Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How to go about Sound Deadening the G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to go about Sound Deadening the G?

my current setup includes a set of component speakers in the front doors running off the Bose amp (will be moving to a 2 channel amp over the winter) and a JL Audio 500/1 running a pair of JL 10w3v2's

my car is in need of some major sound deadening and damping. so, i am exploring my options.

my priorities are, in order of importance... 1) killing the vibrations from the bass in the trunk, 2) keeping the weight reasonable, and 3) blocking road noise from my noisy Toyo T1-S tires, and from my exhaust, which gets very boomy at highway speed/rpms.

i know from reading threads here in the forum, it is not necessary to blanket the entire car in Dynamat style damper. what i would like to know is what do you guys think are the most critical areas to damp to keep with my priorities, and what product would you recommend for those areas?

i am planning on starting with the rear deck as this is a source of particularly annoying vibration for me. i was thinkning of using something like Second Skin Audio's RattlePad, or perhaps even regular household carpet underlayment. (on a side note, while i have the rear deck exposed, should i remove the 6x9 speakers to allow the bass from the trunk to enter the car more freely? )

for the trunk itself, do you guys recommend a mat style damper or a liquid? it is especially important for my trunk lid, as it seems to vibrate at the point where my spoiler attaches.

i also planned to do the doors, but do not want to seal off the entire door cavity as the G has a problem with window motors blowing out.

i would appreciate any thoughts that you guys could contribute

Last edited by SI_G35Coupe; 10-19-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Bump

Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
I have started my deadening with CLD tiles from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com . About 25-30% coverage on the doors, rear deck, trunk and trunk lid. It's been very effective, but I have stock exhaust and quiet tires.

Fill the rear deck with minimally expanding spray foam (or clean terry towels if you want it removable) to keep it solid.

If you want more after that, going with some closed-cell foam and mass-loaded vinyl barrier (also from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com) and lay combo over every possible surface in the vehicle (including the roof), and it'll be coffin-quiet in there.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I recently bought some Rammat BXTII and its good stuff. I thought the foil would be to thin to work correctly but its good stuff.

I did my drivers side door only so far.

I got some modeling clay around the baffle/speaker. This is my first time using clay and I dont think I like it.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a roll of fibreglass insulation from Lowes 4" thick with paper backing cut to fit and stuffed under trunk cover ( I do not run with spare tire, just can of fix a flat)...very quiet now.