Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

component video input to stock nav?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
component video input to stock nav?

I dont have a stock nav system so I havent dont the research on it but I would like to know some info so that Ill be able to do carputer installs for people with stock nav

Is there currently a solution that will allow COMPONENT (or vga) input into the stock navigation system? I know there is a solution for composite input and xbox input; I dont want that, it has to be component or vga

Thanks for any input on the matter

Old 04-24-2005, 09:39 AM
nothing like that at the moment... best so far is the s-video input from avelectronic... I've done some research and have narrowed the problem down to two things:

VGA is essentially RGB with separate Hsync and Vsync. This has to be converted to a RGB + composite sync signal... I have seen an adapter out there that does this, although i'm not sure if it works at all with the nav display...

second part of it is the frequency of the Nav Display. computer video cards typically output to a higher frequency than the Nav display can handle. You have to find a video card that will display at the lower frequency (i think 15Khz?). Even if you find a video card that can handle it, you can only lower to that frequency after you boot up into windows, so the initial boot screens will not be visible since it's usually outputted at a standard frequency...

you can look up what's called fixed frequency video cards that have been used for older fixed frequency monitors. I believe generatorlabs has gotten this to work but its not easy and not something that can be mass produced.

I believe for the best quality on the OEM nav screen, the avelectronic s-video would be it... other than that, you'd have to get a new screen and mount it somewhere else...

Old 04-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by tsolin01
nothing like that at the moment... best so far is the s-video input from avelectronic... I've done some research and have narrowed the problem down to two things:

VGA is essentially RGB with separate Hsync and Vsync. This has to be converted to a RGB + composite sync signal... I have seen an adapter out there that does this, although i'm not sure if it works at all with the nav display...

second part of it is the frequency of the Nav Display. computer video cards typically output to a higher frequency than the Nav display can handle. You have to find a video card that will display at the lower frequency (i think 15Khz?). Even if you find a video card that can handle it, you can only lower to that frequency after you boot up into windows, so the initial boot screens will not be visible since it's usually outputted at a standard frequency...

you can look up what's called fixed frequency video cards that have been used for older fixed frequency monitors. I believe generatorlabs has gotten this to work but its not easy and not something that can be mass produced.

I believe for the best quality on the OEM nav screen, the avelectronic s-video would be it... other than that, you'd have to get a new screen and mount it somewhere else...

tsolin01
How u been !. hows your 05 comming alone? I remember you were the 1st on the forum to get the 2005,, well at least post pics of it. If u remember i contacted you about how much you paid and the where in NY you got it from. Well just wanted to say thanks cause i got a nice deal on mines in Dec after telling them how much you paid for it. .

Ne way Do u know if you can hookup a xbox in ne way to the avelectronic unit? Would be be able to use the Svideo on the Xbox and the Avelectronic unit??

Old 04-24-2005, 06:53 PM
hey wassup! yea i remember you. No prob on the help, no one should be paying MSRP for this car or any car for that matter... yea i was probably the first one to get an 05 in the tristate area lol... I contacted all the dealers close by and none of them had any 05s coming except like 3 and from those only one had them coming the week I took delivery of mine...

anyway, as for the avelectronic working with the 05, i think someone has done it... since the avelectronic unit is a universal type oem nav connector and video switcher it should be able to handle the changes in the 05... i mean it works with other cars and most likely their nav systems are different so it should be able to handle different sync signals. Difference with s-video and composite is definitely noticeable but still not as good as component and VGA. Since i wanted to put a carputer in there i was gonna wait for someone to come out with a VGA connection but doesn't look like its gonna happen... i'll probably get an avelectronic but the high price tag is holding me back...

Old 04-24-2005, 07:19 PM
hey wassup! yea i remember you. No prob on the help, no one should be paying MSRP for this car or any car for that matter... yea i was probably the first one to get an 05 in the tristate area lol... I contacted all the dealers close by and none of them had any 05s coming except like 3 and from those only one had them coming the week I took delivery of mine...

anyway, as for the avelectronic working with the 05, i think someone has done it... since the avelectronic unit is a universal type oem nav connector and video switcher it should be able to handle the changes in the 05... i mean it works with other cars and most likely their nav systems are different so it should be able to handle different sync signals. Difference with s-video and composite is definitely noticeable but still not as good as component and VGA. Since i wanted to put a carputer in there i was gonna wait for someone to come out with a VGA connection but doesn't look like its gonna happen... i'll probably get an avelectronic but the high price tag is holding me back...
Yea i would have gotten the Avelectronic unit as well but the price tag is huge! Wonder if we could get a better price if we get a group buy going!?

I really wanted that Navbox from generator labs but it wont work with the 2005 . Had my Xbox modded and ready to go.. OH well.. How do u think the video quality would be wit the Avelectronic if we were to go with the S video ?

Btw when are you plannign to do this? Maybe we can get together some time.. Im looking at doing it sometime this summer .. waiting for finals to end may 11th baby!

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2005, 09:53 PM
yea sucks.. i didn't know the navbox didn't work. S-video quality should be ok... not much more we can do really. I'm planning to do mine sometime in the summer too, but i need to save up first hehe... if you do it first, i'd definitely like to see the install. let me know and i'll let a hand although i'm not experienced in those kind of installs lol

Old 04-24-2005, 10:43 PM
yea sucks.. i didn't know the navbox didn't work. S-video quality should be ok... not much more we can do really. I'm planning to do mine sometime in the summer too, but i need to save up first hehe... if you do it first, i'd definitely like to see the install. let me know and i'll let a hand although i'm not experienced in those kind of installs lol
The install should be simple esp if you go via the Fm modulation. although I think im going wit the PAc audio. Do u know if the Pac audio works with the 2005? IM gonna be pissed if it doesnt'.. From the avelectronic unit it looks as if you just have to splice into 4 wires with the 2005. Not 100 sure on this..

Lets try to find someone that installed the avelectronic unit into the 2005 so we know exactly what color wires to cut and splice into. That would make it soo much easier. As far as taking the car apart it is not too difficult, i have the "repair" manual on cd and was looking through it; just need to remove a couple of panels. Nuttin major. Like i mentioned above the harddest part is the what wires to cut into. Other than that it should be ok .

Im planning to mount the xbox in the trunk and gettin the 12v powersupply to the Inverter from the "bose" amp located there. Then run the S video and audio wires to the front near the passanger kick panel. Where the Av unit will be installed.

THose are just ruff scemes..

Try to find out someone that has the unit installed. !

Later

BTW hows the Ztube and popcharger? Im planning on getting it soon. Ne diff in performance .. i doubt it. I just heard it sounds SICK!!!! I want to get it just for the sound!!

Last edited by g35driver05; 04-24-2005 at 10:46 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-25-2005, 01:52 PM
There's plenty of converters out there, but I doubt you will ever get a true component connection. If your installing the carputer just make sure you have a quality VGA to S-Video solution; some video card's S-Video outputs don't look that great. A lot of people prefer external converters.
At the end of the day with a screen this small you are not going to notice the difference in quality from the S-Video, so I really wouldn't pull your hair out on this one.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:26 PM
i'm definitely doing the pac audio thing... should work fine with the 05. I could have sworn I saw someone that had the avelectronic unit installed on an 05... yea I have the service manual as well so shouldn't be bad.

I was planning to do a carputer installed either under the front passenger seat or in the glove box... If its under the front passenger seat, the case would have to be water proof and durable in case someone spilled something back there or if it was raining outside. I'm still looking into that. I'd rather not have it in the trunk although that would be safer. AVelectronic unit would probably be where you were planning to put yours in the passenger footwell area.

I'd like to keep the computer in the cabin so access to the dvd drive would be easier and without running wires all over the place.

As for the ztube and popcharger, they're pretty good. You hear more a whistle with the popcharger and it is louder. Although I installed both like the same day i got the car so I didn't get a good comparison with stock lol...

Old 04-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
There's plenty of converters out there, but I doubt you will ever get a true component connection. If your installing the carputer just make sure you have a quality VGA to S-Video solution; some video card's S-Video outputs don't look that great. A lot of people prefer external converters.
At the end of the day with a screen this small you are not going to notice the difference in quality from the S-Video, so I really wouldn't pull your hair out on this one.
yea the only thing that i would need the quality for is reading text and such... i'm planning to use a EPIA miniITX board but not sure of the S-video quality of those. I guess i'll find out once i start the project I guess worse come to worse I can always get separate screen to use for the VGA output and have the Nav screen there just for movies or mp3 visualization