Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

how do you improve the sound quality of an aftermarket sirius unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you improve the sound quality of an aftermarket sirius unit

I have a 2003 laser red coupe. I did not get the dealer sirius/xm radio option. However, I decided much later on to buy an aftermarket sirius unit. The unit has a built in fm modulator; thus, all I have to do is plug it in and mount the antenna. I've had the unit for like a year now and have not been impressed by the sound quality. I've tried to change the frequencies/channels but nothing really improve the sound quality. The lack of clarity is really apparent when there is a high note.

My question is, is there a way to improve the sound quality of an aftermarket unit such as my sirius audiovox, such as hardwiring it to the stock BOSE? If anyone has done something similar to this, please inform me of what parts you used, how much did it cost, and if you DID NOT do the install yourself how much were you charged for the installation.

Thanks so much for your inputs.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Ok,
If the aftermarket sat unit has a headphone out, or better yet - a line-out... I would try and see if you can install the PAC AAI-NIS unit. Does your Bose headunit have the SAT button? If so - it would be easy to add a real aux in to the headunit, and having the sat radio run through the headunit. The sound quality will be 100% better - and will be close to that of your CD player.

So the connection will be:
Your SAT radio --> The PAC AAI-NIS --> output through your stereo via Bose headunit

If you need help getting a PAC unit - I can help you out. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:51 PM
G2G
Do you have to tear apart your dash to connect the PAC AAI-NIS part? I have the same problem but I have a XM roady that has the line out option.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Hmm... In a sense, yes you do. But if you read-up on the disassembly process and you prepare yourself - it isnt that big of a deal. You have to get behind the stereo to access the port for the PAC unit... It means taking out the AC/Stereo area to get to it.