Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Hey guys new to the g but quick question about gps??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys new to the g but quick question about gps??

(I apologise ahead of time if this has been answeredin another post) My car was lacking the gps unit but came equipped with a fancy factory radio that only played sound from right side passenger speaker lol. So I replaced the radio with an
in dash double din dvd player/radio. Now here's my question does the gps require the use of the factory radio. I do know that in some cases the use of a cd is required in conjunction with factory radio in order for gps to function at all is this the case???? I hve nothing to experiment with so I fig. I'd ask. I'm wanting to experiment with modding the gps system for a secondary monitor

Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
the OEM GPS uses a dvd player in the upper glove box, at least in the first and second gen cars.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
I really dont get what you are asking. Yes the oem navi is in the passenger cubby and requires a disk. But you installed an aftermarket double din unit and you want to get the factory nav, that you do not have, to work with it? Why not just get a double din with nav built in?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I really dont get what you are asking. Yes the oem navi is in the passenger cubby and requires a disk. But you installed an aftermarket double din unit and you want to get the factory nav, that you do not have, to work with it? Why not just get a double din with nav built in?
Was wondering if you were required to hve the factory radio in order to use the nav. Or if you could still use the pop up nav. With aftermarket double din or will it not fit

Old 11-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Yes many that have oem nav keep it with minor mods after a double din install. There are many DIY threads here on exactly how. I suggest trying to search function next time.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Yes many that have oem nav keep it with minor mods after a double din install. There are many DIY threads here on exactly how. I suggest trying to search function next time.
Cool thnks yeah i would've done so but my cell wasn't letting me search for some reason an kept giving an error message.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by deathdoakill
Was wondering if you were required to hve the factory radio in order to use the nav. Or if you could still use the pop up nav. With aftermarket double din or will it not fit
You need the factory radio or some creative relay wiring to get the factory nav voice, otherwise it doesn't need the factory radio at all.

Also, if you're thinking of adding the factory nav just for a second screen. Huge mistake.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You need the factory radio or some creative relay wiring to get the factory nav voice, otherwise it doesn't need the factory radio at all.

Also, if you're thinking of adding the factory nav just for a second screen. Huge mistake.
No wanted to just throw the factory nav back in the vehicle instead of always using my phone. a buddy of mine said he would sell me his for 30 dollars but he's not in town till later this week and I didn't know if it was possible to still use it. I was considering doing the gps hack/mod as well just because I can so I might do that as well.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Good luck installing the wiring harness. I wouldn't do the work to install it in my car if somebody paid me $300 to do it, and I do this kind of thing for fun.

Your friend will also have to remove his dash to get the old harness out, good luck on convincing him to do that. Or you'll have to pay a ton for the harness from the dealership. Much more expensive and FARRRRRRR inferior to a $100 garmin.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Good luck installing the wiring harness. I wouldn't do the work to install it in my car if somebody paid me $300 to do it, and I do this kind of thing for fun.

Your friend will also have to remove his dash to get the old harness out, good luck on convincing him to do that. Or you'll have to pay a ton for the harness from the dealership. Much more expensive and FARRRRRRR inferior to a $100 garmin.

Ahh ok cool that actually helps allot maybe not lol but if I'm bored maybe ;p