Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What do i need to use my stock head unit with an additional amp and 2 12s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do i need to use my stock head unit with an additional amp and 2 12s

Hey guys, I just got a new G and I want to put in a 800w Kicker amp and my 2 12's.

My question is, do I need some kind of adapter to use these with the stock head unit?
Will they sound good with stock head unit?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by BigSash
Hey guys, I just got a new G and I want to put in a 800w Kicker amp and my 2 12's.

My question is, do I need some kind of adapter to use these with the stock head unit?
Will they sound good with stock head unit?

Thanks
BTW it's a sedan

Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 PM
i don't think kicker amps have "balanced" RCA input, so you will need a line output converter, aka LOC. it gets spliced into the speaker wires coming from the stock amp (under the trunk floor if you have the Bose) and gives you a set of RCA outputs to run to the amp. you can find the list of wire colors going to the bose amp somewhere on here. that is the easy part.

IMO the hardest part was running the power cable from the battery all the way back to the trunk. not sure how to run it in the sedan as i have a coupe.

as for them sounding "good", that depends. the stock speakers running off the bose amp are lacking in the clarity department as well as bass output. your pair of 12"ers will definitely solve the bass output, but overall it may still lack the clarity in the highs

with 2 12's pushing 800w you will probably have a serious vibration problem. i would recommend dynamatting (or another brand, personally i just ordered a bunch of Damplifier Pro from Second Skin Audio) since my pair of JL 10"s makes my spoiler sound like it's gonna blow right off the trunk if you really crank it.

Last edited by SI_G35Coupe; 12-04-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
i don't think kicker amps have "balanced" RCA input, so you will need a line output converter, aka LOC. it gets spliced into the speaker wires coming from the stock amp (under the trunk floor if you have the Bose) and gives you a set of RCA outputs to run to the amp. you can find the list of wire colors going to the bose amp somewhere on here. that is the easy part.

IMO the hardest part was running the power cable from the battery all the way back to the trunk. not sure how to run it in the sedan as i have a coupe.

as for them sounding "good", that depends. the stock speakers running off the bose amp are lacking in the clarity department as well as bass output. your pair of 12"ers will definitely solve the bass output, but overall it may still lack the clarity in the highs

with 2 12's pushing 800w you will probably have a serious vibration problem. i would recommend dynamatting (or another brand, personally i just ordered a bunch of Damplifier Pro from Second Skin Audio) since my pair of JL 10"s makes my spoiler sound like it's gonna blow right off the trunk if you really crank it.
Where did you dynamat? just trunk?

Old 12-05-2005, 01:11 AM
nowhere yet... i'm going to do parts of the trunk and the doors first, then in the spring when i have time to take apart the rear seat area i'll do back there

my sound deadener should be delivered tomorrow or tuesday

Old 12-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
i don't think kicker amps have "balanced" RCA input, so you will need a line output converter, aka LOC.
Not only do you need a LOC, but a LOC that converts differential-balanced inputs to single-ended inputs. Not all LOCs do this. Soundgate makes some that do (I think the LOCPREA is one).

Old 12-05-2005, 03:26 PM
If Bose, a simple splice of a set of RCAs behind the HU or prior to the amp will suffice. The signal being sent is a non amplified, flat. No need for a LOC which converts High level (amplified) to low level.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
LOCs also convert balanced to single ended. Many amps don't need them, but I bet the Kicker does.

With the Kicker, I'd use a Soundgate LOCPREA myself

Old 12-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm sorry but what exactly is an LOC? and where can I get one/research them further?

Also... anyone know where I can, "find the list of wire colors going to the bose amp somewhere on here."

Thanks again

Old 12-05-2005, 04:00 PM
K so to answer my own question

LOC = Line Output Converter

I'm guessing the LOCPREA is an LOC pre amp?

thx

Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
LOCs also convert balanced to single ended. Many amps don't need them, but I bet the Kicker does.

With the Kicker, I'd use a Soundgate LOCPREA myself
Line Output Converter Part # LOCPREA

The LOCPREA is for you if you've got a factory amplified system and want to eliminate the factory amp. Full DC isolation, full bandwith frequency response, high voltage output, a subsonic filter, and a slight bass boost add up to an awesome way of adding amps to any factory amplified system.
The passive design means it can't be used in systems where AC voltage is very low (some Toyota and Lexus systems, for example).

Do I want to eliminate the factory amp? if so why?

Thanks

Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by BigSash
Do I want to eliminate the factory amp? if so why?
the LOC can be used to attach an aftermarket amplifier to the stock sound system, which people would do if they wanted to eliminate the stock amp. in your case, you just want to add on to it, but it works the same way.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:46 PM
so how do you add to it? and how did you wire the power in your coupe?

Old 12-08-2005, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by Jester4710
so how do you add to it? and how did you wire the power in your coupe?
for the coupe, you splice into the output wiring of the Bose amp in the trunk with the LOC... i will post the wiring colors below. i attached mine to the "rear" output wires from the bose which feed the rear 6x9 speakers.

as for running power, it's gotta come from the battery. you can enter the car behind the battery (there is a grommet with all the wiring running to the engine from the ECU behind the glovebox... you punch a small hole in the rubber grommet, run the wire thru, and then make sure to seal it with silicon to keep moisture out). then i ran down along the passenger side of the car to behind the rear seat. below the rear seat in the back there are openings into the trunk on both sides.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:05 PM
that sounds like a hassel. i think ill just have someone else install my system.