Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2 10" sub box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes i allowed for the mounting outside the box, no i drew it in autoCAD, i do architecture/ engineering on the side...

i gotta go, well discuss later... maybe we can redesign the box a tad?!?!

Old 05-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thanx for the info...now not to be a ball buster but...instead of having (2) 10" drivers facing the back of the trunk, can you instead make a box for (1) 10" driver facing the front seats instead; with the same shape you have designed. The part of the box that faces the inside of the trunk can be used to mount the amps on....Is this something that you could do...if so I would be very intrested.... I have a 10w6 jl driver which needs ruffly the whole displacement of that box thats why I'm asking....thanx

Old 05-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by dubs
ok thanx for the info...now not to be a ball buster but...instead of having (2) 10" drivers facing the back of the trunk, can you instead make a box for (1) 10" driver facing the front seats instead; with the same shape you have designed. The part of the box that faces the inside of the trunk can be used to mount the amps on....Is this something that you could do...if so I would be very intrested.... I have a 10w6 jl driver which needs ruffly the whole displacement of that box thats why I'm asking....thanx
The front panel has more of an angle than the back which makes the magnets hit the bottom of the box. When I have time in the next few days I will put one together and change the angle behind the seat and test fit to see if this works. I think it will work and if so I will offer them with subs on either side.

mike

Old 05-13-2005, 03:12 PM
.8 cuft... doesn't seem right?

also wanted to comment on bass reflections... the longer the bass takes to reach you the lower and cleaner it will sound. facing them towards the back will sound better than facing the front allowing the bass to reflect off the back of the vehicle.

but this is all moot for me anyways as i'll be doing a custom box for the spare tire well w/ a 12" solobaric.

Last edited by FrizzleFry; 05-13-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
that looks really good, how much is this?

Old 05-13-2005, 04:42 PM
as soon as you post them on your ebay store, i'm buying

Old 05-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by xgaryx
as soon as you post them on your ebay store, i'm buying
I should have them in the ebay store at the beginning of the week.

that looks really good, how much is this?

149.99 + shipping

thanks
mike

Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GRider35c
i dont think you know much about car audio...
1."it will be like listening to music from the next room......muffled"
-only bass comes from subs, not mids or highs, and the bass is supposed to come from the rear anyhow!
2."the box is made of mdf and will not flex but act as a very stiff wall"
-thats the point when you've got 1000watts of power running thru 2 10" subs, if the box flexes you lose energy, energy you want to travel from the inside of the box through the spoeaker to the front. MDF is the best wood for a speakerbox, 3/4" especially!
3."how is the sound going to get into the cabin?"
-the rear deck! its not airtight right??
4."the box is blocking the main sound path from the trunk to the cabin...through the seat"
-WRONG! see number 3
5."now if you turn the box around "
-now this got me laughing... bass bounces, so you position it up or towards the rear so it has room to bounce and build up so it bounces back...
(bass bounces and treble travels)

sorry for the slam, but this is my humble opinion......
first off my comments were in no way meant to be directed towards anyone.....i was commenting on the setup.......now as far as my knowledge of car audio, i am no expert nor claim to be.....i have been installing my own systems for many years in different cars and have learned what i like......most of what i have learned came from one of my work buddies who was a professional car audio installer.....hence my opinion

1. yes the bass comes from the subs usually located in the trunk in most installations........these long bass sounds waves must travel from the sub to the listener...if there is an obstruction between the speaker and the listener, the sound will be affected (sounding "muffled").

2. my comment on the stiffness of mdf was misinterpreted.....mdf is an excellent building material for sub boxes....i have built many myself....the comment was directed towards the mdf box plugging the hole between the trunk and the cabin.....there is no clear path for the sound waves to get into the cabin if you plug the hole with the box.

3. the rear deck is a metal shelf that has 4 holes in it....2 very small holes for the child safety belts and 2 for the 6x9 speakers.....if you remove the 6x9's this will allow some movement of air into the cabin from the trunk, but IMO not enough......the area of the two 10" speakers = 157 square inches and the area of the 6x9 holes = 85 square inches about half the area.....

3&4. i agree the rear deck is not air tight, but the open volume between the trunk and cabin should be at least the same as the subs.....but i like double......the hole behind the rear seat allows plenty of sound thru....if it is not blocked with a speaker box.....i have a sub in my trunk and with the seat down i notice a big improvement in quality and volume from the sub.....

5. i agree as well.....bass does bounce...and the longer the path the better the sound........but there is still no clear opening for the "bounced" sound waves to enter the cabin.........it seems like every one agrees that the longer the path for the bass the better.....i dont see how these long bass waves will squeeze through the small openings in the rear deck and around the box thru the seat and still sound the same as passing unobstructed thru the hole behind the seat. IMO turn the box around a fire it thru the seat.........

I did a quick search and found the attached picture to illustrate what i am trying to communicate......notice the subs are pointing backwards in the first car (it has an large opening between the trunk and the cabin).....this will allow the long bass sound waves to produce a better quality sound as they bounce off the back of the trunk and into the cabin....... but check the second car.......they suggest turning the box around if there is a rear deck.......

I hope this helps and good luck!

Attached Thumbnails 2 10" sub box-rear-facing-subs.jpg  
Old 05-14-2005, 05:24 AM
Banned
shooter, the schametic you attached is regarding a ported system... the box in question in this thread is sealed. both are totally different ballgames...

a bass reflex (ported) enclosure will produce 2 sound waves, one when the speaker pushes outward like normal, and another when the speaker bounces back into the box, pushing air out of the port, increasing the overall sound level. in this case, the direction of the port should be turned forward, or up, to take advantage of the port's direction...

Old 05-14-2005, 11:23 AM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok.........i have a basic understanding of how a ported enclosure works and the advantages and disadvantages of the 2 types (i prefer the sound from a sealed enclosure, nice tight bass).....but i dont think the diff. between a ported and sealed enclosure is the issue here....this picture was the first thing i came across during a quick web search, but still illustrates the situation........can you explain why the sound from the ported enclosure should be treated any diff. than the sound from a sealed enclosure in regards to placement in the trunk? i think i read that you agree that the ported enclosure should fire at the seats? then why not the sealed enclosure? .......i was thinking last night about 1 other thing that was said........the enclosure in this thread is faced backwards to allow the long bass notes to travel a farther distance and thus increasing quality, a good thing.....the bass bounces or reflects off the back of the trunk and bounces forward.....we agree to this right? well then where does the sound waves go now? they bounce off the speaker box right back into the trunk....my point is that the rear deck does not have enough open area to allow the bass thru......even if the 6x9's are removed.....the trunk will vibrate no doubt about that (especially if a good job of sound proofing is not done)....and thus the rest of the car will vibrate as well transfering some of the sound energy trapped in the truck to sound energy in the cabin.......but now the bass sound in the cabin will be coming from the vibrations of the car and not the speaker.....

hey GRider35c........i'll be in LA in july for a week or 2, maybe we can get together for a coffee and discuss?

Old 05-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Banned
sounds good shooter! PM me a couple days before...

put it this way, bass will find its way to the cabin, unless you have a sheet of steel behind your seat, which i swear my brothers old bmw convertible had! you position the box rear-firing and the bass waves "build-up" and bounce back forwards...

i built a box with 2-10" kickers way back in '95... TRUST ME it sounded better when i positioned it towards the rear...

this thread actually inspired me to SHOVE it in my G35 coupe, and it fit! but unfortunately, it only fit facing forward. it still hits hard and rumbles, but not as much as it did when it was facing the rear!

Attached Thumbnails 2 10" sub box-dsc01940.jpg  
Old 05-14-2005, 11:26 PM
htn
What is the actual dimension of that box please?

Old 05-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned
which one? mine, above your post? or the one Mike is selling?!

Old 05-15-2005, 11:02 AM
htn
The nice looking one that's about to be on ebay for 149 + shipping. Thanks in advance

Old 05-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by htn
The nice looking one that's about to be on ebay for 149 + shipping. Thanks in advance
hahaha... damn that hurts. "the nice looking one" heh

GRider35c : ever consider a spare tire sub enclosure? I'm wondering if the compartment for the coupe and sedan are the same. If so, the one we're modeling from my car should work out well. fully secured. no loss of trunk space (with 10" subs we're still not sure about 12") and stealth/clean. Sure you lose your spare tire but that's excess weight anyways as long as you've got towing coverage right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 10" sub box