Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

question about satellite radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:27 PM
jrc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
You might want to get a refund. $160~ from EverythingG35.com right now!

I see it there for $260??? If I can get OEM satellite for sub $200, I'll cancel my PXNI order that I was planning to use with my non-factory XM receiver (a MyFi).

Old 12-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrc
I see it there for $260??? If I can get OEM satellite for sub $200, I'll cancel my PXNI order that I was planning to use with my non-factory XM receiver (a MyFi).
Take a look at this thread for the deal:

https://g35driver.com/forums/exterior-vendor/79058-satellite-radio-special.html

Excellent price!!

Albert

Old 12-22-2005, 08:13 PM
jrc
Originally Posted by akrus
Take a look at this thread for the deal:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79058

Excellent price!!

Albert

Thanks for the info . I went ahead and ordered an XM kit - so that should leave around 3 left (when I phoned them up, they still had 4). At least with the OEM kit I can install it myself and not have to pay for an install setup like I would with the auxillary input device. Now I just need to decide whether to sell my MyFi or have 2 XM subscriptions....

Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Meeno24 and anyone else that has done the rear shelf antenna install - how has the reception been with this method? Any issues with the radio losing signal from time to time since it is not mounted on the roof or trunk? Thanks!

Old 12-23-2005, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35MoneyPit
Meeno24 and anyone else that has done the rear shelf antenna install - how has the reception been with this method? Any issues with the radio losing signal from time to time since it is not mounted on the roof or trunk? Thanks!
I'm in Canada and as Sirius and XM were just given the green light to start selling up here, terrestrial repeaters are far and few between. Mind you, they are coming up quickly. A couple of years ago, driving through Toronto made XM unusable as the buildings would block the antenna's view of the sats. Now, it's not a problem at all. I was just in Toronto last weekend and XM worked perfectly.

My antenna is on the rear decklid, inside my car. I haven't mounted it permanently (it's just sitting behind the passenger side head rest, on the carpet material) as I was concerned about reception. I am planning to mount it there as it's been working fine. On my commute, I have one area that causes a drop out of about 2 seconds, but other than that, it's not an issue for me.

One other thing I should mention is that I don't have tint. I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not, but I would test mount until certain, especially if it's a metallic based tint.

Albert

Old 12-23-2005, 09:04 AM
I have mine mounted on the rear deck. I have no reception problems. I did put a metal plate under it, which seems to improve reception by about 20%.

If you have metallic tint on your rear window it can be a problem other than it’s the best install IMO.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. I definately want to try the rear shelf install first and try and avoid the appearance of the antenna outside the car. I do have tint but I don't think it is metallic, so hopefully this won't be a problem. I'll also try mounting the antenna to a piect of sheet metal. Did you just buy some at the hardware store, shape it to the antenna base then glue them together?

Old 12-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll also try mounting the antenna to a piect of sheet metal. Did you just buy some at the hardware store, shape it to the antenna base then glue them together?
I would be interested in this information as well. Pictures would be great

Thanks.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I definately want to try the rear shelf install first and try and avoid the appearance of the antenna outside the car. I do have tint but I don't think it is metallic, so hopefully this won't be a problem. I'll also try mounting the antenna to a piect of sheet metal. Did you just buy some at the hardware store, shape it to the antenna base then glue them together?
I can try to get a picture. Its just a piece of sheet metal about 3 inches by 5 inches that’s painted black. I will double-check the measurements. There's no need to use glue because there is a really strong magnet in the antenna. I just got a piece of scrap sheet metal and cut it. You can buy full sheets of it at most hardware stores; just make sure its steel and not aluminum.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Awesome, thanks for the tip bro! Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2005, 11:59 PM

Yeah, it's cool for the most part. I get some areas down here where the thick palm trees will block the signal for a minute or two. I thought it might be the install location, but was riding in a friend's Magnum and he hit head spots pretty much the same places I did. I also have tint (20%) on the rear window. Basically, I doubt there's any difference between the rear deck and the roof.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Sim
do u need to ground the unit?

I hav an 06 coupe

Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Sim
do u need to ground the unit?

I hav an 06 coupe
The install kit that came with my radio didn't include any cables for grounding. I assume everything needed comes through the harness connector, so I wouldn't worry about it. Mine works fine!

Old 12-28-2005, 12:44 AM
Sim
ya mine neither, I just installed, and came back to my computer to look at the guide to see if I missed anything, and he grounded his SAT radio, so made me wonder if not havin it will harm our cars in any way