Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bluetooth muffled?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth muffled?

Hi guys, just bought 07 g35 and after setting up the bluetooth my buddy said he couldn't hear me well at all and I was basically screaming. Anything you can do or is that really just how it is? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Received 971 Likes on 568 Posts
The stock bluetooth microphone sucks. You can replace the microphone by splicing something else in, like the Garmin 010-10804-00 external microphone.

The following users liked this post:
LoSt180 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know, is that hard to do? Any other posts about this problem? Thanks!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Premier Member
Received 419 Likes on 344 Posts
Yeah, basically sounds like I'm muffled and if I get on the interstate the other party might complain about wind noise, even with sunroof & shade closed, windows rolled up.

I wasn't sure if anything aftermarket would fit in the stock location, or if an aftermarket microphone clipped to the visor would help at all. Wrathernaut, do you know if there's a write up on splicing in a microphone? I know you typically advise to get rid of all OEM stereo components though, lol.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 807 Likes on 758 Posts
The answer to a thread that used to have a dead end.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-question.html

Last edited by Urbanengineer; 08-18-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut View Post
The stock bluetooth microphone sucks. You can replace the microphone by splicing something else in, like the Garmin 010-10804-00 external microphone.
Have you personally done this or been able to confirm that it fixes the clarity of the bluetooth? I get complains from people saying my voice cuts out so I've stopped using the bluetooth. I'd like to fix it if possible.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut View Post
I haven't read anything confirming if this fixes the issue, but I'm going to give it a try. I just bought the Garmin 010-10804-00 so I'll report back once I get it installed. I looked at the area where the microphone is located and it looks like I just need to pry it out of the headliner. Can anyone confirm if this is how it is removed?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Premier Member
Originally Posted by AZ_G View Post
I haven't read anything confirming if this fixes the issue, but I'm going to give it a try. I just bought the Garmin 010-10804-00 so I'll report back once I get it installed. I looked at the area where the microphone is located and it looks like I just need to pry it out of the headliner. Can anyone confirm if this is how it is removed?
Yes it pries out. The FSM states to remove the spot lamp in order to unplug it. Probably don't need to do that if you're just splicing in a different mic.

The M actually got a TSB for poor BT sound quality that involved relocating the microphone. The new mic looks a lot like that Garmin unit, so I'm thinking it could be mounted in the mic cover and installed in the headliner.

The cover is part # 73972-EJ20E and Grubbs quoted me at $6.62. That was as far as I got though.

Reference info: TSB# ITB07-036b Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ITB07-036b.pdf

Pic:

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth muffled?-m-microphone-cover.png  
The following users liked this post:
AZ_G (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 04:44 PM
^^^ That's good info, thanks. I'm going to play around with the mic location and see what results I get before finalizing the install location. I read reviews on Amazon before purchasing the mic and one user said he mounted it on the drivers sun visor and it was too close. Moving it to the passenger side was better. If I end up moving it out of it's current location, the mic cover will be a nice way to keep the factory look.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:59 PM
The new mic has arrived but I had family in town last weekend and this coming weekend so it will be a little longer until I install it. I'll post results once it's done.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:12 PM
I finally got around to working on this project. The short answer is that simply replacing the OEM microphone with the Garmin 010-10804-00 does not solve the problem. The microphone location is key. I'm experimenting with different locations trying to determine where I should permanently mount it.

One important item to note for anyone else who attempts this is that the FSM is incorrect for my vehicle. My spot lamp is not intended to be removed by prying it out. There are no pawl fittings as the FSM indicated. I learned this the hard way as I made minor dents in the edge of the plastic of the spot lamp and also smashed portions of the head liner. I'm not happy about this, but I'm hopeful that I will be able to repair things pretty well once I get this project finished. In addition, the clip to remove the bluetooth module was not located behind the spot lamp. The way I ended up accessing it was to open the sunroof and remove the gasket that holds the headliner and sheet metal together. After doing this I was able to pull the headliner away from the sheet metal enough to get my hands on the connecter and disconnect it. You don't need to touch the spot lamp at all this way.

Once I disconnected the bluetooth module I then disassembled it and was able to access the microphone. It is connected to the PCB with a tiny clip. I disconnected the clip and then cut it off of the OEM mic. There is only about 1 inch of wire between the clip and mic so I cut it about half way leaving enough room on either side should I need to reconnect the OEM mic. I then wired the OEM clip onto the new Garmin microphone making sure to leave plenty of extra length on the mic wire so I could experiment with different locations in the cabin. The next step was to plug the mic back into the PCB. I didn't put all of the plastic housing back around the PCB because I'm going to have to trim the mic wire once I determine the final location. So for now I've just plugged the module back into the vehicle and the PCB and mic wire are hanging out of the opening in the headliner while I experiment with mic locations.

The closer I can get the mic to my mouth seems to make the most improvement so I think I'm going to place it right behind the sun visor where the windshield and headliner meet. This will put it pretty much in the direct path of my voice and allow me to keep the mic mostly out of sight. I think I should be able to route the mic wire under the headliner and to the bluetooth module without much trouble. We'll see once I get to that point.

So far I have had two conversations with my wife with the mic near the sun visor. She said my voice does not cut out frequently like it used to. She said the quality is about 8/10. Previously she would always tell me that my voice was cutting out and I would get so tired of repeating myself that we could not even have a conversation. So this mod should at least make the bluetooth useable now.

The following 2 users liked this post by AZ_G:
LoSt180 (06-12-2014), Wrathernaut (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Received 971 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ_G View Post
I finally got around to working on this project. The short answer is that simply replacing the OEM microphone with the Garmin 010-10804-00 does not solve the problem. The microphone location is key. I'm experimenting with different locations trying to determine where I should permanently mount it.

One important item to note for anyone else who attempts this is that the FSM is incorrect for my vehicle. My spot lamp is not intended to be removed by prying it out. There are no pawl fittings as the FSM indicated. I learned this the hard way as I made minor dents in the edge of the plastic of the spot lamp and also smashed portions of the head liner. I'm not happy about this, but I'm hopeful that I will be able to repair things pretty well once I get this project finished. In addition, the clip to remove the bluetooth module was not located behind the spot lamp. The way I ended up accessing it was to open the sunroof and remove the gasket that holds the headliner and sheet metal together. After doing this I was able to pull the headliner away from the sheet metal enough to get my hands on the connecter and disconnect it. You don't need to touch the spot lamp at all this way.

Once I disconnected the bluetooth module I then disassembled it and was able to access the microphone. It is connected to the PCB with a tiny clip. I disconnected the clip and then cut it off of the OEM mic. There is only about 1 inch of wire between the clip and mic so I cut it about half way leaving enough room on either side should I need to reconnect the OEM mic. I then wired the OEM clip onto the new Garmin microphone making sure to leave plenty of extra length on the mic wire so I could experiment with different locations in the cabin. The next step was to plug the mic back into the PCB. I didn't put all of the plastic housing back around the PCB because I'm going to have to trim the mic wire once I determine the final location. So for now I've just plugged the module back into the vehicle and the PCB and mic wire are hanging out of the opening in the headliner while I experiment with mic locations.

The closer I can get the mic to my mouth seems to make the most improvement so I think I'm going to place it right behind the sun visor where the windshield and headliner meet. This will put it pretty much in the direct path of my voice and allow me to keep the mic mostly out of sight. I think I should be able to route the mic wire under the headliner and to the bluetooth module without much trouble. We'll see once I get to that point.

So far I have had two conversations with my wife with the mic near the sun visor. She said my voice does not cut out frequently like it used to. She said the quality is about 8/10. Previously she would always tell me that my voice was cutting out and I would get so tired of repeating myself that we could not even have a conversation. So this mod should at least make the bluetooth useable now.
One day I'd like to hook a microphone up to a sound level meter to sound the place that has the lowest wind noise. I tried mounting the mic in front of the gauges, but every time you turn the wheel, they occlude the microphone and make you go real quiet. I settled on what is essentially the factory location, only on the outside of the headliner instead of behind it, so you get a little more distance from the wind noise on the front windscreen.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:13 PM
I was able to get everything put back together this past weekend. I ended up mounting the mic just behind the sun visor. This position provided the best audio quality of the places I tried. It is far enough back that I can still fold the sun visor down without hitting the mic. Here are pics of the placement.

Name:  20140702_153431_zpsea8796dd.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  55.8 KB

Here is the PCB that the mic plugs into. You can see where I spliced in my new mic to the existing connector.

Name:  20140702_153731_zpsfb4b1964.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  64.7 KB

When I put the casing back around the PCB I notched out the plastic so there would not be any pressure on the mic wire.

Name:  20140702_165111_zps1ab6d993.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  64.6 KB

Running the mic wire under the headliner wasn't too difficult. You can't see much of the wire in this pic, but I started it by running the connector under the headliner at the windshield. I was able to push a decent portion of the wire toward the opening and then used a bent hanger to fish the wire out.

Name:  20140702_153450_zpsf3340c20.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  92.6 KB

After using the new mic for several weeks I haven't had anyone complain about not being able to understand me or that my voice is cutting out. Thanks for the input provided in this thread.

The following 3 users liked this post by AZ_G:
herrschaft (07-09-2014), LoSt180 (07-09-2014), Wrathernaut (07-08-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Premier Member
You've inspired me to finally try to fix this problem. Wife was just complaining I was cutting out this week.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 807 Likes on 758 Posts
Thanks AZ G!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth muffled?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: