Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Will adding a 10w7 in blow rear deck speakers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will adding a 10w7 in blow rear deck speakers?

Hello,

I'm planning on installing JL 10w7 in the trunk of my coupe, powered by a JL 500/1. I know several people have this setup. But those who have opted to utilize the rear deck speakers (stock or otherwise), will I run a considerable risk of blowing these speakers if I the sub hits too hard?

Secondly, I plan on running MB Quart PCE 216 components in the front & rear. Since I do occasionally cart around passengers in the back, I'd like to know if it's better to replace the 6x9s, or replace the 6.5"s in the side.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The woofer won't blow your speakers.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
You won't blow the rear speakers from the subs hitting too hard. Where the problem lies is that a lot of people will crank the bass up to +128 when they have subs installed. The increased bass will drown out the distortion that your rear (and front) speakers are creating, trying to recreate the exaggerated bass notes you're sending to them.

As long as you don't crank the bass and distort the speakers you'll be fine.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:54 AM
thank you very much for your input. Would a set of components be better suited for the rear, over 6x9s? As I'm not a true audiophile, I'm not sure what the advantages/disadvantages would be to either set up.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Banned
Components would be a waste in the rear, a coaxial or just a regular woofer will be better. Rear speakers, by design, should just add a little lower end fill. Putting separate components back there would pull your soundstage towards the back, giving you an artificial sound.

Theres been an arguement for years about the differences between 6x9s and round speakers. Most people choose to go with 6.5s (if they will fit) or 5.25s in the 6x9 spot, IF they are looking for the best sound. However, you will lose quite a bit of surface area on the speaker, so your bass response will go down. This isn't a big deal if you have a sub, though. The theory behind this choice is that 6x9s create oval soundwaves that are less predictable then a perfectly circular sound wave. Therefore, the circular soundwaves are more suited for a high end, automobile sounds system.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:22 AM
If you're adding a sub, you don't need the rear deck 6x9 speakers. Just disconnect them. You're better off replacing the rear side 6.5" speakers with some coax speakers.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks again. Those are the answers I've been searching for.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedybc86
Hello,

I'm planning on installing JL 10w7 in the trunk of my coupe, powered by a JL 500/1. I know several people have this setup. But those who have opted to utilize the rear deck speakers (stock or otherwise), will I run a considerable risk of blowing these speakers if I the sub hits too hard?
Secondly, I plan on running MB Quart PCE 216 components in the front & rear. Since I do occasionally cart around passengers in the back, I'd like to know if it's better to replace the 6x9s, or replace the 6.5"s in the side.

Thanks for the help.

Brian
Dont do it man...do not get W7 with 500/1...it sounded horrible and you are running the risx of rear deck speakers just fly out of the rear deck .....I would replace rear deck speaker rather than the rear sides, cuase to me? the rear side just too close to your ears.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Shane, Are you jerking my chain about the W7? I thought yours sounded great with your setup at the last meet. What's changed?

I've heard a lot of people say that I should opt against replacing the rear side speakers due to it being too close to the ears...but aren't the rear deck speakers even closer? Explanation please. Car Audio noob here.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Banned
In car audio path lengths are everything. A path length is defined as the the distance from the left speaker to the left ear, and from the right speaker to the right ear. Unless the seat is in the middle of the car, you will NEVER get equal pathlengths. To compensate for this typically you move the speakers further away from the listener (ie kick panels). This doesn't equalize them, but it makes the ratio much closer, and less detectable to the ear.

So, if you were to measure from your left ear to the rear side left speaker the distance won't be that far. When you measure the right side it will be much greater then the left. Now, do the same for the rear speakers. The distances should be much closer.

Of course, on rear speakers this isn't as much of a concern, as rear speakers, by design, are to only add lower end reinforcement to the music, and, as we all know, bass is non directional!

Geez, I'm a wealth of useless information.... Its almost hard to believe that EVERY part of my stereo in my coupe is stock!

Old 09-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by KPierson
In car audio path lengths are everything. A path length is defined as the the distance from the left speaker to the left ear, and from the right speaker to the right ear. Unless the seat is in the middle of the car, you will NEVER get equal pathlengths. To compensate for this typically you move the speakers further away from the listener (ie kick panels). This doesn't equalize them, but it makes the ratio much closer, and less detectable to the ear.

So, if you were to measure from your left ear to the rear side left speaker the distance won't be that far. When you measure the right side it will be much greater then the left. Now, do the same for the rear speakers. The distances should be much closer.

Of course, on rear speakers this isn't as much of a concern, as rear speakers, by design, are to only add lower end reinforcement to the music, and, as we all know, bass is non directional!

Geez, I'm a wealth of useless information.... Its almost hard to believe that EVERY part of my stereo in my coupe is stock!
Or simply run couple hundren yards of extra speaker wires for the right side... ...see what no sleep would do to ya?...I meant to say LEFT side...need to take a nap.

Last edited by limeg35; 09-17-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by speedybc86
Shane, Are you jerking my chain about the W7? I thought yours sounded great with your setup at the last meet. What's changed?

I've heard a lot of people say that I should opt against replacing the rear side speakers due to it being too close to the ears...but aren't the rear deck speakers even closer? Explanation please. Car Audio noob here.
Yeah I am... we have same color car already dont want to have same sub and amp too ...in addition to what KPierson said, which is very hard to comprehend at 6 o'clock in the morning, I had to read it few times over ...besides the time alignment issue, its that being so close to your ears, if you use full range speakers, most you will hear is form the rear side speakers particularly from higher frequency, unless you sit very close to the windshiled of course you can fade most to up front too, but if you do that, whats the point to change out the side speakers, if you arent gonna use them much more than 20 percent of the output? kinda waste of money....try this, rest your chin on the steering wheel and turn on the CD and see how much of the sound you hear are from the rear.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:51 PM
www.g35tt.com
If you are going with a W7, don't use the 500/1, use a 1000/1. There is not enough power from the 500/1 to push a W7. You bass will be there, but it will not be a crisp. If you use a W6, the 500/1 will have enough power to push it.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:18 PM
If you are going with a W7, don't use the 500/1, use a 1000/1. There is not enough power from the 500/1 to push a W7. You bass will be there, but it will not be a crisp. If you use a W6, the 500/1 will have enough power to push it.
Speedy (sorry cant remember your name!) after you've heard them, you think you should use 1000/1 with W7s?

Old 09-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth...but doesn't the 10W7 owners manual recommend the 500/1 for the 10w7? I'd hate to blow the sub considering how much they cost. I guess I'll run a set of coaxials in the rears and the separates in the front. This can be one expensive hobby.

Thanks for all the feedback, it will definitely help me make an informed decision.

Brian