Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

sound deadening doors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
sound deadening doors

hi everyone, im getting all my products together for my audio upgrade. my next purchase is gonna be sound deadening for the front doors. please give me suggestions such as brand, products, amount to purchase ect. also, any tips on install would be greatly appreciated. remember, im only doing the front doors at this time. thnx

Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I used Fat Mat in my install and it works great. I can't tell you how much was used, a friend of mine used some leftover from another build. For install get a small roller then use a hair dryer to heat up the material so it gets more pliable and roll it onto the surface. Make sure you cut out spaces for bolts and such so you can still get to them. Here's a pic for reference.

Show more

Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM
blue dream coming thru once again with good info. i thank you sir. did u put any of the fatmat on the outer skin as well?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
None on the outer skin. Just what you see.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
I just did my inner doors. Pulled off the door piece and did behind the windows. I will be doing this part next. Honestly I used maybe 6 feet total. Probably more like 4

Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
I did the outer skin in addition to the inner skin, similar to Blue Dream, definitely a great investment.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM
thnx for the replies guys. wrathernaut, what brand do you like? i know dynamat is the standard but i like to look at all options b4 jumping on something. Is this one of those things where even if you went with some cheap stuff, "something is better than nothing" or im i mistaken? as you suggested, im gonna throw the comps up front and forgo the sub for now if deadening gives me decent bass.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 AM
U se fat mat. Much cheaper, and just as nice. I'm using their mid grade things. It's amazing.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by sandaluv
thnx for the replies guys. wrathernaut, what brand do you like? i know dynamat is the standard but i like to look at all options b4 jumping on something. Is this one of those things where even if you went with some cheap stuff, "something is better than nothing" or im i mistaken? as you suggested, im gonna throw the comps up front and forgo the sub for now if deadening gives me decent bass.
Dynamat's crap, which manages to survive because they have good marketing, so people know the name and think it's good (kinda like Bose audio). I highly recommend sounddeadenershowdown.com for deadening products. Other ones that good are ok are RAAMmat and Second Skin Damplifier.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm using RAAMmat now. You have to use 2-3 layers, but its solid.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Dynamat's crap, which manages to survive because they have good marketing, so people know the name and think it's good (kinda like Bose audio). I highly recommend sounddeadenershowdown.com for deadening products. Other ones that good are ok are RAAMmat and Second Skin Damplifier.
SDS gets good reviews everywhere i look and obviously your advise is well respected. i will order some tonight. thnx brother

Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynamat is great stuff, just severly over priced; like mentioned before they have amazing marketing. That said I used Fat Mat on my Tib I had years ago; 100 sqft for around $140 or so now last I searched, and it works perfect. I stripped the car down to nothing and did a single layer throughout the whole car, and then a double layer in the trunk area since it was a hatch back. I still had quite a bit left over. I had headers, with no Cat's and a cat back exhaust with no resonator; it droned bad at highway speeds. Needless to say after the fat mat install the drone was almost gone. It also kept in all the sound from my system; 2 JL 10w7's with a 1000/1 amp, and all Type R mids and highs front and rear powered by a 300/4. Outside of the car it sounded almost stock with just a little hint of the bass, but inside was .

I will give caution to anyone that uses the roller to apply any sound deadener to the inside of the outside sheet metal skins; you press to hard you will leave crease lines in the metal skin, trust me. The metal is very thin and easily can be manipulated.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM
good info kartunez. your advice on the roller makes seinse and im surprised theres little warning about this out there, at least what ive read. thnx

Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandaluv
good info kartunez. your advice on the roller makes seinse and im surprised theres little warning about this out there, at least what ive read. thnx
You are definitely welcome; I had to learn that the hardway. I do know that most kits supply a plastic roller where as I had a wooden roller; that may be why I caused small creases/imprints from the roller going back and forth. You could only see them in the right light at the right angle, but they were still there none the less. I actually broke the plastic one, so that probably shows I was heavy handed anyways!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by kartunez
Dynamat is great stuff, just severly over priced; like mentioned before they have amazing marketing. That said I used Fat Mat on my Tib I had years ago; 100 sqft for around $140 or so now last I searched, and it works perfect. I stripped the car down to nothing and did a single layer throughout the whole car, and then a double layer in the trunk area since it was a hatch back. I still had quite a bit left over. I had headers, with no Cat's and a cat back exhaust with no resonator; it droned bad at highway speeds. Needless to say after the fat mat install the drone was almost gone. It also kept in all the sound from my system; 2 JL 10w7's with a 1000/1 amp, and all Type R mids and highs front and rear powered by a 300/4. Outside of the car it sounded almost stock with just a little hint of the bass, but inside was .

I will give caution to anyone that uses the roller to apply any sound deadener to the inside of the outside sheet metal skins; you press to hard you will leave crease lines in the metal skin, trust me. The metal is very thin and easily can be manipulated.
If you're double-layering vibration dampener, you're doing it wrong. Preventing the panels from vibrating is accomplished with about 25% coverage. Vibration dampener is not good at blocking sound from passing through it, for that, you need a vinyl barrier and foam.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: sound deadening doors