Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2 10" sub box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlg9770
My friend just stopped by with his car. He has the darker grey but you can see how fits.

mike
Phuckin' Awesome!!! Exactly what I've been searching endlessly for!!! 1 important question tho' is each 10" inch opening separated by a partition?? I would definitely buy if there is a divider separating each such...SOLD!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by GRider35c
looks awesome!
where are you located?
and is there enough space above the box (the rear deck panel)for the sound to travel back to the cabin??
what kind of wood? 3/4" MDF, prolly 1/2" right?!
where would you mount the amp?
i would want better wire connectors...
Hi
I am in Sarasota Florida. If anyone lives locally they're more than welcome to come by check out this box.

The box sits forward of the stock speakers. The sound traveling into the cabin is something I did think of when designing the box. I think you will lose some bass but it will go thru the back dash and seat. One idea I had if it cut the bass down to much is to pull the box backward creating a gap around the partition allowing more sound to travel forward. The box fits pretty tight so it should stay where ever you put it.

The boxes are 3/4" mdf. These are the only connectors I have right now. I will have to look around to find some different ones I can buy in bulk. You can always pop it out and upgrade to different ones until I get some.
I'm not sure where a good spot to mount the amp would be. There is some room on the front of the box between the back seat but I'm not sure how big of an amp would fit if any.

I am selling them for $149.99 plus shipping. I have cardboard boxes custom made to fit the sub boxes I ship and heavily pad them for shipping. I ship UPS insured.
thanks mike
mlg9770@comcast.net
941-379-4043

Old 05-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by CreativeAutoworks
WOW that looks great!!!! how much? and when will they be ready? Let me know thank you
I have offered the first one to mrdigital since he was the first to say he wanted one.
I can have one more in the light grey ready to ship on Monday. I'm expecting the darker grey anytime. As soon as I get the carpet(only had enough light grey for two boxes and have to order it) I will have a constant supply of them and have them listed on eBay. So, I'd say starting next week I will have them steadily.

Does anyone know if there are any other trunk carpet colors other than the two greys??

thanks mike

Old 05-12-2005, 09:30 PM
"I would definitely buy if there is a divider separating each such...SOLD!!!"

I can divide the chambers if desired. Thats no problem. I also can make it for one ten or two eights.

mike

Old 05-12-2005, 10:50 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO i dont like this setup.........i want to hear the music as the musician intended it to be heard........each individual note, not just have a trunk that booms...........

how is the sound going to get into the cabin? the box is made of mdf and will not flex but act as a very stiff wall.........effectivley separating the cabin from the trunk........it will be like listening to music from the next room......muffled

i also think sound proofing that trunk is a must! cause the trunk will now expand and contract with each bass hit.......no place for the sound pressure to go......

the box is blocking the main sound path from the trunk to the cabin...through the seat.......if you remove the rear deck speakers there will be some continuity....but with two 10" speakers there will not be enough air volume for my tastes....when i drive with my seat down and the sound is so much louder and clearer......

sorry for the slam, but this is my humble opinion......

now if you turn the box around

Last edited by shooter; 05-12-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shooter
IMHO i dont like this setup.........i want to hear the music as the musician intended it to be heard........each individual note, not just have a trunk that booms...........

how is the sound going to get into the cabin? the box is made of mdf and will not flex but act as a very stiff wall.........effectivley separating the cabin from the trunk........it will be like listening to music from the next room......muffled

i also think sound proofing that trunk is a must! cause the trunk will now expand and contract with each bass hit.......no place for the sound pressure to go......

the box is blocking the main sound path from the trunk to the cabin...through the seat.......if you remove the rear deck speakers there will be some continuity....but with two 10" speakers there will not be enough air volume for my tastes....when i drive with my seat down and the sound is so much louder and clearer......

now if you turn the box around
i dont think you know much about car audio...
1."it will be like listening to music from the next room......muffled"
-only bass comes from subs, not mids or highs, and the bass is supposed to come from the rear anyhow!
2."the box is made of mdf and will not flex but act as a very stiff wall"
-thats the point when you've got 1000watts of power running thru 2 10" subs, if the box flexes you lose energy, energy you want to travel from the inside of the box through the spoeaker to the front. MDF is the best wood for a speakerbox, 3/4" especially!
3."how is the sound going to get into the cabin?"
-the rear deck! its not airtight right??
4."the box is blocking the main sound path from the trunk to the cabin...through the seat"
-WRONG! see number 3
5."now if you turn the box around "
-now this got me laughing... bass bounces, so you position it up or towards the rear so it has room to bounce and build up so it bounces back...
(bass bounces and treble travels)

Old 05-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Banned
mlg9770, nice box, its awesome and just the thing i was looking for...

one suggestion, i would highly suggest you partitioning the airspace for each speaker...

PM sent!

Old 05-13-2005, 06:35 AM
i dont think you know much about car audio...
1."it will be like listening to music from the next room......muffled"
-only bass comes from subs, not mids or highs, and the bass is supposed to come from the rear anyhow!
2."the box is made of mdf and will not flex but act as a very stiff wall"
-thats the point when you've got 1000watts of power running thru 2 10" subs, if the box flexes you lose energy, energy you want to travel from the inside of the box through the spoeaker to the front. MDF is the best wood for a speakerbox, 3/4" especially!
3."how is the sound going to get into the cabin?"
-the rear deck! its not airtight right??
4."the box is blocking the main sound path from the trunk to the cabin...through the seat"
-WRONG! see number 3
5."now if you turn the box around "
-now this got me laughing... bass bounces, so you position it up or towards the rear so it has room to bounce and build up so it bounces back...
(bass bounces and treble travels)

GRider thanks for saving me the energy of slaming that guy...he definitely knows very little about car audio! I will be ordering mine as soon as I return in a week

Old 05-13-2005, 07:02 AM
mlg9770, nice box, its awesome and just the thing i was looking for...

one suggestion, i would highly suggest you partitioning the airspace for each speaker...

PM sent!
The partitions separating the chambers is no problem.

I would like to thank Rich V for lending me his G35 to come up with this design.

I love my 350Z but the G35 is sweeet.

mike

Last edited by mlg9770; 06-10-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:17 AM
is there any how u can make a dual 12" box?

Old 05-13-2005, 09:51 AM
mike you siad that there was around .80 cubic feet of space....is that for each speaker...or .80 cubic feet for the total box displacement....thanx

Old 05-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by dubs
mike you siad that there was around .80 cubic feet of space....is that for each speaker...or .80 cubic feet for the total box displacement....thanx
The box is a total of around .80 cu ft...not per side/sub. Thats the most I could get without getting into fiberglass which is $$$$.

After many requests I will be dividing the chambers with a partition on all 2-8" and 2-10" boxes

"is there any how u can make a dual 12" box?"

I dont have any plans to make a box for 12" subs right now. Maybe in the future.

thanks mike

Old 05-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by supsup
is there any how u can make a dual 12" box?
i dont think so, theres only 11" of height under the rear deck... maybe even less

Old 05-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Banned
Mike, heres the pic i told you about...

with the 8" that im looking for, looks like the speaker is too big! this is nicknamed the "Heavy Eight" (JLAudio 8W7)

Attached Thumbnails 2 10" sub box-drawing1-model-1-.jpg  
Old 05-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Mike, heres the pic i told you about...

with the 8" that im looking for, looks like the speaker is too big! this is nicknamed the "Heavy Eight" (JLAudio 8W7)
That's cool. Is that a program or did you just draw it up with the sizes? It must be that huge magnet that prevents it from fitting.

thanks mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 10" sub box