Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Mike's radar mount on 06s???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2005 | 12:49 PM
|
Mike's radar mount on 06s???

I was trying to install the mount on my 06 G today and it wouldnt fit! The mirror stem wouldnt fit into the semi circle of the bottom part of the mount. Either the mirror stem got bigger from the 05 ( i doubt ) or the mount he sent me is defective?? It seems the diameter is smaller by atleast a couple of millimeters. Has anyone used the mount successfully on an 06 yet?? The diameter of the oval hole with the top part screwed in is about 20mm ( from left to right, about midway through the hole ) and 18 mm from top to bottom. Did I get a defective one??

Old 12-22-2005 | 04:40 PM
Shoot, I responded in the other thread you dont have homelink, but you do, don't you? Well, in that case, I'm not sure, but I do know he said he made them for the 3/4" dia posts, but I measured mine today (non homelink mirror) and the dia measured .92", so I'm expecting to have to sand my mount down when I get it (hopefully today).

Old 12-22-2005 | 04:50 PM
Ooops, that's bad news for me too. Mine should be here any day. :\ Time for a trip to the machine shop.

Old 12-22-2005 | 05:40 PM
|
Yeah I dont know whats up with the mount, I do have the homelink Well I emailed Mike, lets see what he says. I went ahead and used the cups as you can see in the other thread. Whats a easy way to measure the diameter of that post? Where is a Vernier caliper when you need one....

Old 12-22-2005 | 06:13 PM
U have the same problem I did with my 05 when I tried to use Mike's mount. Mine had the same oval shape so the mount wouldn't fit...last time I talked to Mike he was looking for a one of the new mirror to get the dimensions and fabricate a mount for it.
Mine is an 05 w/o prem pack hence no homelink mirror.

Old 12-22-2005 | 07:29 PM
|
Originally Posted by Beta99
U have the same problem I did with my 05 when I tried to use Mike's mount. Mine had the same oval shape so the mount wouldn't fit...last time I talked to Mike he was looking for a one of the new mirror to get the dimensions and fabricate a mount for it.
Mine is an 05 w/o prem pack hence no homelink mirror.
So it wouldnt fit the 05 w/o homelink, and it doesnt fit the 06 w/homelink??? So it wont work on any 05+ G35s??? Anyone else get it work????

Old 12-22-2005 | 11:00 PM
Okay, just finished installing the mount. It took a little shaving with a Dremel tool, but after enlarging the hole just a bit, it fits like its supposed to. I would suggest to you guys that you try and modify the hole yourslelf instead of returning it, it is a very nice mount overall. The body is actually plastic (probably nylon), so you can sandpaper it if thats all you got, though it'll take a little while. It doesn't take much sanding to fit, just widen the hole as well as deepening it. If anything, don't take too much off, or else you'll be adding a spacer like me.

HOpefully Mike can figure out which vehicles have this type of mirror post vs the 3/4" tube ones for future purchasers.

Old 12-22-2005 | 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by dartmouth01
Okay, just finished installing the mount. It took a little shaving with a Dremel tool, but after enlarging the hole just a bit, it fits like its supposed to. I would suggest to you guys that you try and modify the hole yourslelf instead of returning it, it is a very nice mount overall. The body is actually plastic (probably nylon), so you can sandpaper it if thats all you got, though it'll take a little while. It doesn't take much sanding to fit, just widen the hole as well as deepening it. If anything, don't take too much off, or else you'll be adding a spacer like me.

HOpefully Mike can figure out which vehicles have this type of mirror post vs the 3/4" tube ones for future purchasers.
Sorry for the problem guys. It looks like the new G35's have the molded mirror rods that are bigger. I tried to buy the new mirror rod from the dealer but they only sell the rod with the mirror for about $375.00!! Anyone that can send me the dimensions that I can use to machine the mount or a rod to measure I will send a free mount. I will send the rod back the next day and pay the freight both ways.

Once I have the dimensions I will replace all the mounts that are wrong.
Mike Peronek the mount maker

Old 12-23-2005 | 12:33 AM
Hey Mike,

If no one else offers to send you the rod, I can take measurements with a set of calipers tomorrow and shoot them off to you via email. If you want, you can just refund half of the cost of the mount I bought. But if someone's willing to send you a rod, thats probably best, because the rod isn't exactly round, its more squarish with very rounded edges. Or perhaps going to the dealer and checking out one of the new cars on the showroom? i'm sure you can find a dealer willing to let you do measurements and check out a few different models if you trade them a mount......