Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

question about satellite radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cup0spam
It's literally plug and play... What do you think looks so hard about those instructions?
Plug and play? Not really, did you even look over those instructions? And, where do you find the cover for above the rear window? And, what happens if the unit is defective? From my experience, electronic stuff isn't covered if you install yourself.

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 12-11-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, it's so easy. The new antenna is a bit different, doesn't have that cover, its just a small magnetic one. I went with the install inside the rear window, and just put velcro on the antenna. Sticks well to the carpety stuff back there. That way you can run the cord through the rear seat pass through and don't have to drill any holes. For pete's sake, just try it yourself, if you can't figure it out, then go to the dealer and let them charge you 300 bucks for the labor...

Old 12-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Sounds half a$$ed to me! Sometimes DIY messes up your car! When it comes time to sell your car, if it's done right makes a big difference!

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 12-11-2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Sounds half a$$ed to me! Sometimes DIY messes up your car! When it comes time to sell your car, if it's done right makes a big difference!
If you want to pay the 700-800 to a dealer and have them stick that ugly antenna on the roof go ahead. Those instructions are overly complex, and yes I suppose with a roof install you are pulling out the window seals, so there is more to screw up, but almost no-one does the roof install themselves.

A rear-deck install takes 20 minutes if you know what your doing and most people can do it under an hour for the first time. There's very little to "screw up." You don't have to pull away the lining and you don't have to cut anything, so yes it is Plug and Play.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
If you want to pay the 700-800 to a dealer and have them stick that ugly antenna on the roof go ahead. Those instructions are overly complex, and yes I suppose with a roof install you are pulling out the window seals, so there is more to screw up, but almost no-one does the roof install themselves.

A rear-deck install takes 20 minutes if you know what your doing and most people can do it under an hour for the first time. There's very little to "screw up." You don't have to pull away the lining and you don't have to cut anything, so yes it is Plug and Play.
Where do you find the rear deck antenna, or is it the same one as the roof antenna?

Old 12-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Its the same; you put it over the child seat anchor; You fish the wire under the felt behind the backseat and into trunk. grubbs also sells a window mount antenna that some people like, but the oem antenna works perfectly for me.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:32 AM
got it and installed today. once i gave up on the dealer install instructions, or the instructions i posted earlier it was easy..mounted it on top of the amp with 6 pieces of the spongy double-sided tape they provide, hooked it into the wire harness, and ran the antenna wire from the back window behind the seat into the trunk. 15 minutes.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Also for improved reception you can place a small metal plate under the antenna...

Old 12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by SparkyG35
got it and installed today. once i gave up on the dealer install instructions, or the instructions i posted earlier it was easy..mounted it on top of the amp with 6 pieces of the spongy double-sided tape they provide, hooked it into the wire harness, and ran the antenna wire from the back window behind the seat into the trunk. 15 minutes.
Told ya it was easy.

I just thought of something the other day though. If you mount it with double-sided tape, you might want to run an extra wire from the radio to the mount to make sure its grounded. I did the exact install as you and I think I'm gonna go ahead and ground it properly this weekend, just to be extra safe.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Meeno24
Told ya it was easy.

I just thought of something the other day though. If you mount it with double-sided tape, you might want to run an extra wire from the radio to the mount to make sure its grounded. I did the exact install as you and I think I'm gonna go ahead and ground it properly this weekend, just to be extra safe.
i didn't worry about it because there was no screw on the unit to attach the ground wire, and no groundwire was supplied with the kit.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:41 PM
i didn't worry about it because there was no screw on the unit to attach the ground wire, and no groundwire was supplied with the kit.
Right, but, isn't it intended to be mounted directly to that metal bracket? I guess it wouldn't have worked properly from the get go if it needed it. Maybe there's a ground wire in the connector to the amp...

Old 12-14-2005, 07:35 PM
This is awsome, I'm gonna order a set soon. Thanks guys

Old 12-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Meeno24
Right, but, isn't it intended to be mounted directly to that metal bracket? I guess it wouldn't have worked properly from the get go if it needed it. Maybe there's a ground wire in the connector to the amp...

My kit came with a ground wire and the unit had a screw on it. The bose amp is suppose to be on the metal bracket, the sat receiver mounts next to it on foam adhesives directly to the bed of the trunk.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
My kit came with a ground wire and the unit had a screw on it. The bose amp is suppose to be on the metal bracket, the sat receiver mounts next to it on foam adhesives directly to the bed of the trunk.
they changed the kit at some point. the old tuner had two antenna ports and you needed a splitter...mine had no ground screw, one antenna port, and no splitter.
I also couldn't mount it next to the bracket because 1) the spacer they provided in the kit was about half the size of the one described in the instructions and 2) there is a post for holding the wiring to the rear taillamps.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Premier Member

$302 with shipping for the OEM Sirius receiver and windshield antenna
You might want to get a refund. $160~ from EverythingG35.com right now!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: question about satellite radio