Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Electrical Issues after hitting a deep puddle...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 G35 Coupe loaded but bone stock!
Ok so first let me say - getting those wires back into the harness is a total PITA. But I got it done.

The good news is, everything seems to be good! First the car didnt start but after pressing the wires in a little harder it started right up.

Only problem now, I have no power steering for some reason, I'm guessing the wire controlling it is loose in the harness.

Do you happen to know which wire it is Cleric?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Pin 29 is empty on mine, 06 5AT.
thanks to you too man

Old 03-31-2020, 08:23 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The power steering is an entirely mechanical system and doesn't go through the IPDM. The only electronic component is the power steering pressure switch which increases rpm as the load on the pump is increased, this keeps the rpm's from plummeting and stalling the car.

I'm pretty damned sure the water you got all over the underside has corroded something on the power steering system, the usual culprit is a little U-joint between the firewall and the rack&pinion. Go to town with a can of WD-40 on that u-joint and it'll probably loosen right up again.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Also, since your IPDM was fully saturated you should probably take a bag and put over it to prevent this from happening in the future since you obviously live somewhere where it can rain enough to exceed what the car can move (your cowl drain looked fine). I've never actually done it but it's something I've considered suggesting to folks, I don't know what would work best, it needs to be a thicker plastic, maybe something like a 1 gallon ziploc bag and some electrical tape. Leave the bottom exposed somewhat so it doesn't get too much moisture trapped INSIDE the bag which will eventually wreak havoc on the thing as moisture gets inside again.

Basically just covering the top and sides with plastic but leaving the bottom exposed.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:55 PM
Received 351 Likes on 302 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Plastidip! The universal solution!!

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (04-01-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670
The power steering is an entirely mechanical system and doesn't go through the IPDM. The only electronic component is the power steering pressure switch which increases rpm as the load on the pump is increased, this keeps the rpm's from plummeting and stalling the car.

I'm pretty damned sure the water you got all over the underside has corroded something on the power steering system, the usual culprit is a little U-joint between the firewall and the rack&pinion. Go to town with a can of WD-40 on that u-joint and it'll probably loosen right up again.
Yeah I knew the power steering was mechanical and belt driven but I thought it had to be the electrical rpm controller messing with it somehow but I guess not... that sucks *****. I'll see if i can find what u joint you mean tomorrow morning and spray it down...

This weekend went from me supposed to be installing my full exhaust and fixing the limp mode issue with the valve body to having to take a day off work today and sort out this damn electrical problem. Now I've got no PS.

Sigh.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Plastidip! The universal solution!!
Plastidip may actually be a decent solution to this 😉

Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Also, since your IPDM was fully saturated you should probably take a bag and put over it to prevent this from happening in the future since you obviously live somewhere where it can rain enough to exceed what the car can move (your cowl drain looked fine). I've never actually done it but it's something I've considered suggesting to folks, I don't know what would work best, it needs to be a thicker plastic, maybe something like a 1 gallon ziploc bag and some electrical tape. Leave the bottom exposed somewhat so it doesn't get too much moisture trapped INSIDE the bag which will eventually wreak havoc on the thing as moisture gets inside again.

Basically just covering the top and sides with plastic but leaving the bottom exposed.

Cleric I pmd you need your help on the valve body if you dont mind

Old 04-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Received 397 Likes on 360 Posts

The IPDM already has a plastic cover that goes over it. The only way water can get in is by pooling up from the bottom. Or if u didnt install the cover correctly.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
The IPDM already has a plastic cover that goes over it. The only way water can get in is by pooling up from the bottom. Or if u didnt install the cover correctly.
It got splashed from the bottom bombing through that flooded road