Far
1. I should have gone with the JDM kit over the Metra Double Din Kit. I really didn't think that I would care about the rubbery looking AC controls... but honestly, they look terrible. The rest of the kit seems okay... but the buttons really do look bad in person. I might consider swapping it out sometime in the future if I feel like spending the time and money. After spending so much time and money preparing for this... I cheaped out on one of the details, and it will show. Lesson learned the hard way on this one.
2. I am wiring my car so that I, once I do install the sub and enclosure, I have the option of plugging in the Bose amp back in and temporarily removing the enclosure. This means that I when I do wire up the new amp to speakers, I will reconnect the Bose harness... I just will leave it unplugged when I have the full system in.
2a. This will also give me the option of reverting everything back to 100% stock in the event that I want to remove everything when it comes time to sell the car. The only wires that I am looking at possibly hard wiring in are the Metra Axxis Steering Wheel controls... I'll decide my course of action during the actual install.
3. I ordered the
Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring
, but I am going to end up not using it. Tonight, when I went ahead and prepped the Metra Double Din Kit (trimming off the plastic shipping bracket and mounting the provided trim ring), I test fit the head unit and it fits without a gap requiring the additional trim ring.
4. I used a hot glue gun to get the Metra Double Din trim ring to position it permanently in place without having any play in it. I think that this went very well based on the dry fit of the head unit.
5. Tonight I went ahead and soldered the head unit adapter, PAC ROEMNIS2, Metra Axxis, and parking break override together and zip tied it into a nice looking bundle. I used some
3M 1/8 Black Heat Shrink Tubing 3M 1/8 Black Heat Shrink Tubing
over the connections. Not only does it look professional and will make for an easier install, it is also taking up a TON less room than if I had used butt connectors like I have used on other head unit installs. I followed Wrathernaut's wiring diagram when I soldered everything together. The only note that I have is that I did not have (or need) to prep a wire to connect to the Vehicle Speed Sensor (no navigation in the new HU).

So with that novel written, I welcome any comments, suggestions, or installation photo requests.

Last edited by Scott28; 08-29-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: correct credit for the video ;)
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Just check my requested contributions post for what I'm looking for, otherwise, just posting up a testimonial on how everything worked because you followed what was posted is all that I can ask for... Some people still try and do things differently because they think they know better and have to tear everything out later to put it the way it should have been in the first place.

Also, I made the correction for the video you linked. That's my video that Lone Wolf was directing somebody to. Just remember mine's the 05-06, you're doing the 03-04, so only a bit of it will actually transfer over to the earlier model.

Good luck with the install too. If you have any problems, I'll be back in Savannah in a few weeks if you feel like a little drive north to get a couple helping hands.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 08-29-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Also, I made the correction for the video you linked. That's my video that Lone Wolf was directing somebody to. Just remember mine's the 05-06, you're doing the 03-04, so only a bit of it will actually transfer over to the earlier model..
My bad about that... it was just the first post I found that I had bookmarked with the video. And the most helpful part about the video was seeing how to remove the trim over the gear shift, as I have a 6MT, and there wasn't a lot of info to be found about how to remove it. Now that I have looked at it, I understand that it was beacuse it is easy to pull off.

I also added a section about my notes and observations so far.

Lastly: What I am installing - I got all parts so far through Amazon

Pioneer AVH-P8400BH-2 Pioneer AVH-P8400BH-2

Parking Brake Override Bypass Parking Brake Override Bypass

Pioneer CDIU201S Advanced App Mode USB Interface Cable Pioneer CDIU201S Advanced App Mode USB Interface Cable

Esky Waterproof NTSC Backup Camera Esky Waterproof NTSC Backup Camera

Metra 99-7604 Double Din Kit Metra 99-7604 Double Din Kit

PAC ROEMNIS2 Factory Premium Sound Interface PAC ROEMNIS2 Factory Premium Sound Interface

Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antnna Adapter Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antnna Adapter

Tsunami RTP9504-17 4 Channel RCA Interconnects Tsunami RTP9504-17 4 Channel RCA Interconnects

Tsunami AMP04BL-RCA 4 Gauge/1600 Watt Amplifier Install Kit Tsunami AMP04BL-RCA 4 Gauge/1600 Watt Amplifier Install Kit

Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Looks like you've got it under control, good luck.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Actually... I do have a quick question. New head unit harness with the Metra Axxis and PAC ROEMNIS2 is all soldered up, and I left the 3 wires for the Metra Axxis bare so I can solder the steering wheel controls on once I get the car blown apart. Should I also use an external ground to the newly created harness... and is there anywhere specific that seems to work well?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Scott28
Actually... I do have a quick question. New head unit harness with the Metra Axxis and PAC ROEMNIS2 is all soldered up, and I left the 3 wires for the Metra Axxis bare so I can solder the steering wheel controls on once I get the car blown apart. Should I also use an external ground to the newly created harness... and is there anywhere specific that seems to work well?
Both of these screws at the front have worked well for me and a few others, I put the radio's main ground on one side, and the axxess on the other. Just be sure to turn the connectors down so they don't interfere with sliding the radio into place, and be sure you're sandwiched between the metal and plastic, not between the screw and the plastic.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the same boat

So - i am at the same position - maybe a week or so behind. I have an '03 6MT that i finally had the radio crap out. I have nav on my car so i dont yet know if that will complicate the double din install.

How did you decide on the AVH-P8400BH over the SPH-DA100? I have been looking at them both. I also think i am going with the PAC SWI-RC over the Metra ASWC. - but for no specific reason except for the fact that i found it first.

Keep us posted on how it all goes. I will go through your post and check out all the links. Thanks for compiling so much great info
Scott

Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Wrathernaut will probably correct me if I am mistaken with any of the info below... but since I have an 03 coupe with a 6MT, I should be able to help some:

Originally Posted by scott_atm
So - i am at the same position - maybe a week or so behind. I have an '03 6MT that i finally had the radio crap out. I have nav on my car so i dont yet know if that will complicate the double din install.
You will need to get the JDM trim over the Metra trim piece for the Nav. I saw a post (actually it was a video) that showed the navigation panel being shaved to fit the Metra trim. While this is possible, don't cheap out here. I really thought that I wouldn't care about using the Metra trim... but the AC controls look like doo-doo. I bet you can find a ton of pics on using google images to show how bad they actually look.

How did you decide on the AVH-P8400BH over the SPH-DA100? I have been looking at them both.
The 8400 has the option of a cd player. For quick trips, its not always optimal to hit up an external music player. Also, sometimes a let my mom borrow my car... so it gives her other options besides only having a radio. I also didn't want a built in GPS. I have a work truck, so being able to move my GPS from one vehicle to the other makes more sense for me. It can get expensive to pay for map updates on multiple devices. It's all about what works best for your budget and personal situation. Make a well thought out, logical, researched decision and don't ever second guess yourself. Only take into account features you will use, not ones that sound cool in theory, but you will never use (i.e. mixtrax for me). Sleep on it for an extra day or two if your on the fence about options. You will be happier in the long run that way.

I also think i am going with the PAC SWI-RC over the Metra ASWC. - but for no specific reason except for the fact that i found it first.
Based on my research, the PAC SWI-RC requires extra soldering of resistors during the install. The Axxis is an easier install. I believe that the PAC SWI-RC is really only beneficial if the head unit has voice control capabilities. Do a search for this... or maybe Wrathernaut can verify this information.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 AM
Also, below are some additional threads I found useful:

Backup Camera Install - I made some brackets (out of an old sheet metal CD bracket) like the one linked. Will post pics if I get it to work.

cninham posted some pictures in this thread that helped me know where to tap into the reverse wire. Check out posts #14, #15, and #16.

docron1 has a sticky with a pdf of his 2003 install here. I plan on using it to blow apart my dash on saturday. Check out the stickies at the top of the forum for some good late night reading.

dR6 also has a sticky here with some pictures (see post #2) about how to access the power cable through the firewall.

The main thing that I have not delved into just yet is what wires on the Bose amp connection correspond to the front speakers or the amp remote power on. Due to time constraints, I am just running the RCA cables and power wire to the trunk this go around. I plan on replacing the speakers and adding a 10-inch sub (probably with a Zenclosures sub box) at some point in the near future (after I take my Professional Engineering exam in late October).

User cninham had a few posts where he showed the install for some Infinity Kappa 60.9 components including tweeters in the stock front location in this thread. He also added some Kappa 62.9 in the rear. If/when you replace the speakers, you will need to acquire some form of mounting ring like these. It sounds like the Kappa's leave a bit to be desired in the mid-bass section... but I have not finished my research here either (I believe some guys recommend using HIGH quality front speakers and a sub only). Research will go far in the ultimate decision here.

My ultimate plan is to have the option of removing the Zenclosures box with attached amp and re-plugging in the stock Bose amp so that I can regain full use of the trunk pass through incase I need to (I will leave the stock 6x9's in place for this option)... so speakers that work with the stock amp are the likely route that I will be taking. Again, I got some research to do before I drop the cash for a sub, box, and speakers.

That's all I got for now.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just started reading Wrathernaut's thread. Lots of great info. Part of me is just considering taking it into car toys for the install. I have had this car apart before I just don't know of I want to invest the time under the dash. I guess that is a decision I will have to make after I get the parts on hand.

I actually have a stuck cd from 3 years ago so the cd slot in the 8400 was not a huge draw. Did u see any weaknesses in the da100? The fact that it is cheaper, comes with the iPod cable and as a bonus has the gps antenna seems to hard to pass up. I just feel I am overlooking something. Everything in my body says that more expensive means better so I cannot walk away from the 8400

The more I read, the more I learn! M

Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Honestly, I really didn't do a ton of research into the DA100. My radio went out 3.5 weeks ago and between work, preparing for my exam, and visiting my grandfather (in hospital 4 hours away) every weekend... I had a limited time to get everything together to do the install. I had my schedule mapped out such that Labor Day weekend was the only time until November where I had an entire day in town where I can actually do the install. I needed to receive all parts in ASAP, as I would be without AC controls (in Florida!!!) or a radio until November if I didn't act quick. It was initially between the 4400 and the 8400 for me... and for the costs I could find, it was the 8400 that was my ultimate decision. You might be best off asking everyone (i.e. creating a new post) asking everyone else's opinion. I'm far from being an expert in this area... the last time I even looked at new stereo's was in 04 when I replaced my stock GTi stereo.

The time limit was also the reason that I went with the Metra kit over sourcing a JDM one. Amazon had it in stock... I didn't find a place selling a JDM kit quick enough. I really wish I went with the JDM one though. Maybe I have a future project in the works

Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 AM
Found the Metra Navigation conversion option. Check the below YouTube video for info on how to modify the Metra kit. I don't know who made this video... if a name is know, let me know and I will give appropriate credit. I found it by searching for "G35 Metra Navigation" on the Googles.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

How did you decide on the AVH-P8400BH over the SPH-DA100? I have been looking at them both. I also think i am going with the PAC SWI-RC over the Metra ASWC. - but for no specific reason except for the fact that i found it first.

Keep us posted on how it all goes. I will go through your post and check out all the links. Thanks for compiling so much great info
Scott
8400 has the removable faceplate for security, it also has the built-in HD fm receiver. These may not be big for you, but they're good to have. The Appradio (SPH-DA100) has some neat capabilities, but it's still a niche product right now. Without the iPhone it's a pretty weak offering (and needs a $80 adapter to use Android), so if you're ever without your phone, it's a pretty basic unit. There's also the issue of audio out from it. It has only four 2v pre-outs, compared to the six 4v preouts on the 8400. I generally recommend 2.1 audio (front soundstage + subwoofer) in cars, but the higher voltage means you've a better setup for aftermarket audio.

Scott28 nailed why the ASWC is better. No soldering, and in most cases, no confusion programming sequence either.

I'd love to support the Appradio, but since I'm not an iPhone user, I wouldn't purchase one for myself.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:54 PM
And I'm done. I have installed stereos in about 6 other cars... and this one takes the cake for being the most pain in the "rear end".

First off: the Metra kit is TERRIBLE. I cannot emphasize that enough. I planned on reusing the metal bracket from the stock trim... that's a big NOPE there. Way too much trimming and potentially JB Welding new mounting locations to the Metra kit for this to be a good idea.

Second: I've never claimed to be a smart man... which is a good thing since I plugged in the cable for my iPhone into the wrong damn USB port. Yes I already buttoned everything up when I noticed. Yes, I test fit everything to make sure it was in the right place... I just didn't test to see that it was in the correct USB port... I just played some music and said, "Hey Scott, you're s*** works. Good job. You really are a badass now." Guess I will fix that in November when I upgrade the speakers. Say lah vee.

Third: I could not locate the purple reverse wire. I checked out this post during the install... but I had no purple wire located there (I had the blue/white wire though). I tucked the cord that I ran for the reverse wire under the carpet, and I just figured that I would manually operate the camera until I could locate the purple wire....... BUT....

Fourth: The backup cam that I bought (or possibly the HU input, although I doubt it) does not work. What an awesome day for me. I did already run the video wire... so I tucked it in next to the spare tire waiting to be hooked up. When I do install a backup camera now, it will be a piece of cake.

Fifth: Captain Awesome here also broke the heck out of his clock bezel trim piece. I have taken it off before without any issues, but I guess I used up all my luck on scratch offs (I doubled up my money and am now an 8-dollar-aire). I'm gonna JB Weld that piece back together tonight... but I am not so sure how good it is going to turn out looking. Might just have to pony up another $100 for a new one.

Wrathernaut... I wanted to get a pic of the Metra Axxis all wired up, but my wires looked terrible and were packed in there tighter than cash in a ... well it was packed in tight. Someone with less wires (i.e. not having 6 extra RCA wires) is gonna have to grab this pic.

I also pre-ran the wires for a sub and the four stereo channels. The back seat and back seat trim was annoying to figure out... but very doable.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Scott28
And I'm done. I have installed stereos in about 6 other cars... and this one takes the cake for being the most pain in the "rear end".

First off: the Metra kit is TERRIBLE. I cannot emphasize that enough. I planned on reusing the metal bracket from the stock trim... that's a big NOPE there. Way too much trimming and potentially JB Welding new mounting locations to the Metra kit for this to be a good idea.

Second: I've never claimed to be a smart man... which is a good thing since I plugged in the cable for my iPhone into the wrong damn USB port. Yes I already buttoned everything up when I noticed. Yes, I test fit everything to make sure it was in the right place... I just didn't test to see that it was in the correct USB port... I just played some music and said, "Hey Scott, you're s*** works. Good job. You really are a badass now." Guess I will fix that in November when I upgrade the speakers. Say lah vee.

Third: I could not locate the purple reverse wire. I checked out this post during the install... but I had no purple wire located there (I had the blue/white wire though). I tucked the cord that I ran for the reverse wire under the carpet, and I just figured that I would manually operate the camera until I could locate the purple wire....... BUT....

Fourth: The backup cam that I bought (or possibly the HU input, although I doubt it) does not work. What an awesome day for me. I did already run the video wire... so I tucked it in next to the spare tire waiting to be hooked up. When I do install a backup camera now, it will be a piece of cake.

Fifth: Captain Awesome here also broke the heck out of his clock bezel trim piece. I have taken it off before without any issues, but I guess I used up all my luck on scratch offs (I doubled up my money and am now an 8-dollar-aire). I'm gonna JB Weld that piece back together tonight... but I am not so sure how good it is going to turn out looking. Might just have to pony up another $100 for a new one.

Wrathernaut... I wanted to get a pic of the Metra Axxis all wired up, but my wires looked terrible and were packed in there tighter than cash in a ... well it was packed in tight. Someone with less wires (i.e. not having 6 extra RCA wires) is gonna have to grab this pic.

I also pre-ran the wires for a sub and the four stereo channels. The back seat and back seat trim was annoying to figure out... but very doable.
Never had anyone complain about fitment with the Metra kit, just the materials and buttons.

When building the diagram, I checked 04 and an 06 and 07 coupe wiring, they're all a purple reverse wire in the bundle. I should have checked sedan as well.
I never thought to confirm with sedans, so I'm doing that now, and will update the main DDin sticky with the changes if necessary....

EDIT: Yes, it's orange for the sedans.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-01-2012 at 08:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to Do the Double Din Replacement on an 03 Coupe