Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bluetooth muffled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
One thing about that placement that I don't like, is if you flip the visor down, you're severely going to muffle your microphone. I went for the middle by the sunroof controls.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
One thing about that placement that I don't like, is if you flip the visor down, you're severely going to muffle your microphone. I went for the middle by the sunroof controls.
I rarely use the visor while driving so I didn't worry about this, but agree it could be an issue. I haven't tried it yet.

Just curious, why did you run your mic wire toward the rear view mirror? It looks like you tucked it under the spot lamp console so I would think you could have gone straight to the bluetooth module from there and eliminated some of the wire visibility.

Are you using the same Garmin mic? It looks slightly different. Also, did you remove the spot lamp as the FSM states or access it some other way?

Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
You've inspired me to finally try to fix this problem. Wife was just complaining I was cutting out this week.
I think it's worth doing and hopefully I saved you some trouble trying to remove the spot lamp. Bluetooth is a nice feature when it works. I guess Infiniti fixed this on newer models? My parents '06 M35 is horrible, but my sister said she hasn't had any complaints in her '14 Q50.

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Thanks AZ G!
You're welcome. Happy to be able to contribute.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ_G
I think it's worth doing and hopefully I saved you some trouble trying to remove the spot lamp. Bluetooth is a nice feature when it works. I guess Infiniti fixed this on newer models? My parents '06 M35 is horrible, but my sister said she hasn't had any complaints in her '14 Q50.
The tech service bulletin I referenced in post #8 actually applies to the 06-07 M. They could've had it fixed under warranty.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ_G
I rarely use the visor while driving so I didn't worry about this, but agree it could be an issue. I haven't tried it yet.

Just curious, why did you run your mic wire toward the rear view mirror? It looks like you tucked it under the spot lamp console so I would think you could have gone straight to the bluetooth module from there and eliminated some of the wire visibility.

Are you using the same Garmin mic? It looks slightly different. Also, did you remove the spot lamp as the FSM states or access it some other way?
I used that location since it put a little distance (and deadening) between the microphone and the exterior of the car, and the center of the car lets both myself and the passenger be heard for both calls and for voice control of the headunit (Pioneer Z120BT) for navigation and selecting music.

I didn't have factory bluetooth, and really didn't want to risk breaking the tabs holding in the sunglasses holder/lights/sunroof controls panel, so I ran it that way instead. Nothing was removed, just tucked under the edge of the panel.

The mic is the Garmin 010-10804-000.