Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

JL Slash amps...no loc needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL Slash amps...no loc needed?

Ok, here it goes.... i would like to install a 500/1 amp in my 2004 bose equipped g35 coupe, i understand that the head unit sends out a flat signal and i dont need a line out converter because the jl amps accept balanced inputs.... i need to tap the singnal before it gets to the amp (in the trunk already seen pix and the bose color wire combo's i need to tap) i will be tapping into the rear deck 6X9 there are (+) and (-) wires for each speaker (L) (R). i have heard that cutting up rca cables could be very difficult, is there anyone willing to show me how to cut up these cables and tap the 6X9's. i am in North Jersey........ If not..... the rca cables that i bought are just like these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5847038198 the only diffrence is i didnt buy them off ebay. They have 4 male endings on them. On the back of the package it shows what these cables look like when cut there is white and red wire twisted and there is a yellow and green wire twisted and then some other wire which looks to me somthing like a ground maybe? if i had to guess i think i would go to radio shack a but some of those quick taps thingys and hook up the (+L) with the red and white wires, and the (-L) with the green and yellow wires and plug that rca into the L ch input section on the amp and repeat the same thing with the other side, the R side....... Stereo Experts feel free to chime in and help the beginner.....

Old 01-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by BlackG35th
i will be tapping into the rear deck 6X9 there are (+) and (-) wires for each speaker (L) (R).
you need to tap the lines coming INTO the amp, not OUT of the amp to the rear 6x9's

the wiring colors to tap the HEAD UNIT OUTPUT (which is the balanced signal that the 500/1 can take) is below. you splice your bare RCA wires into those wires, then plug the RCA end of them into the 500/1

Head Output Front Right + Orange/Blue
Head Output Front Right - White/Blue

Head Output Front Left + White
Head Output Front Left - Orange

Head Output Rear Right + Blue
Head Output Rear Right - Pink

Head Output Rear Left + Teal
Head Output Rear Left - Purple

Remote Wire Light Blue/ Silver

Old 01-04-2006, 07:52 PM
I think BlackG35th means, once you cut the ends off the 1 side of the RCA's, how do you connect it to wire going into the stock amp. I personally never cut a pair of RCA's open, so I don't know what they look like inside.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You aren't cutting RCA's open (but they are either a pair of twisted wires or a coaxial cable with a foil shield wrapped around a jacketed wire).

You have four insulated wires in a jacket... but there's 6 inches or so outside the jacket between the end of the jacekt and the amp connector. There is some black plastic wrapped around the wire, and if you gently pull that off you can see the wires themselves.

A word: If you tap into a preamp signal for a bass amp AND leave the OEM amp in place playing mids and highs, there is a POSSIBILITY that you will introduce a ground loop in that circuit and get engine noise in the OEM amp on the channels you tap. Not a sure thing, just a possibility, but keep it in mind. This is one of the reasons that lots of installers tap the speaker outputs from the amp instead of of the preamp signals INTO the amp, is that the speaker-wire taps don't run that risk of introduing noise into the OEM speakers.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:55 PM
El duderino, ok now after i remove the black plastic wrapping i should see the wires them selves, could these be the small twisted red and white wires and the green and yellow wires i saw on the back of the package?

Also i will be tapping the "preamplified signal" (the signal after the headunit but before the amp) will i still get road noise, is there anyother solutions so i dont get this, i stumbled across a post some one soldered female rca's to the oem amp would this work? im open to any methods, i could always return the rca's i still have the recipt and box, and i havent yet cut them.
*On a side note i am looking for optimum sound quality working with what i have so if getting an loc or pac would be better plez let me kno. i'd rather take my time and get it right rather than rush into it and do it wrong..... infiniti is replacing my stock bose headunit on the 10th so i may install my sub+amp later that day

Old 01-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are just adding a sub amp and want to leave the stock bose amp in place then just tap into the speaker outputs going to your 6x9's and use an LOC. That will work perfectly fine for your application.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by jeremyp111
If you are just adding a sub amp and want to leave the stock bose amp in place then just tap into the speaker outputs going to your 6x9's and use an LOC. That will work perfectly fine for your application.
your right about leaving the amp in place if your only doing subs, but the good thing about a 500/1 is that it has a switch on the amp by the rca inputs that select if the rca signal is high or low power so you dont need a high to low adaptor. just tap the rca +s and -s off the rear speaker leads respectively.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Also i will be tapping the "preamplified signal" (the signal after the headunit but before the amp) will i still get road noise,
Maybe. And it's not road noise... that's from the tires. I'd do it the way Arrivalanche refers to.

*On a side note i am looking for optimum sound quality
Well, engine noise doesn't help. If you really wanted SQ you'd have a 4-channel amp and front comps instead of just a sub

Old 01-05-2006, 03:19 AM
El duderino, although i would love comps in the front money dosent grow on trees and that is somthing i will have to save for.
*On a side note i am looking for optimum sound quality working with what i have so if getting an loc or pac would be better plez let me kno. i'd rather take my time and get it right rather than rush into it and do it wrong..... infiniti is replacing my stock bose headunit on the 10th so i may install my sub+amp later that day
Could someone explain how to tap the rear speakers +s and -s maybe come pix or do i have the right idea already

I am now thinking of getting a Loc or Pac which one would be better what are the pros and cons of each..... is it really worth it and if so what brands? i searched a little and i found that sound gate and stinger make pretty good loc's. Where do i have to hook that up? behind the head unit or could i do it in the trunk?

Ahhh..... HELP!! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! which one is it? To loc or not to loc that is the question.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Jl 500/

For what it's worth... I have a 500/ installed in my G. Used twisted pair RCA's and kind of skinned the insulation off of the line level side of the Bose amp inputs. Soldered the twisted pair RCA's onto the line level wires and then carefully taped up same. I apparently introduced no noise what so ever into the front circuit. I suspect that because the clarion/bose system is balanced, it's not as easy to create a noise addition. I also have a SOLID ground block very close to the bose amp. I like the fact that no extra signal mangling electronics are in the path. As El Duderino has said, the line side of the Bose/Clarion is FLAT and pretty clean.
Just my experience, YMMV.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by sofl_g
For what it's worth... I have a 500/ installed in my G. Used twisted pair RCA's and kind of skinned the insulation off of the line level side of the Bose amp inputs. Soldered the twisted pair RCA's onto the line level wires and then carefully taped up same. I apparently introduced no noise what so ever into the front circuit. I suspect that because the clarion/bose system is balanced, it's not as easy to create a noise addition. I also have a SOLID ground block very close to the bose amp. I like the fact that no extra signal mangling electronics are in the path. As El Duderino has said, the line side of the Bose/Clarion is FLAT and pretty clean.
Just my experience, YMMV.
There isnt any factory system that has true balanced outputs. The only thing you can get close to that is zapco amps. they have something that looks like a s-video cable. That is true balanced

Old 01-06-2006, 01:40 AM
El duderino, although i would love comps in the front money dosent grow on trees and that is somthing i will have to save for.

Could someone explain how to tap the rear speakers +s and -s maybe come pix or do i have the right idea already
you take a set of rca's and cut the ends off one side. strip each side back maybe 2 inches and seperate the sheilding from the center wire. then strip maybe 1 inch of the coating off the center wire. the center wires are your positive wires that you will connect to your positives of each speaker. then connect the sheilding to the negitive wire of the speakers. then just plug the rcas into the amp, and select hi input on the amp. its a switch right above the rca inputs.

i would do this over adding a loc. this is what this part of the amp is for so why add a external unit, you know what i mean?

Old 01-06-2006, 05:07 AM
Arrivalanche, Yes!!!! you are seeing my question!!! thank you!! haha i was on the verg of going crazy, ok when you say "connect the sheilding to the negitive wire of the speakers" do you mean the wire that looks like metal brades, almost like what braded brake lines look like? Gracias

Old 01-08-2006, 02:06 AM
yepper

Old 02-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Mod Junky!
So if I have a bose HU and plan to not use the bose amp, I can just take the pre outs from the headunit which go to the amp and wire it to a twisted set of RCAs and plug into the JL AMP?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JL Slash amps...no loc needed?