Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Comps. come alive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comps. come alive

I know a lot of you already know this, so this is more directed towards those who are non-belivers or are n00bs. Yesterday I finally got around to having sound dampening/deadening installed in my door panels and trunk. The difference in sound quality before and after is almost uncomparable. I am using dynamat (yes I know there is cheaper stuff out there) and the components now sound incredible. I never thought the difference could be so dramatic, but it is. I do not recommend but DEMAND that EVERYONE who install aftermarket comps also install some sort of sound dampening/deadening material.

Ok maybe not DEMAND, but really, it's awesome.

Sorry to all you "vets" that knew this already

Old 02-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lately i have been getting alot of vibration from the mids in the doors, to the point where it's starting to annoy me. another round of sound deadening is next on my list, possibly in conjunction with some type of rattle prevention like this (i had previously treated my trunk with 36sq feet of Damplifier Pro from Second Skin Audio)

amthar, what parts of the door did you do specifically, or did you just give all the panels a single layer? did you do the inner door as well (where the window goes?) what about the rear seat area?

Old 02-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I had Tweeter install the stuff for me, it was a hassle I was willing to pay someone else to do. I noticed that there is still a distinct rattle from my drivers door. The sound is consistant and localized to a specific spot, so I think I'll be able to find and fix it.

They installed a bulk pack of dynamat. They put it in the doors and the trunk. He said he put two layers in the doors and 4 layers in the trunk. He did not install any in the rear seat cavity. As for what he did inside the doors, I'm not sure, but I'll have a better idea when I get the door panel off (hopefully this weekend if weather permits).

Last edited by amthar; 02-14-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it does help a ton, eh?

Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 PM
i currently have 2 layers on my trunk lid, and a single layer on the rest of the trunk floor and walls. i am planning to order more once the weather warms up alittle to do the front doors, and possibly to add more to the trunk panels if it becomes necessary once i get my sub up and running.

i am getting a horrible buzzing rattle from the rear deck now, and alot of vibration from the mids in the doors (and if i put anything in the door pocket, forget it!). my first order of business is going to be taking apart the backseat, getting to the rear deck (possibly removing the 6x9's since i'm not going to be using any of the rear seat speakers) and damping that panel extensively.

after that, i'm planning on doing the outer and inner door skins with Second Skin's Damplifier Pro and then going with one of their closed or semiclosed cell pad type products between the door and the plastic

Old 02-09-2006, 02:23 PM
How was road noise in your car? I notice a lot of noise from the rear of the car and it's really getting to be unbearable.

Any recommendations on a product?

Old 02-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I most noticed road noise when the roads are wet. Unfortunately, I haven't had a day of wet roads to test and see how the road noise is now.

When the weather gets warmer I think I am going to install some in the rear seat cavity. I guess depending on how hard it is to remove the seats I may do the floor boards too... probably not (after all, I'm lazy).

Old 02-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Mod Junky!
How much dynamat did you end up buying for the install?

Old 02-14-2006, 11:14 AM
I stated this earlier in the thread. The bulk pack.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
When the weather gets warmer I think I am going to install some in the rear seat cavity. I guess depending on how hard it is to remove the seats I may do the floor boards too... probably not (after all, I'm lazy).
getting the rear seats out will have the backseat area stripped down to the floor anyways, so the carpet should be easy to remove. dont forget to do the rear deck where the 6x9's go... it rattles even without a sub (there's a TSB on it that doesn't seem to help anyway)

the front seats come out pretty easily... four 14mm bolts and 1-2 wiring harnesses... just remember to disconnect the battery before you do it otherwise you'll trigger an airbag light that'll require a dealer trip to reset)