Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Oem navi custom double din

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oem navi custom double din

Hello fellow drivers. So I've been looking online and threw the forum and I couldn't find anything on this subject.

My dd faceplate right now was used out of a oem non navi Bose unit. The guy who I bought it from made it and then when he sold his G he sold it to me.

I want to buy an oem 07 navi unit and cut the bottom half and do what the one guy did for me. Is there any wiring that I would have to do. Or is it just plug and play. I noticed on a picture that the navi has some plugs on the top. I'm just trying to line everything up so I don't have any surprises.

So long story short. I have a dd unit already in my car. But I want to integrate the oem navi. And also have a dd.

Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Welp, if I read this all correctly, you want the OEM pop up navi. Now, I'm not sure if you just want the faceplate or the actual navi but I will say this. If you already have a functional dd unit, I can almost garuntee that it would be cheaper to switch that out to one with nav than adding the OEM nav unit to your current car.

The faceplate can easily be found on ebay. But, I don't know of ANYONE who has ADDED factory OEM navigation to a non navigation car. Do you just want 2 screens? The navi is a lot more involved than just adding that pop up monitor. It's an entire system: monitor, buttonery(not a real world but there's a host of buttons that have to be added), dvd reader/player above glove box. It's like a West Coast Customs undertaking to add something that, in all honesty, sux. lol. I have mine and I'm only keeping it to read my back-up camera display and play movies (hoes like movies).

Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
haha drift. hoes do like movies. yea basically i wanted the 2 screens. i found whole oem unit with the dvd player for like 150. so i already have the dd unit and the jdm air controls.

so i wasnt sure if i buy the new unit with everything, screen, buttons, dvd player and bose radio. i just wasnt sure if i could take out the bottom half of the unit which is the bose part and replace that with my jdm dd piece and my ac piece.

i know i have seen people with the oem navi and a dd so i just wasnt sure how they were doing it.

maybe they cut the oem piece and made a mold around the dd but my car came with all options except navi and brembos and i have a set of akebonos that im going to put on so i was just debating the whole oem unit.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
#1 The factory navi sucks *****.

#2 THE FACTORY NAVI SUCKS.

#3 I wouldn't put the factory navi into my non-navi car if you paid me $500, let alone me paying $150 for it.

#4 A $150 garmin is about 50x better than the factory navigation. Map updates for the stock system cost more than $150. A $150 garmin can be found with lifetime free map updates and free traffic data. A $150 garmin has an interface that's touchscreen and much more user friendly.

#5 Installing the factory navi into a non-navi unit involves complete dash removal and replacement of the old wiring harness to put the new one in.

#6 Here's what that the wiring harness looks like that you'll be replacing:

#7 A lot of people don't remove that wiring harness that you need because it's such a pain, so if your $150 kit doesn't include it, expect to pay out the nose for one.

If you want to something sorta cool, just take the navi screen out of the housing and use it to mount a garmin inside, or a mount for your smartphone, which I'm sure has better navigation than the factory navigation. You will have to modify the JDM trim to get the navigation controls to fit (like this). With some creative wiring, you could make the buttons to other features you want, or use them as a panel to hide AUX inputs... lots of stuff limited only by your skill and creativity.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 01-28-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
agreed with warthernaut. The factory navi sux. I took my out and replaced it was a tablet. I'm using google navi and its a much better navi. If you dont have the navi harness, your project is dead in the water.

I would suggest just getting a dd with navi built in. If you just want a second screen, you can probably just pay a fabricator to integrate a 7" touchscreen into the cubby pocket.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well put Warthernaut

Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I retrofitted the oem nav screen mechanism in with an aftermarket screen hooked up to my pioneer z3 head unit so I got two screens. I also gutted the navi controls so I could put my A/F monitor and boost controller in there but still kept the aluminum bezel. The up/down control mostly works too. I can take a pick if you want.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by suprasam
I retrofitted the oem nav screen mechanism in with an aftermarket screen hooked up to my pioneer z3 head unit so I got two screens. I also gutted the navi controls so I could put my A/F monitor and boost controller in there but still kept the aluminum bezel. The up/down control mostly works too. I can take a pick if you want.
This reminds me how much I wish they kept the dual screen navigation and such from the Z3 in later units.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
This reminds me how much I wish they kept the dual screen navigation and such from the Z3 in later units.
Oh, the newer units don't have this ability? good thing I've been holding out on replacing my z3...actually its a z1 that i've been upgrading as they release the firmware...so it is around 7 years old now. I guess as long as it still works I'm happy.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
wow. i had no idea it be that in depth. o well i guess ill just have to come up with something else. maybe an ipad mini or something.

right now my hands are pretty full with my car. ive got akebonos to put on, tein coilovers, spc front and rear and a few other things so i have alittle time to come up with a better plan.

thanks Wrathernaut and everyone else.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by 420OG35
wow. i had no idea it be that in depth. o well i guess ill just have to come up with something else. maybe an ipad mini or something.

right now my hands are pretty full with my car. ive got akebonos to put on, tein coilovers, spc front and rear and a few other things so i have alittle time to come up with a better plan.

thanks Wrathernaut and everyone else.
No problem, and when you decide what you're doing, I can definitely give you a hand if you feel like driving a little ways north into Savannah.