Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

To JL Cleansweep or not...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To JL Cleansweep or not...

I've searched and read many posts to answer this, but I've seen too many contradicting opinions on JL Audio Cleansweep. I need an iPod input interface to my HE. I definitely do not plan to replace the HE, so please don't recommend that as a better investment. I'm installing Diamond Audio S600s components and JL Audio 300/4 amp. Later I will replace the factory sub and add another JL amp for the new sub. But since the CS is not a cheap investment, I'd really like to get car audio experts’ opinion before I spend ~$400 on this thing. Here is what I've found on Cleansweep. Are these true?

- The factory Bose HE has flat output, so no need for CS.
- With CS installed, the steering wheel controls won't work (if this is true, my decision is easy - no CS!). But I've also read it depends on how you install the CS.
- PAC AAI NIS is a better and easier way to connect the iPod, and of course much cheaper (but does it work as well, and does it connect well to 05 G35 Bose?)
- All JL "slash" series amps accept balanced-differential inputs on the RCA input jacks, so all that's needed is a basic LOC.

Thanks in advance for all your answers!

Old 10-30-2005, 03:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by netwireless
The factory Bose HE has flat output, so no need for CS.
True

With CS installed, the steering wheel controls won't work
It's not that the steering wheel controls will or will not work. It's a matter of whether you SHOULD use them. The CS takes the signal from your HU and equalizes it flat, and stores this setting. If you use your HU's bass/treble or volume controls, theoretically you are adjusting the curve of the signal going into the CS, and you would have to make the CS "relearn" the saved EQ settings. However someone told me that this isn't really the case. I have not had the opportunity to test this so I can't tell you for sure whether you SHOULD or SHOULD NOT adjust the input going into the CS in any way (treble/bass/vol/etc).

PAC AAI NIS is a better and easier way to connect the iPod
Yes

does it connect well to 05 G35 Bose?
I don't know. I think so.

All JL "slash" series amps accept balanced-differential inputs on the RCA input jacks, so all that's needed is a basic LOC
Or not even a LOC but a cable with speaker wires at one end and an RCA plug at the other.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Werd. (I've tested this with a pink noise test disc and an RTA across the HU outputs. )

The only cars off of the top of my head that the CS is the best way to go are VWs with extreme dynamically-controlled EQ that changes with volume (all the bass goes away as the volume gets turned up), GM with the fixed-analog out to an amp, the new Prius with the JBL system, and the Acura TL with the multi-channel EQd HU output (and THAT can be done with an A/C EQS). Most every other car can done without one if you know how. The CSis mainly a way to get Tweeter-level installers feeling conident in doing OEM HU integration, because most of them shouldn't be doing it.

It's a $400 line driver with an AUX in as far as you're concerned.

Spend the money on better F speakers. The Diamond tweeters don't play as low as Morel, DLS, or Alpine X type. Try a set of DLS UP6 or Morel Dotech or Hybrid Ovation components. They will blow you away compared to your Diamonds, seriously.

Oh, and I don't think the OEM sub works after an OEM main amp replacement because I think the sub amp gets its signal from the main amp.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:56 PM
amthar & el_duderino, thanks for your responses. I'm sort of glad to hear that CS is not necessary, but seems every car stereo place I go don't know any other way to get this done in Northern CA, San Jose area. So I've got to print these comments and educate them! ;-)
As for speakers, I did listen to Morel and DLS, and compared them to the new DAs, which come with a silk tweeter. I loved the high-end Morel (~$1000) and high-end DLS ($1000) but I felt the DAs came close for a lot less (I found the S600s for ~$300 on the net). You are right, those do sound better, but I can't afford them. The lower end of those speakers did not sound as good to me, but this all depends on what you're after and what you like. I actually liked the newer DA S600s since I felt they were not as bright (harsh) and the sound coming from the tweeter seemed to blend better with the mids. I have not listened to Alphine X-type. BTW, any recommendations on where you can find Morel and DLS for a good price? Maybe I can find their higher-end models for lower cost and go with one of those instead?

Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:43 PM
The highest-end DLS model whose tweeter will fit is the UP6. Ask amthar how his sounded.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:08 AM
I assume you have a sedan. Regardless, I am proof-of-concept that a system CAN be built out from the OEM HU that sounds really good. For reference, I have an 04 Coupe that HAD the Premium Bose system (though the HU is the same in both premium and non-premium systems). Yes, it will never sound as good as if you build out a system from an aftermarket HU, but you can get pretty darn close with the OEM HU... and that's all I wanted considering I wanted to maintain stock look.

El_duderino has recently built a system using the OEM HU in a sedan.

Don't listen to them if they say it "can't" be done. Some of the excuses/lies/ignorance they used with me were:

"The signal coming from the HU is 'too low' to use"
"The signal coming from the HU is heavily equalized"
"I wouldn't try and build a system with the OEM HU without using [insert specific brand of speakers here, or the CS, or an install solution here] because you have a REALLY nice car and I wouldn't want to put some hodge-podge solution in it"

Tweeter REALLY tried to push on me Focal, a CS, Dynamat (everywhere they could imagine) and every other expensive brand-name item they could think of. My GUESS is that they figured because I drive a G35, I have to have money, and I have "good taste" and so I would unquestioningly go with his "Dream System" (as he called it) that priced out at $3000. Left a real bad taste in my mouth for installers, decided to do the install myself.

Just be careful out there with shops. I'm sure there are great ones, but when you drive a car like an infiniti (or perhaps anything other than a civic) they think you're 'stupid money.'

While I'm no expert, I'd be more than willing to tell any installer you go with how I did my install and how it's turned out so far.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
amthar, can't agree with you more. I went to two places and they both tried to sell me the "dream system", costing more than $2000 for just getting an amp and 2 front comp speakers and gave me the excuses you mentioned, . Do you have a list of components on your car, or a DIY? As I mentioned, all I want to do for now is to replace the front factory speakers, add a 4 channel JL 300/4 amp (so I can use the extra two channels later on for rear speakers) and be done. Later I will add another amp and a sub.
Thanks.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 PM
I'd just use the back end of the 300 to run the sub and not get the rear speakers. It will sound better, be cheaper, have a better front image, and all that.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:54 PM
I am running a fused monster audio 4ga. wire from battery to a JL 500/5 (4ga. wire for ground). JL 500/5 is powering a set of DLS UP6 components in front, and currently nothing in the rear. Sub channel is powering a JL 10w6v2d4 wired in parallel @ 1ohm in a 4080 sub box. I am using IXOS twisted pair RCAs for converting the speaker wire inputs (that were originally going into the Bose amp) into RCAs for the JL 500/5. Had to build MDF spacer rings to adapt the huge stock holes where the Bose speakers mounted in the door down to the size of the UP6 woofers (3/4" MDF). Also purchased 7/16" weatherproof foam tape and put it on top of the spacer rings to create a better seal between the spacer rings/woofer and the door panel's stock speaker-cutout.

Still need to install sound deadening.

No DIY but I can always answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:19 PM
so does anyone recommend the clean sweep? I was told it would make a hell of a diffrence. anyone? thasnks RX

Old 12-31-2005, 07:27 PM
I put in a set of Focal front componets, a focal 11" sub, two MTX amps, a HI/
lO converter and an alpine DSP surround sound processor and I am truly impressed with the sound. The EQ in the alpine unit is more than enough to cure any sound issues with the stock bose head unit. I have heard many after market systems that sound far worse than mine. Id say pass on the CS and get a decent EQ.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
I assume you have a sedan. Regardless, I am proof-of-concept that a system CAN be built out from the OEM HU that sounds really good. For reference, I have an 04 Coupe that HAD the Premium Bose system (though the HU is the same in both premium and non-premium systems). Yes, it will never sound as good as if you build out a system from an aftermarket HU, but you can get pretty darn close with the OEM HU... and that's all I wanted considering I wanted to maintain stock look.

El_duderino has recently built a system using the OEM HU in a sedan.

Don't listen to them if they say it "can't" be done. Some of the excuses/lies/ignorance they used with me were:

"The signal coming from the HU is 'too low' to use"
"The signal coming from the HU is heavily equalized"
"I wouldn't try and build a system with the OEM HU without using [insert specific brand of speakers here, or the CS, or an install solution here] because you have a REALLY nice car and I wouldn't want to put some hodge-podge solution in it"

Tweeter REALLY tried to push on me Focal, a CS, Dynamat (everywhere they could imagine) and every other expensive brand-name item they could think of. My GUESS is that they figured because I drive a G35, I have to have money, and I have "good taste" and so I would unquestioningly go with his "Dream System" (as he called it) that priced out at $3000. Left a real bad taste in my mouth for installers, decided to do the install myself.

Just be careful out there with shops. I'm sure there are great ones, but when you drive a car like an infiniti (or perhaps anything other than a civic) they think you're 'stupid money.'

While I'm no expert, I'd be more than willing to tell any installer you go with how I did my install and how it's turned out so far.

I hate to bust your bubble but I manage a Tweeter store and if you think a
G35 is a vehicle that " People with money drive" you are clearly mistaken. We regularly work on Porsche's, Benz's, BMW, and Bentley's.
And $3000 to do a dream system? WTF? We would laugh at you if you brought that to us. Seeing we just completed a $250,000 system that will be showed at this years CES in Vegas. By the way it is equipped with Focal gear, 3 pair of Focal Utopia speakers $6k a set. Buy some. I'm out.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:19 AM
Anyone that actually dropped a quarter mil retail on a Tweeter-installed system shouldn't be allowed to drive a car.

And some of the worst show installs I've ever seen have been at CES.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by bb996+r1
I hate to bust your bubble but I manage a Tweeter store and if you think a
G35 is a vehicle that " People with money drive" you are clearly mistaken. We regularly work on Porsche's, Benz's, BMW, and Bentley's.
And $3000 to do a dream system? WTF? We would laugh at you if you brought that to us. Seeing we just completed a $250,000 system that will be showed at this years CES in Vegas. By the way it is equipped with Focal gear, 3 pair of Focal Utopia speakers $6k a set. Buy some. I'm out.
Tell your customer Im very sorry. Also if hed like a bandaid for his assraping.

$6K for a set of Focals? LMFAO your too much.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
Anyone that actually dropped a quarter mil retail on a Tweeter-installed system shouldn't be allowed to drive a car.

And some of the worst show installs I've ever seen have been at CES.

Well put

and

+1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: To JL Cleansweep or not...