Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sound Deadening the G.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much total weight was added to the car after all this sound deadening? You did weigh it all before installing I hope? More than 40-50 pounds would be too much for me...

Old 07-19-2008, 01:41 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
To be honest, I don't really know. I never weighed it before. Originally my plan was just the doors and a little bit on the trunk lid, but it spread to the rear deck, trunk walls and floor, rear doors, wheel wells, and the hood. I didn't feel my car being much slower, but I did put on a bit of weight I assume. I think I put on about 2.5 gallons of liquid deadener and about 80 - 100 sq. ft. of deadener mat. The trunk lid had the most layers, but nothing would make it rattle. I had 2 layers of Damplifier, 4 layers of Spectrum, and 2 layers of sludge. Stiff as a rock.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
donpisto..ur the one who had the accord on caraudio.com right? if so you put ALOT of work into that car..sad what happened..

Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 PM
one of my favorite things about the G has been how quiet it is. i feel like sound deadening it would be overkill and just add a ton of weight, although i could completely change my mind in a couple months when my stereo is completed. either way this thread presents some very inventive ideas. props guys!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by eggyhustles
donpisto..ur the one who had the accord on caraudio.com right? if so you put ALOT of work into that car..sad what happened..
Yep, that would be me. I try not to think about it, but I wonder time to time what the final product would have been.

Originally Posted by snotf
one of my favorite things about the G has been how quiet it is. i feel like sound deadening it would be overkill and just add a ton of weight, although i could completely change my mind in a couple months when my stereo is completed. either way this thread presents some very inventive ideas. props guys!
You can never get too quiet . I agree though, the G is very quiet and doesn't need much deadening, but the Bose speakers already rattle some panels so I know once I get a system going it will require deadening, especially if I go with I plan to do... two 15's via infinite baffle. I would do 18's, but that's just overkill, though it would be interesting. I love my lowend, but the only way I'll do 15's is IB, otherwise I'm sticking to a single 10 or 12. I also got my Z tube and pop charger installed today and at around 5 or 6k rpm I can hear a rattle by the B pillar. It's not like I rev it that high all the time, I just thought it was interesting that it does that.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
You know, for those complaining about weight, here's some perspective: I have about 100 lbs of dynamat xtreme, and also about 200 lbs of stereo gear (amps, speakers, carpc, etc...), and I still track my G.

So, yeah, the weight does slow it down a bit, but not incredibly so.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
donpisto, so how many wheel wells will one gallon of spectrum cover? Thanks.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:12 AM
I painted 3 layers of just spectrum on the front wheel wells and fenders and 2 layers on the rear wheels. 1 layer of sludge of the front wheel wells and fenders and I had quite a bit leftover. Enough to do the top of the rear deck with 1 layer of sludge, the bottom of the rear deck with 2 layers of sludge, the trunk lid with a layer of sludge and still having leftover. It will cover quite a good amount of area, but doing 2 layers of sludge for all the wheel wells or even 3 with all sludge, you should still have some remaining deadener.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 AM
well, in regard to weight, i'm not saying that it would be the equivalent of a stack of bricks, but still, weight is weight, and for most systems, the amount of sound deadening described is overkill.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by caelric
You know, for those complaining about weight, here's some perspective: I have about 100 lbs of dynamat xtreme, and also about 200 lbs of stereo gear (amps, speakers, carpc, etc...), and I still track my G.

So, yeah, the weight does slow it down a bit, but not incredibly so.
I don't understand your logic. I know a guy who tracks his Ford F250, but he doesn't do very well..

I just got my 05 G35 MT as my DD and it isn't fast enough. I'd like just a little more. I would like to quiet it up a bit(mostly a tire problem which can be addressed easily) but not at the expense of performance. 300lbs will slow the car down quite a bit imo.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Correct, could be a bunch of feathers, but 100 lbs in feathers is still 100 lbs. But the amount of deadening isn't overkill IMO. It's annoying to hear little pieces rattle, even faintly. Plus, when it rains, it's nice to have it where you don't even hear it coming down. Only place you would hear it on a well deadened vehicle is the windows, other than that, it can be virtually silent.

I'm not personally into performance, though some people are. It is a sacrifice, but there are other ways to gain back performance...turbo for example

IMO, it's a toss up and really depends on what is more important to you. When I had 200 lbs in my Accord I didn't notice too much of a difference when I downgraded and had less than two thirds that amount. If I went on the track, then I'm sure the numbers will show the difference, but every day driving, I didn't really notice anything, or possibly I got used to it.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah I dymamate my two doors and from the rear to the trunk.weight is no big deal to me since I'm not racing my car,but I do have a audio system and it really does sound alot better.it still rattles but not as much as if I did'nt have any dynamate.I heard this one car he has a okay system in it and no dynamate, just sound dynamate I think while inside your car will improve the music and sound of the system plus lower road noise by a little..

Old 07-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jnmunsey
I don't understand your logic. I know a guy who tracks his Ford F250, but he doesn't do very well..

I just got my 05 G35 MT as my DD and it isn't fast enough. I'd like just a little more. I would like to quiet it up a bit(mostly a tire problem which can be addressed easily) but not at the expense of performance. 300lbs will slow the car down quite a bit imo.

Ok, let me rephrase. I track my car well.

The approximate performance reduction is about 11 lbs to 1 hp. This of course only takes into account straight line performance. However, most of the weight you are adding will be low on the car, so it won't hurt the center of gravity very much, either.

So, that 300 lbs of sound deadening (or audio equipment, or extra body fat that you carry around, or whatever) will cost you approximately 27 hp, or 10% of your overall hp. A fair trade off, in my opinion. Yours is obviously different.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 PM
first off, unless you're taking out the headliner and deadening that too, you're going to hear rain. second, it's true, 300lbs is 300lbs, regardless of if it's in the form of bodyfat or stereo equipment, or soundeadening. however there is a MAJOR difference in that the 300 lbs in stereo equipment can be easily removed, and for what its worth, if you have a man with 300 pounds of body fat, he's going NOWHERE fast except in a lear jet, as his total weight would be close to if not over 5 bills.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by snotf
first off, unless you're taking out the headliner and deadening that too, you're going to hear rain. second, it's true, 300lbs is 300lbs, regardless of if it's in the form of bodyfat or stereo equipment, or soundeadening. however there is a MAJOR difference in that the 300 lbs in stereo equipment can be easily removed, and for what its worth, if you have a man with 300 pounds of body fat, he's going NOWHERE fast except in a lear jet, as his total weight would be close to if not over 5 bills.
Yes, when I said deadening the vehicle so you don't hear rain, I meant removing the headliner and laying deadener and even putting rattle pad or the luxury liner between the roof and the headliner would help. I put a layer of Damplifier and 2 or 3 layers of spectrum on my hood and the difference was noticeable when spraying a hose full blast. I don't know how else you would lay deadener on the roof without removing the headliner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening the G.