Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DIY Speaker install on G35 sedan with non-bose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ohms is the resistance of the speaker. A 4 ohm is a higher resistance than 2 ohm. Generally speaking, in the car audio industry, a 4 ohm is a better application. The BASIC reason being that most amplifiers are rated at 4 ohms, and when dropping down to 2 ohms, it makes the amplifier work harder, and reduces the distance between peak power and nominal power (meaning less powerful peaks). Bose uses 2 ohm, because they can send the same amount of power to them and make them seem louder than if they were 4 ohm speakers. Most home systems use 8 ohm because it is easier to create a larger power supply. Again, this is the BASIC reason.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Out of many - one people
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some pics of the rear Polk 6.5" DB650 coaxials mounted on their spacers. These will be installed in the morning.

Once again, all four factory door speakers in the sedan without bose (at least in my 2004 sedan) are the exact same dimensions - 6.5".

Notice the hole drilled at the side to allow for the speaker wires to exit from behind the speaker when attached.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Speaker install on G35 sedan with non-bose-image067.jpg   DIY Speaker install on G35 sedan with non-bose-image068.jpg  

Last edited by rupdog326; 09-22-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Yes, I like how you drilled the sides. What did you end up using to coat the MDF? I noticed it is a purpleish hue.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Hey, I am going to reference you to another thread...
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/23664-lacking-midbass-my-components.html
I was just posting over there, and it reminded me of one thing I forgot to tell you about. You should try to create an air tight seal with the spacers against the door. I did this using silicone, but you can attempt to use some kind of weather stripping too (like the stock speaker spacers have on the back). This will greatly improve your midbass.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Out of many - one people
Originally Posted by khsonic03
Hey, I am going to reference you to another thread...
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23664
I was just posting over there, and it reminded me of one thing I forgot to tell you about. You should try to create an air tight seal with the spacers against the door. I did this using silicone, but you can attempt to use some kind of weather stripping too (like the stock speaker spacers have on the back). This will greatly improve your midbass.
I used dynamat - would that be enough of a seal?

Old 09-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Well, that is a better seal than using nothing. I still might suggest sealing it better, but you might want to wait and see how much midbass you are getting. As El duderino mentioned on the other forum, he feels that the space between the spacer and the inner door grille is more important than sealing the rear. I personally have had good success with just a rear seal, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt to do what he says also. I might even give it a shot on my vehicle.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Out of many - one people
Originally Posted by khsonic03
Well, that is a better seal than using nothing. I still might suggest sealing it better, but you might want to wait and see how much midbass you are getting. As El duderino mentioned on the other forum, he feels that the space between the spacer and the inner door grille is more important than sealing the rear. I personally have had good success with just a rear seal, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt to do what he says also. I might even give it a shot on my vehicle.
I completed the install last night and took your advice for the rear speakers and put some weather stripping on the back of the spacers. So now the weather stripping sits on the dynamat. Took my wife for a drive and she said there was too much bass. Just what I wanted to know. She said it gave her a headache - beautiful. I didn't put the weather stripping on the front speaker spacers because they were already installed and I didn't want to go through all the trouble of removing the door panels again.

Once again, I have to say that replacing the speakers alone is a very dramatic improvement over the stock pieces of **** panasonic speakers.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:35 PM
LOL...I love that... My G/F said the same thing when I cranked my JL 500/1 and 10W7 with some nice Black Eyed Peas playing. 'course I gave myself a headache too....lol

Old 09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason that Bose likes to use a 2 ohm speaker is that you can generate more power without building a decent power supply for your amp. THe power supply is the second most expensive part after the heat sink extrusion.

Ohm's law says that if your voltage stays the same (the power supply) and your resistance goes down, your current must go up (until something fails).

It also means that during musical peaks, since your amp is passing almost all the current it can during normal operation, there isn't muc in the way of dynamic headroom. So distortion climbs dramatically during those peaks.

Bose is really good at saving money. Not at sonic performance, just at saving ooney.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enjoyed your install pics. Quick question: did you ever replace the amp, or was the change pretty dramatic just by swapping the speakers?

Thanks,

Shoeless

Old 11-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Out of many - one people
Originally Posted by shoeless
Enjoyed your install pics. Quick question: did you ever replace the amp, or was the change pretty dramatic just by swapping the speakers?

Thanks,

Shoeless
I didn't change the amp, but just changing the speakers was IMO pretty dramatic. If you could see how cheap the factory speakers look, you would want to change them.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. How much did the polk's set you back? What other speakers did you consider, Bostons, etc?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The Polks may sound louder because they may be more efficient than the stock Panasonics. I don't know that for a fact, though. It's just a guess. Regardless, the Polks have to be beter than OEM Panasonics.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
The reason that Bose likes to use a 2 ohm speaker is that you can generate more power without building a decent power supply for your amp. THe power supply is the second most expensive part after the heat sink extrusion.

Ohm's law says that if your voltage stays the same (the power supply) and your resistance goes down, your current must go up (until something fails).

It also means that during musical peaks, since your amp is passing almost all the current it can during normal operation, there isn't muc in the way of dynamic headroom. So distortion climbs dramatically during those peaks.

Bose is really good at saving money. Not at sonic performance, just at saving ooney.
That was a lot better explanation of ohms than the original ohm explanation in this thread. I don't know how someone with common sense would think that more resistance when dealing with electricity is a good thing, especially if you're trying to get the maximum amount of power to the speakers while using the least amount of energy. Lower ohm speakers are more expensive, usually built better, and are more effecient than higher ohm speakers.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by falconey
That was a lot better explanation of ohms than the original ohm explanation in this thread. I don't know how someone with common sense would think that more resistance when dealing with electricity is a good thing, especially if you're trying to get the maximum amount of power to the speakers while using the least amount of energy. Lower ohm speakers are more expensive, usually built better, and are more effecient than higher ohm speakers.
LOL. Try again bud. Why do you think all home audio systems are 8 ohm? Re-read el-duderino's post. Bose uses lower ohms, because they can make crap amplifiers and still create an effect of a powerful system. When the speaker ohms are less, there is less dynamic headroom (musical peaks) and more distortion. Yes, if you are talking about the most bang for your buck, then 2 ohm is the way to go, which is why Bose uses them, but if you want SQ, at least 4 ohms is what you want.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Speaker install on G35 sedan with non-bose