Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Captainfalco
05 sedan no nav, no satellite tuner. I would like to try the plan b listed ahead. Would all I need is some sort of resistor on the tuner harness in the trunk to activate the satellite on the factory head unit?
Nope.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotcha. Has anybody ever tapped the CD changer for an input? I think i seen somebody mention it earlier in this thread. Would you have to have a burnt CD playing essentially a blank track?

Old 10-02-2016, 10:52 PM
If you want to go with the simple route I use the tape from Target and plug it into my ipone6. I have 2 Infinity 10 Inch Subwoofers in the trunk and the stock bose stereo and it slumps. Although some may not have the tape casette to aux cord availability, my 04 model has it still and I am not sure which year they phased it out tho

Old 10-04-2016, 01:49 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Captainfalco
Gotcha. Has anybody ever tapped the CD changer for an input? I think i seen somebody mention it earlier in this thread. Would you have to have a burnt CD playing essentially a blank track?
If you do a toggle switch to swap between the CD analog signal and your aux input, any CD would work, but if you just spliced into it, you'd need a CD of silence.

The first post in this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...epair-diy.html has a link to the circuit diagram.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey so i have an 04 g35 sedan 6mt. I have the OEM iPod hooked up via the trunk. everything is working fine however i want to pick yall brain to see how you guys are using the OEM hookup via SAT on a iPhone 5 or 6? please show me what yall are doing cuz the 30 pin to lightning doesn't work for me. Also the poem iPod kit say "no charging" is it supposed to be like this?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:30 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Dablakbradpitt
hey so i have an 04 g35 sedan 6mt. I have the OEM iPod hooked up via the trunk. everything is working fine however i want to pick yall brain to see how you guys are using the OEM hookup via SAT on a iPhone 5 or 6? please show me what yall are doing cuz the 30 pin to lightning doesn't work for me. Also the poem iPod kit say "no charging" is it supposed to be like this?
The OEM iPod adapter predates any of the modern iDevices, so you won't get much compatibility with it. My suggestion is to upgrade the radio to aftermarket to really take advantage of modern technology, but barring that, just get a modern iDevice adapter that'll plug into the satellite connector in the trunk.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:42 PM
I have a 2006 G35 sedan 6mt with Bose stereo. I'm not sure if it is the base package or the premium package. No nav. Picture attached.

I'd like to be able to play music with high quality from my iPhone (I currently have an iPhone 6). I plan to stick with apple phones.
  • Being able to use the steering wheel controls to go to the next or previous song would be great, but if I ended up with only an auxiliary input I would be happy as long as the quality was high.
  • Being able to charge at the same time as playing music is highly desirable.
  • Being able to play music over bluetooth as well would be nice, but isn't necessary.
  • It isn't necessary to be able to view the song title from the radio interface.
  • I'm happy with the stock bluetooth as far as calls are concerned.
  • I don't want to upgrade the head unit if at all possible

Anyone have suggestions for which product to go with? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio-img_0076.jpg  
Old 10-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by pineapplejo
I have a 2006 G35 sedan 6mt with Bose stereo. I'm not sure if it is the base package or the premium package. No nav. Picture attached.

I'd like to be able to play music with high quality from my iPhone (I currently have an iPhone 6). I plan to stick with apple phones.
  • Being able to use the steering wheel controls to go to the next or previous song would be great, but if I ended up with only an auxiliary input I would be happy as long as the quality was high.
  • Being able to charge at the same time as playing music is highly desirable.
  • Being able to play music over bluetooth as well would be nice, but isn't necessary.
  • It isn't necessary to be able to view the song title from the radio interface.
  • I'm happy with the stock bluetooth as far as calls are concerned.
  • I don't want to upgrade the head unit if at all possible

Anyone have suggestions for which product to go with? Thanks
Bose is called the premium audio option.

With Apple swapping to the new plug since this list was compiled, you're going to have to double check compatibility with anything on this list.

I'm not sure if the iPhone can handle being connected to one device for bluetooth audio streaming and a second bluetooth device for phone calls, but since bluetooth is almost completely device-independent, it's great for future-proofing against phone upgrades. Just get whatever charger you want to plug into the phone so you don't run out of power.

Keep in mind that the headunits in our cars are extremely failure-prone, so while you may be ahead a little by doing an adapter now, that money's mostly thrown away if the headunit fails. I know you don't want to upgrade the headunit, but it'll give you everything you want for a larger upfront cost and you won't have to worry about the headunit failing.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:33 PM
Hi All!
Looking for some input. Just bought a 06 G35 Coupe yesterday. Fully loaded. I'm in desperate need of installing an aux cable. Ive read the options but have read mixed reviews. Im not really picky. Just really looking for an aux cable where I don't lose quality. I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks for better quality sound.
Below are the 4 that seem to have the better reviews. If anyone has personal experience with these products would love to hear it. I could really use your help. Thanks Guys! Much appreciated

iSimple ISNI571
iSimple IS77
iSimple IS32
Audiovox Driven by Dice MediaBridge AMBR-1503-NIS

Old 10-16-2016, 12:36 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by spanky27
Hi All!
Looking for some input. Just bought a 06 G35 Coupe yesterday. Fully loaded. I'm in desperate need of installing an aux cable. Ive read the options but have read mixed reviews. Im not really picky. Just really looking for an aux cable where I don't lose quality. I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks for better quality sound.
Below are the 4 that seem to have the better reviews. If anyone has personal experience with these products would love to hear it. I could really use your help. Thanks Guys! Much appreciated

iSimple ISNI571
iSimple IS77
iSimple IS32
Audiovox Driven by Dice MediaBridge AMBR-1503-NIS
IS32 and IS77 are going to noticeably lose quality, since they're FM modulators.

That leaves the ISNI571 that gives you control and aux input, and the mediabridge, which can be upgraded to include bluetooth and such. If you're not planning to use the more advanced upgrades of the mediabridge, I'd go with the ISNI571.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LZKS
Can someone at least confirm that I should be getting sound from the display I'm seeing?
If that's the case then I can definitively say that there's a discontinuity between the harness in the trunk to the headunit.
If you haven't got it working at all, I may have a solution. There are three buttons under the volume ****. Auto P, RPT, Scan. Start playing music full volume on your iPod with the aux plugged in and press these three buttons in the order "scan, auto p, RPT". The button order should be bottom, top, middle.

Your issue sounds like your radio isn't registered with Sirius/XM. You need to register the radio for them to send the activation signal to the car so it can correctly acquire the satellite. You may also get a free trial. On my radio I'm not actually activated so I get no audio from satteite but it does acquire and I do get a message saying "call 888""xxx-xxxx". Until I press the three buttons, there is no sound. When I press the buttons in that order, then the aux sound comes through.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:14 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for a cheap and easy solution for my 2005 coupe since my CD changer stopped working some weeks ago but radio and everything else still work fine.

I assume that I have the satelitte connector in the trunk. As I plan to sell the car within a few months anyway I don't want to install some complicated and expensive mount however but rather want to make it possible to listen to music in the easiest way possible.
I'm not necessarly looking for something I could connect an ipod. I just want to connect some stored mp3s and play them. If therefore somebody should know some device which could be connected to the satelitte connector which also just works with a USB stick this would be far sufficient for me. I moreover don't need/want to pull some cable from the trunk forward to the head-unit therefore it would also be sufficient to plug the USB stick or another device directly in the trunk. If the controls on the steering wheels are working it should be no problem to leave a USB stick or even an old iPod in the trunk but if this would mean that it won't be possible to skip tracks this would of course be no good idea.

Does somebody maybe know some device which would be a good solution in my case? If not I guess my only chance will be a FM transmitter. Are there some recommendations which transmitters provide the best quality? Are the ones listed within the thread the ones with best quality or does somebody maybe have another recommendation?

thanks in advance
Marc

Old 12-27-2016, 11:47 AM
I chose to do option B and spliced into the satellite tuner wiring. My car didn't come with a tuner, but I was able to get one from a friend's Murano and everything connected fine. After testing, I found that the head unit would only display "ANTENNA" to even receive the XM preview channel. I picked a cheap universal antenna from Ebay for $10.

Installation went smoothly. I did find that for the aux to play anything initially, the tuner needs to have reception. After it first receives reception though, it doesn't matter. I originally just tucked the antenna behind the rear seats with the satellite tuner, but I'll relocate it to the inside of the rear fender when I get time.

The only real issue now is the volume of the aux input. It's definitely serviceable, but I'd like more for sure. It seems to be about half compared to the CD and radio output. I've tried different devices and aux cords. Is this maybe a ground issue?

Old 12-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by marc0711
Hi,
I'm looking for a cheap and easy solution for my 2005 coupe since my CD changer stopped working some weeks ago but radio and everything else still work fine.

I assume that I have the satelitte connector in the trunk. As I plan to sell the car within a few months anyway I don't want to install some complicated and expensive mount however but rather want to make it possible to listen to music in the easiest way possible.
I'm not necessarly looking for something I could connect an ipod. I just want to connect some stored mp3s and play them. If therefore somebody should know some device which could be connected to the satelitte connector which also just works with a USB stick this would be far sufficient for me. I moreover don't need/want to pull some cable from the trunk forward to the head-unit therefore it would also be sufficient to plug the USB stick or another device directly in the trunk. If the controls on the steering wheels are working it should be no problem to leave a USB stick or even an old iPod in the trunk but if this would mean that it won't be possible to skip tracks this would of course be no good idea.

Does somebody maybe know some device which would be a good solution in my case? If not I guess my only chance will be a FM transmitter. Are there some recommendations which transmitters provide the best quality? Are the ones listed within the thread the ones with best quality or does somebody maybe have another recommendation?

thanks in advance
Marc
All FM transmitters are poor quality, you're using like fraction of a watt and competing with any FM broadcast tower near that frequency, don't even bother unless your speakers are from a 1981 Ford Ranger. Wired FM modulators are good, they'll give you a signal as good as sitting under the FM broadcast tower of your favorite station, since you're wired in and disabling the factory antenna whenever it's on. See the first post for wired FM modulator links.

For plugging a USB stick in, I think the GROM unit is your best option. It plugs into the back of the radio, but in an '05, you can follow my radio removal video in the DDIN install guide and have it installed in an hour or less (about 5min if I was around ) It's also expandable to support other inputs, so I'm sure you can try and use that as a selling point with the car.

But you're looking at $170-ish to do that, and you're still stuck with the failing factory radio. Spending $300 on a cheap radio and the metra install kit would get rid of the failing radio.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Hi,
first of all thanks for your great support.

Although it was mentioned several times that using an FM Transmitter is no good solution I bought one for just 10 bucks and used it so far.
As I will keep my car little longer (and won't sell it as planned) I however want to try the solution with the satellite harness in the back now. I checked today and as it seems my car has the harness. What I don't have is a sat button or any button beside just radio and CD on the front panel.
If I buy the PA15-INFI how could it be used means basically what happens as soon as I plug it to the harness in the trunk? If it is used instead of radio is there no more radio signal possible or how does this work? Due to the information on the front page the steering wheel controls work with the PA15, right? Means if I connect an iPod it will be possible to switch tracks directly with the steering wheel controls? Is there some kind of installation necessary for this or is everything just plug and play?
And last question: Is it possible to connect just a random USB stick or MP3 player (through USB) to the PA15 and are steering wheel controlls working as well in this case?

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it
Marcus

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio