Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Issues with new install in 05' Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Issues with new install in 05' Coupe

Ok, so I just got a Pioneer AVH-X2500BT installed in my coupe. Initially, I liked the features that I got, but as I began to push the unit to the limits, of course there is A LOT left to be wanted!

1) Firstly, I notice that when playing the radio, I can max out the volume and it is no where close to how loud it used to be with the Bose HU. This only happens for the radio, my IPOD is loud enough, but has "other issues" which we will get to. So, what can be causing this drop in volume?? I have gone through several posts and read about the antenna installation issue, but could this be due to the same?

2) Now, on to the overall sound. Man, does it sound like crap! Going through all of these forums, I guess once you remove the Bose HU, the internal amp that it has to power the speakers goes with it...am I somewhat correct on that?

So, now I definitely want better sound but where should I start? I like Wrathernaut's comparison betweenthe JL Stealthbox and Wicked C.A.S. and have decided to go with the latter, but what else? Upgrade the fronts, disable the rear 6x9s...what about the ones by the back seats?? And to power all this what kind of an amp should I be looking at.

And of course, Im not that dude on the motorcycle with money flying all over the place, so I would like to keep this project as reasonable as possible.

Please help!! Thanks everyone.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 PM
I also need to check if they installed the PAC ROEMNIS2 Interface...perhaps thats the whole issue.

But if they did use it...and I still want to upgrade the speakers and add a sub, does the Interface unit need to be uninstalled??

Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by HitmanAD
I also need to check if they installed the PAC ROEMNIS2 Interface...perhaps thats the whole issue.

But if they did use it...and I still want to upgrade the speakers and add a sub, does the Interface unit need to be uninstalled??
No, you won't need to remove the ROEM-NIS2, but you may want to run new RCAs from the headunit to the trunk instead of the signal going through it.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Perfect Thanks!

Update: It turns out that the installers DID NOT use the ROEM - NIS2!! They used the 70-7551. When I told them I wanted the ROEM - NIS2 installed, which I have purchased on my own, they said it would be the "dumbest" idea since its not even made for my car! I kept persistent and he ended up calling PAC. While on speakerphone, he asked the rep if this part can be used on this vehicle and if was a good idea. Luckily, the rep was a G35 owner himself and set my installer straight! He said it makes the world of a difference and it is the only way to go if you replace the HU and keep the stock speakers. He said that this unit can and has successfuly been used on numerous cars that aren't listed on the website. So guys, don't let the audio shops sway you away from getting this installed.

Well, my part arrives Friday and then they will install it. I can't wait!!

Again, a big THANKS to Wrathernaut, for all the helpful write ups and replies! You da man!!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Perfect Thanks!

Update: It turns out that the installers DID NOT use the ROEM - NIS2!! They used the 70-7551. When I told them I wanted the ROEM - NIS2 installed, which I have purchased on my own, they said it would be the "dumbest" idea since its not even made for my car! I kept persistent and he ended up calling PAC. While on speakerphone, he asked the rep if this part can be used on this vehicle and if was a good idea. Luckily, the rep was a G35 owner himself and set my installer straight! He said it makes the world of a difference and it is the only way to go if you replace the HU and keep the stock speakers. He said that this unit can and has successfuly been used on numerous cars that aren't listed on the website. So guys, don't let the audio shops sway you away from getting this installed.

Well, my part arrives Friday and then they will install it. I can't wait!!

Again, a big THANKS to Wrathernaut, for all the helpful write ups and replies! You da man!!
While they're behind the radio, I'd highly recommend having them attach the RCAs you want to run to the trunk. You'll want the ROEM connected to the speaker-level output of the radio anyway.

Also, I"ll give a shout-out to that rep, if he watches this board.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Wrathernaut;6755265]While they're behind the radio, I'd highly recommend having them attach the RCAs you want to run to the trunk. You'll want the ROEM connected to the speaker-level output of the radio anyway.

Wrathernaut, what do you mean when you say connect the ROEM to the speaker-level output?? Are there different configurations when installing this device?

Excellent idea of having the RCAs run to the trunk!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
While they're behind the radio, I'd highly recommend having them attach the RCAs you want to run to the trunk. You'll want the ROEM connected to the speaker-level output of the radio anyway.
Wrathernaut, what do you mean when you say connect the ROEM to the speaker-level output?? Are there different configurations when installing this device?

Excellent idea of having the RCAs run to the trunk!
The ROEM can be connected to low or high-level outputs, the high-level outputs have had better results in the G35, which leaves the low level (RCA) outputs to connect to the RCAs which you can run to the trunk, or at least into the dead space in the center console to run to the trunk later.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The ROEM can be connected to low or high-level outputs, the high-level outputs have had better results in the G35, which leaves the low level (RCA) outputs to connect to the RCAs which you can run to the trunk, or at least into the dead space in the center console to run to the trunk later.
Ok, to sum it all up:

1) Connect the PAC ROEM-NIS2 to the high-level outputs, and tape off the low-level leads.

2) Run the RCAs from the HU itself to the trunk for possible future Sub install

3) Also, while we're here, check to make sure Blue Power Antenna wire and Red Accessory Power wire are connected together.

(Pulled from Wrathernaut's excellent DIY Guide)

One more question. What will using just the high-level outputs and leaving the low-level outputs alone sound like?? Will this mean I will lose the low frequencies? Meaning not have the bass until I install an amp and sub?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

No, you will not lose frequencies - low/high-level refers to it being high-level (powerful enough to drive a speaker) or low-level (audio-signal only which requires amplification to run a speaker).

Old 05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Wrathernaut, would you recommend to have all of the RCAs possible to be run at the same time? Perhaps in the future I can also add another 4-channel amp for newer speakers in the fronts and rear panels. Or do you think I can just get by maybe switching out what I have currently hooked up to the Bose amp. Are there any decent upgrades for the stock amp that you can recommend? And, I have made up mind to eventually add a sub, disabling the rear deck 6x9s.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yes, run all 6 channels, and one for the rearview camera, it's a few dollars worth of RCAs and only a slight increase in labor, since all the panels will be off anyway.

I recommend a front soundstage - 2.1 channels. Front speakers and a sub, but it doesn't hurt to have those RCAs run for if you want to do some rear speakers at some point.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 AM
When I am ready to change the stock amp, can I just follow the thread "replacing speakers with stock HU", since I have a new HU and am using the ROEM-NIS2 to accommodate for the balanced signals?? Thus buying an amp that will do the same? Or do I HAVE to rewire the NIS2 no matter what?

Last edited by HitmanAD; 05-24-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added a question
Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

If you replace the stock amp, you don't need the ROEM-NIS2.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Hitman,

Did you get the PAC ROEM-NIS2 installed? How did it come out?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by jpg98
Hitman,

Did you get the PAC ROEM-NIS2 installed? How did it come out?
Yes! I had it installed a few days ago and it makes a world of a difference!! Sounds just like it was with the original Bose HU, perhaps a bit crisper, maybe due to the new HU. I printed out the wiring scheme diagram from Wrathernaut's double-din shopping list for the ROEM-NIS2, handed it to the installers, and told them to do exactly what is says! LOL, they themselves agreed that everything sounded waaay better. And again, taking Wrathernaut's advice, At the same time I had them run the 3 pairs of RCA's and the power for bigger and better things in the future! But for now, Im enjoying everything the way it is.

Again, huge kudos to Wrathernaut for the guidance! Couldn't have done it without you bro!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Issues with new install in 05' Coupe