Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

JL Slash amps...no loc needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by htn
is there another pair for the subs from the headnunit too?
what subs? Do you have the sedan?

Old 03-07-2006, 02:49 PM
htn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6x9 bose subs

Old 03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Do you have the sedan or coupe?

Old 03-07-2006, 04:11 PM
htn
coupe boss

Old 03-07-2006, 04:12 PM
htn
just hook up everything,,,,,,, amp is on, but no music??

Old 03-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Please explain how you hooked up everything. Leave no detail out.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:22 PM
htn
Head Output Front Right + Orange/Blue
Head Output Front Right - White/Blue

Head Output Front Left + White
Head Output Front Left - Orange

Head Output Rear Right + Blue
Head Output Rear Right - Pink

Head Output Rear Left + Teal
Head Output Rear Left - Purple

Remote Wire Light Blue/ Silver

that's what i did, connecting them to peripheral sven4 loc, thn going out to the amp,,,,,,,,,, not sure what else i need to explain

Old 03-07-2006, 04:45 PM
how are the speakers connected to the amp?

Old 03-07-2006, 05:30 PM
htn
thru 16 gauge stinger speaker wires,,,going to crossover splitting up to tweeters and woofer??? I check everything, + and - to make sure. I tested the amp in my other car, which work fine though

all i hear is hissing noise, even when i turn the head unit off,,,,I wonder why is the amp still on when the head unit is off????

Old 03-07-2006, 10:49 PM
which wire did you connect to the remote turn on lead on the amp?

Old 03-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
He meant "aftermarket", I think.

Many aftermarket systems say "balanced inputs" but they mean "balanced-compatible inputs".

True balanced (like in a pro XLR connector) means a (+), a (-), and an audio GND (in the Bose system, this is referenced to chassis ground, I believe, or is a single seperate wire), and inversion summing circuitry on the input to get rid of inducted noise. All the balanced-compatible inputs use the (+) and lack any ability to do the inversion summing that gets rid of any inducted noise.

That's why you better use twisted pair
The third wire in the balanced system you speak of is a cable shield ground. What purpose would an "audio GND" serve on the input side of a differential signal? The signal is carried in the relative voltage between the (+) and (-). Connecting the (-) to a "balanced compatible" amp that just ties this end to ground sounds like an easy way to blow something if the input isn't a virtual ground. I'm just surprised that it's not more common given it's noise properties and how cheaply it can be implemented in hardware.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I meant common shield ground, as I'm certain you know. The shield ground in an RCA is often referred to by non-EE's as audio ground, and they are the audience.

You speak in a contradiction. Whoever besides you said that "balanced-compatible" amps ground the RCA input shield? No one I know.

I suggest that part of this very definition of "balanced-compatible" is that the amp NOT ground the input shield.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
I meant common shield ground, as I'm certain you know. The shield ground in an RCA is often referred to by non-EE's as audio ground, and they are the audience.

You speak in a contradiction. Whoever besides you said that "balanced-compatible" amps ground the RCA input shield? No one I know.

I suggest that part of this very definition of "balanced-compatible" is that the amp NOT ground the input shield.
Perhaps my understanding of the balanced-compatible inputs on the "balanced-compatible" amps are incorrect. I'll explain my thoughts on it and you can correct me if I'm wrong:

Balanced differential signals are just that: differential signals. The data is present in the differential between the (+) and (-). Relative to a fixed ground, both the (-) and (+) swing when the encoded signal swings. The left and right channels each have a 2-wire differential pair encoding them.

The balanced-compatible inputs on the JL amps are again RCA-connector type. On a normal ground-referenced signal, the center of the RCA connector is the signal and the outer portion is the ground shield connection. On the balanced-compatible amps, the center of the RCA is treated as a differential (+) and the outer portion as a differential (-). That is, the outer portion of the RCA is actually a floating differential ground and is not tied to a fixed earth ground internally. This allows it to be compatible with either a ground-referenced signal or a differential signal, since a ground-referenced signal looks just like a differential signal with a fixed (-).

So when I wire up my JL amp to my OEM differential wiring, I'll hack up an RCA cable and connect the center to the differential (+) and the cable shield to the differential (-), and plug the RCA right in to the amp.

So it's not that balanced-compatible amps "ground" the cable shield, they just use it as a virtual reference ground that can float.

Last edited by MechEE; 03-14-2006 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JL 500/1 and 10w6v2. Used Twisted RCA's and tapped them into the speaker wires close to the Bose sub (after the Bose Amp). Hook up a ground block close to spare tire and ran my remote to the front fuse panel. I have zero noise

Thanks for all the info and tips

Old 03-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of feedback here, but I recommend that you do not use the speaker wire level inputs, and get a converter. You may want to look at the David Navone line of converters (simply the BEST). They are adjustable, up to 9V preouts, and are top notch all the way.

If you convert the connection to an RCA, then running a high quality set (twisted pair, etc) will reduce the line noise, produce and carry a better signal, and with the adjustments, you will be able to run the amps at a lower level. I have installed several of these convers... the best product available.

http://www.davidnavone.com/

(model N-684V for 4 channel - $45)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JL Slash amps...no loc needed?