Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple DRL FREE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Simple DRL FREE

Guys, i have yet to try this, but if i get enough positive feedback i will be willing to rip everything apart and do it.

Basically heres the way it works. The "optical sensor" on top of the dash is simply a switch in the way that I understand it if it is lit up (by the sun) it puts out 3-5v and the BCM keeps the lights off. However when it gets dark, this circuit is broken and the lights remain on. Regardless, it would be a simple procedure with a multimeter to figure out how this photosensor works and just install a switch to it. That way you could fake the car into thinking its "dark" all the time. The lights would still go off automatically when you park and shut the car off. The switch would only be to turn off the DRL if you did not want them on. Then depending on how it is wired up, automatic headlights with DRL off may or may not work. I will look into it. What do you guys think?

I am good with a multimeter and could figure this out in an afternoon, i just don't want to waste my time if someone knows this won't work, or if no one wants the low beem drl. Let me know! The reason i said this install is "FREE" is because I'm sure most of you have a switch laying around with some wire. If not sorry you'll have to spend 50 cents.

Looking forward to the input guys! Thanks!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
i got 50 cents right here...

the best would be if you can figure out who to have the city/parking lights on as the DRL..

Old 09-30-2014, 02:53 PM
joedaddy1 I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. Why would you want the parking lights on while you drive? Wouldnt that make them not parking lights?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by ya_boy_ant
joedaddy1 I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. Why would you want the parking lights on while you drive? Wouldnt that make them not parking lights?
i meant the city lights.. the super small bulb in the highbeam/foglight housing.

just having that turn on automatically when I turn on the car would be very nice.

Also, what you are trying to accomplish, I wouldn't want my HID's on all the time, it'll probably burn it out faster.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 09-30-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:18 PM
joedaddy1 that is what I was thinking! But this is why I post, to get input. So you think that would be bad for the lights? And I honestly didn't even know we had city lights ...

Old 10-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
people out there actually want drls?

Old 10-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
people out there actually want drls?
i personally don't like DRLs..
but around here in the Northeast, I think it's useful.. maybe not in the cities, but there are lots of rural suburban street where some kind of light during dusk would be better than nothing.

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
I rock parking lights and or fogs during dusk. I'm rice

Old 10-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
There's a pretty good collection of studies here: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/...11/TRS1009.pdf

A conclusion from one of them:
1. A total of 41 studies that have evaluated the effects on road safety of DRL, have been retrieved. 25 of these studies have evaluated the effects for cars, 16 have evaluated the effects for motorcycles. A distinction is made between estimates of the intrinsic effects of DRL and estimates of the aggregate effects. Intrinsic effects are the effects for each car or motorcycle using DRL. Aggregate effects are the effects of an increased rate of use of DRL in a country, brought about, for example, by a law making the use of DRL mandatory.
2. The use of DRL reduces the number of multi-party daytime accidents for cars by about 5-15%. All studies that have eval uated the effects of using DRL for cars have found a reduction of the number of accidents, but the size of the estimated reduction varies from study to study.
So, I run my lights all the time, 5-15% less chance of an accident is good enough for me.