Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DD Install Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DD Install Suggestions

Decided to bite the bullet and do the install myself. Looking for some advice:

Where are people putting the USB cable for Android Auto? I was thinking having it come out inside the console between the seats.

Bluetooth mic. Into existing spot on headliner/window? Or on the side pillar? Or?
Backup camera wiring. Thread with electrical snake from trunk, under carpet, through console to back of deck?

Any best practice suggested?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Old 03-15-2018, 05:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
For my mic I had my wife probe around with a sound meter while I was driving at both city and highway speeds, with windows up and with windows down and I found the least noisy place for background noise and wind is right in front of the compass on my 2006 coupe.

Granted I haven't actually bought a new DD and the one the previous owner installed didn't get the handsfree calling kit installed so I don't know how it would actually work...

Old 03-15-2018, 09:55 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Check out my build thread. I installed a USB adapter in the center console.

As for pulling wires through, I just routed everything through the left side of the car. Just remove the panels and pull it through. The only thing Im gonna route on the right side is the power cable for my amps, because the battery is on that side...its just easier.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:00 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Another benefit from running the power cable on the other side of the car is it will prevent any possible interference in the system that will cause humming and noise through the speakers. Ask me how I know.....

Old 03-22-2018, 02:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm waiting for the next model lineup to come out with wireless android auto/car play.. Alpine had a wireless version last year, but went wired this year. Reason why I am waiting for wireless is because the radio's USB won't charge the radio nearly as fast as the fast chargers... I work at best buy, and honestly tell some customers if it's not something they HAVE to change, then maybe wait a little bit.. Unless they prove the wired is better for performace, speed, etc..

Old 03-23-2018, 12:06 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by 04Joe
I'm waiting for the next model lineup to come out with wireless android auto/car play.. Alpine had a wireless version last year, but went wired this year. Reason why I am waiting for wireless is because the radio's USB won't charge the radio nearly as fast as the fast chargers... I work at best buy, and honestly tell some customers if it's not something they HAVE to change, then maybe wait a little bit.. Unless they prove the wired is better for performace, speed, etc..
Wired just makes more sense right now. Until they can put a wireless charging system where I can leave the phone in my pocket and have it charging while doing all the android auto functions, I'm fine with having it fast charge while I'm using it.