Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

subwoofer direction (two infinity kappa perfect 10.1 subwoofers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subwoofer direction (two infinity kappa perfect 10.1 subwoofers

im going to be building a custom box for two 10" woofers, my car is a 04 sedan and i would like to get some really clean sound. im debating on building custom boxes that mount on each side of the rear like the 4080 boxes did, im also considering mounting them facing forward with about 4" of room between the subwoofer box and the back seats, sealing all the cracks and cranny's that would allow air to get behind the box, this would force the sound wave through the ski "boot" hole my concern is that by forcing the air through that hole it would act like a bandpass box and would make the car more boomy and less accurate.

my previous car was a 02 nissan maxima and i removed the entire rear deck and mounted the subs inside the rear deck (two 12" american bass VFL subwoofers)

i just want the sound to be nice and clean without sacrificing SPL or SQ if i dont have to, typically facing them forward makes less of a sound wave for the bass, but most people dont seal off the box so the wave can ONLY travel forward.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

matthew

Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Well, you're also going to be sending a fair amount of that bass to the trunk unless you seal it to the cabin. A single 10" in the 4080 can produce all the bass you want inside the vehicle, if you're trying to produce bass outside the vehicle, you can go with more.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 PM
i can tell you now, i would never be happy with just a single 10" woofer (my wife's vibe has a single diamond audio CM3 10" woofer in the rear side that i built a custom fiberglass box for, it sounds great but isnt "enough" for me.

has anyone on this board actually rear deck mounted a pair of 10's? is it possible with keeping the rear seat belts? on my maxima i had to remove the factory sub, all the car seat latches (dont care about those anyway) and i had to remove the center seat belt part from the deck, i replaced it with a mid 90's crown vic lap belt for the center seat, i really dont want to do that, but deck/cabin mounted subs always have the best sound quality. im going to remove alot of the rear deck stuff on my car soon and see if its possible, otherwise i guess ill mount both 10's in the rear sides of the car so i can optimize the trunk space, i also got two pair of infinity 62.1i two way 6.5" setups to replace the door speakers, im going to be removing the factory bose amp also and replacing it with an american bass 40x4 RMS amp, or a sony mobile ES 3046 amp (30x4 RMS 1 ohm stable sound quality amp) the subs will be driven by an american bass xd-1800 amp (1800 watts peak monoblock amp)

Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by macantley
i can tell you now, i would never be happy with just a single 10" woofer (my wife's vibe has a single diamond audio CM3 10" woofer in the rear side that i built a custom fiberglass box for, it sounds great but isnt "enough" for me.

has anyone on this board actually rear deck mounted a pair of 10's? is it possible with keeping the rear seat belts? on my maxima i had to remove the factory sub, all the car seat latches (dont care about those anyway) and i had to remove the center seat belt part from the deck, i replaced it with a mid 90's crown vic lap belt for the center seat, i really dont want to do that, but deck/cabin mounted subs always have the best sound quality. im going to remove alot of the rear deck stuff on my car soon and see if its possible, otherwise i guess ill mount both 10's in the rear sides of the car so i can optimize the trunk space, i also got two pair of infinity 62.1i two way 6.5" setups to replace the door speakers, im going to be removing the factory bose amp also and replacing it with an american bass 40x4 RMS amp, or a sony mobile ES 3046 amp (30x4 RMS 1 ohm stable sound quality amp) the subs will be driven by an american bass xd-1800 amp (1800 watts peak monoblock amp)
Our cars are sealed a bit better than a pontiac, so sound deadening and a 10" goes a long way.

Unless you reinforce the deck, I wouldn't try to put any sub on it, it's pretty flimsy.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM
actually, if it goes in the deck, ill be cutting out the metal in the area i need, and building a box that goes up through the hole.

here's a photo of the maxima i built with two twelves in the rear deck.

Name:  2012-12-20_20-13-33_48.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  71.3 KB

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by macantley
actually, if it goes in the deck, ill be cutting out the metal in the area i need, and building a box that goes up through the hole.

here's a photo of the maxima i built with two twelves in the rear deck.

Looks good!

I'd want some dark tint on that window. I hate advertising what's installed in my car. Trust no one.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM
ok, i replaced all four door speakers today with infinity 62.1i 2 way speakers, they are still being driven by the stock bose amp and headunit (headunit will probably be the last thing i replace due to cost of the install kit) Im still going to build some kick panels and try to fit something in them, probably 4"-6.5" speakers, i really miss my q-logic kick forms that i had in the maxima, i really miss the sound in that car all together, i expected more options in the infiniti, but was disappointed.

anyway, back on topic, i removed the rear seats and removed the rear deck cover, *IF* i cut out some of the metal im still not sure id be able to fit a 10" woofer in that area, im also going to have to figure out a third brake light of some sort. my other option is to remove *Part* of the X brace thats behind the back seats, the only thing that actually bolts to it is the center console piece, i can leave that part there, and build the box so that the woofers fire up behind the rear seats, the seats would no longer recline though, i would make them sit at their forward position (which is where they are 99% of the time anyway) id prefer not to do this, but i will if i must, the BEST option i can think of is to remove the center seat belt all together, cut the metal out of that area about 24" across the center of the rear deck, by approx 8-9" and build a box that is angled and fire the subs straight at the rear glass like i did in the maxima, i will be using two infinity kappa perfect 10's I would replace the center seat belt with a lap belt like i did in the maxima, i know its not as safe as a real over the shoulder belt, but a lap belt is better than nothing.

i realize also that once you cut out the rear deck, something ALWAYS has to fill that area, i sold my maxima with two of my clarion 8" woofers mounted in the rear deck using 2Cubic foot of airspace and they sounded fantastic for a pair of 8" woofers (single 2 ohm voice coils too, some kind of oddball woofers)

there are so many different ways id like to go i just cant make a good decision, i think its going to come down to just doing something and sticking with it i suppose.

matthew

Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Typically i prefer cutting out the rear deck of a car and mounting the subwoofers in the rear deck so the bass is reflected off the back glass and all the sound is kept in the cabin for sound quality purposes, i really dislike having the subs fire into the trunk, i really dont want to if i dont have to, so im trying to come up with a good box design for my 2004 infiniti G35 sedan but the largest i can cut on the rear deck is approx 31.25" wide by 6.25" front to back without doing any structural damage.

my old car i was able to mount two american bass VFL 12's in the rear deck, however that doesnt seem possible with the new car so i came up with this design that im curious about the subs im using are infinity kappa Perfect 10.1 subs, i can run them in .6 CF sealed, or i can slot port the box and run them approx. 1.5 CF per sub slot ported, i dont mind running the subs either way, sealed is easier, but slot ported will produce a "fuller" sound However im not sure if this box design will even work, i dont want it to sound like a band pass box, but i think with a port approx 30" by 5" (after factoring in wood dimensions) anyway here is box design #1 , please let me know if this even looks like it would sound fine.

Name:  G35trunk_zps8ccf0fce.png
Views: 971
Size:  7.9 KB

here is design #2 , my only concern is the subs reflecting off the wooden wall would produce poor sound waves, please let me know if this will work.

Name:  G35trunk_zpse1592099.png
Views: 971
Size:  7.5 KB

and i realize that design #2 will not permit a ported enclosure, but design #1 will probably not be ported either.

please give me some suggestions as to how i can do this, keep in mind that the LARGEST opening i can make is 30" x 5" in the rear deck after factoring in the dimensions of the MDF

matthew

Old 11-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Instead of the rear deck, put them on a baffle behind the seat

IE

Old 11-09-2013, 06:39 PM
your car appears to be a coupe, mines a sedan, the back seats dont fold down, they are SUPER insulated between the metal bracing behind the rear seats and the trunk, i think ive come to the conclusion that a box facing rearwards like 99% of the population does is just going to have to be what i do, i hate being a sheep, but i guess in this case im going to have to be.

today i replaced the factory bose amp with a sony mobile ES 3046 amp, night and day difference in sound even using the factory head unit.

matthew

Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 PM
That's an accord sedan

And, It's actually been done in the g35 sedan already. It's a little more work than just tossing a box in, but SQ is amazing.
subwoofer direction (two infinity kappa perfect 10.1 subwoofers-zc6covt.jpg
subwoofer direction (two infinity kappa perfect 10.1 subwoofers-spepnd1.jpg

Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 PM
That's an accord sedan

And, It's been done in the g35 sedan already.
subwoofer direction (two infinity kappa perfect 10.1 subwoofers-zc6covt.jpg
subwoofer direction (two infinity kappa perfect 10.1 subwoofers-spepnd1.jpg

Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 PM
got pictures of what that looked like in the front? HMMMM more decisions!!! Id still end up building some form of box behind the subs, but i like the idea of forward mounting them, are they using the small area behind the rear seats to channel the bass up? when my rear seats are in the most forward position there is a nice 3-4" gap all around.

matthew

Old 11-09-2013, 07:21 PM
I'd have to search for those.

That's the hybrid audio g35. IIRC, those were fi car audio ib3 18's. http://store.ficaraudio.com/ib3-series/

You can mount them whichever which way you'd like.

Ideally, you'd want the most cone area can you fit. 2 can work well, though. In that setup, they fire right through the ski hole.

All you have to do is build a baffle to the shape of the seat back, make sure the front wave and rear wave are separated from one another.

This video gets into a little more detail