Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sound Deadening the G.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you guys ever thought of putting some type of sound deadening spray in the trunk area? They sell some cheap stuff at auto parts stores Kragen and Pep Boys. It's not the dynomatt spray, but some type of rubber spray sound deadening material.

Also, in the trunk area you have vents on each side of the car. I'm thinking about covering that area with some type of sound deadening material. Will there be a problem if I do that?

Old 11-06-2005, 11:23 PM
sorry for the nub question...

but how do you take the panels off the door and the rear?

where do i pull or are there clips that need to take off first?

Old 11-06-2005, 11:54 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the search engine is ur friend...........

door panel removal
http://digitalwheelz.com/diy/doorPan...val/index.html

rear deck removal
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...707#post600707
BUT......all the pics in this thread were hosed! i'm too tired to search any more.......maybe nycg35 (or skaline) will post them back cause he did an awesome job on this DIY

Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Never enough
Great thread! How much B quiet did you need for the trunk?

Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 PM
g352nv.......i used very little B quiet in the trunk area cause i felt the oem "mat" deadened the panels good enough and depended on carpet underlayment and spray foam for a sound barrier.......1/2 - 3/4 of the B quiet roll was used on the inside of the large side body panels and the door panels....see attached pic of the yellow areas.....i did use some "mat" on the inside of the car as well....i put a layer over each wheel well under the back seat, but did not add a layer on the wheel well in the trunk.

Attached Thumbnails Sound Deadening the G.-b-quiet.jpg  
Old 12-03-2005, 12:31 PM
I received a great question from zcuts11.......

"When you matted the outer door skin, did you remove the window? Or just raise it out of the way before taking off the panels?"

I held the window in the "up" position by using packing tape along the outside bottom of the window to hold it in place (see attached pic, if you look close enough you can see the tape)

To get at the inside of the door, the window rollup linkage and motor is removed from the inside door panel (you can see the linkage and motor hanging in the attached pic).

Also, you can see the less than adequate attempt at sound deadening by Infiniti .......that small, dinky piece of dynamat wasnt even completely adhered to the door!....useless

shooter

Attached Thumbnails Sound Deadening the G.-dsc01562.jpg   Sound Deadening the G.-dsc01564.jpg  

Last edited by shooter; 12-03-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shooter - thank you!!! Easy to find lots of posts talking about door panel removal, but finding posts referencing getting to the inside of that outer panel in the front doors was a lot more work.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I just took off my door panel right now and I'm not sure which bolts to take off to get that black metal panel off. It seems like there are 13 gray bolts that I need to take off, but which one of the goldan screw type bolts do I need to take off? I'm afraid I'll take the wrong one's off and it will fall apart. Any help will be appreciated, thank you

Old 12-08-2005, 09:57 PM
the gold nuts hold the window motor and linkage and the gray screws hold the black panel......if you look closely at the first pic in the above post #36.....you can see the gray screws holes and a couple of the gold screws

dont forget to tape the window to the car door! or the window will fall

its been a year since i had mine apart and i can remember feeling a little scared when i removed the black panels as well.....didnt want to screw anything up! you need to be comfortable with working on your car......the parts do come apart and can be put back together fairly easily, but that depends on your skill level.....

i can't write a step by step DIY from a year old memory .......maybe someone else can post the steps as I dont want to steer you wrong and forget to tell you something

Old 12-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Thank you for the advise, I think I'm going to go ahead and go for it. I'll do it picture by picture and post some pictures and notes on this thread if you don't mind. First step: Taking the Black Panel Off!

Old 12-08-2005, 11:29 PM
great idea! good luck!

Old 12-09-2005, 07:38 AM
i found it was easier to just remove the piece of glass from the door. allows full access to the outer door skin as you can pull the whole "black panel" off with the rails and motor intact.

this thread is a great resource and full of good ideas. just wanted to add my two cents. thanks shooter

Last edited by zcuts11; 12-09-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 PM
wish i would have thought of that ....it was a little bit of a chore to get the "dynamat" behind the rails without cutting ur hands

looks great zcuts11!

Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 PM
What's that brown thing around the speaker? Is that something I should buy?

Old 12-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by DTrejo
What's that brown thing around the speaker? Is that something I should buy?
spacer ring made of MDF. you don't need them unless you're changing the speakers as well. it bolts in where the stock speaker was and then you screw your new speaker to it, it acts like an adapter to make a 6.5" speaker fit the Bose cutouts and bolt holes. if you do need them (b/c you're changing speakers) you can cut them easily using the Bose speaker as a template.

zcuts11: i understand how to get all the way to the inner door, but how do you remove the whole window from the door?

Last edited by SI_G35Coupe; 12-20-2005 at 12:30 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening the G.